AMEX UK Charge Card due date

Old Nov 29, 13, 6:57 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London
Programs: SPG Gold, QR Silver, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
Posts: 139
AMEX UK Charge Card due date

I have been trying to figure out how the due date for payments for the AMEX Platinum in the UK works.

The terms and conditions suggest that you have 30 days from the date the statement is produced to pay, otherwise a 12 charge is placed on your account. However, the due date on my statement is 14 days from the date that the statement was produced. I wrote to Amex, and this is the response I got:

I confirm that your account will be charged with a 12 late payment if you do not pay the full statement balance within 30 days of your statement generation date. However, the payment against your statement balance will get due 14 days after your statement generation date. This comes down to on or around 10th of every month

So which is it? "if you do not pay the full statements.....within 30 days" or "your statement balance will get due 14 days"...

Is this purposely left vague?
needroos is offline  
Old Nov 29, 13, 7:23 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,091
Originally Posted by needroos View Post
I have been trying to figure out how the due date for payments for the AMEX Platinum in the UK works.

The terms and conditions suggest that you have 30 days from the date the statement is produced to pay, otherwise a 12 charge is placed on your account. However, the due date on my statement is 14 days from the date that the statement was produced. I wrote to Amex, and this is the response I got:

I confirm that your account will be charged with a 12 late payment if you do not pay the full statement balance within 30 days of your statement generation date. However, the payment against your statement balance will get due 14 days after your statement generation date. This comes down to on or around 10th of every month

So which is it? "if you do not pay the full statements.....within 30 days" or "your statement balance will get due 14 days"...

Is this purposely left vague?
My understanding is that if you have a direct debit set-up against your account then the balance will be due 14 days after the actual statement, otherwise you have time up to 30 days to pay the balance in full. I have a [UK] Gold charge card and my statement always shows two dates: the direct debit and the balance due.
AlicorporateUK is offline  
Old Nov 29, 13, 7:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Posts: 1,900
For charge cards, you can ignore the due by date, unless you are paying by direct debit. It has to be paid in 30 days from the statement date.


As an example, my plat statement date is the 5th, and the statement shows a pay by date of the 18th.
I usually pay on the last day of the month or the 1st of the month, depending on where the weekend falls, as this obviously slows the payment down.




I actually had this confirmed to me in writing by amex UK.
I had a debit card payment fail from my bank (bank issue- not my fault) so unknown to me the payment for my BA PP credit card didn't go through, and as a result amex blocked all of my cards.
When I phoned up to correct this and to clear the credit card, it was something like the 25th of the month and the moron on the phone was adamant (to the point of rudeness) that I could not have my cards unblocked until the platinum charge had also been paid, as it was a week overdue, and that I was absolutely wrong that it had to be paid by the statement date despite me having done that every single month for the past 5 years.

When I complained I got a written apology, another letter giving written confirmation that charge card due dates differ from credit card due dates, and a phone call from someone higher up offering their apologies, a small credit to my account as a gesture of goodwill, and their assurances that the employee had been brought up to speed on the differences between charge & credit card due dates.
leaveamessage is offline  
Old Nov 29, 13, 8:40 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,781
Hmm, if that's true, then they certainly don't make it clear... I don't have a direct debit setup to pay of my plat charge card. Looking at the first page of statement which was issued a couple of days ago:

Date - 26/11/13
Next Statement Date - 25/12/13

Payment Due Date - 9 December 2013

Thank you for using our service. Please make sure your payment of #### reaches us by 9/12/2013.
And yet on the last page, we see

Interest Free Period - Interest is not charged as all outstanding balances must be repaid in full each month on this product.

Minimum Repayment - The outstanding balance must be repaid in full each month.
I wonder if it's worth an email to them to confirm it?
Gagravarr is offline  
Old Nov 29, 13, 8:49 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London
Programs: SPG Gold, QR Silver, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by Gagravarr View Post
Hmm, if that's true, then they certainly don't make it clear... I don't have a direct debit setup to pay of my plat charge card. Looking at the first page of statement which was issued a couple of days ago:



And yet on the last page, we see



I wonder if it's worth an email to them to confirm it?
Yes, exactly this is all very vague. But as I have copied in above, even their email response is vague.
needroos is offline  
Old Mar 11, 14, 9:21 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,781
I've just ended up querying this with them, and after a vague and contradictory first reply, they've now come back with:

I want to clarify that on your Platinum Charge Card you are required to make a full payment by the due date (14th days from the statement generation date) to avoid incurring a late payment fee. The 30 days time frame is in reference to the account going past due which will impact your credit history.
Not sure if this is what the T&Cs actually say... But it does seem to be a moderately consistent take on it.
Gagravarr is offline  
Old Mar 11, 14, 9:54 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by Gagravarr View Post
I've just ended up querying this with them, and after a vague and contradictory first reply, they've now come back with:

I want to clarify that on your Platinum Charge Card you are required to make a full payment by the due date (14th days from the statement generation date) to avoid incurring a late payment fee. The 30 days time frame is in reference to the account going past due which will impact your credit history.

Not sure if this is what the T&Cs actually say... But it does seem to be a moderately consistent take on it.
Nice unconfusing response there
It is however, utter crap.

I have NEVER had a late payment fee on my plat charge.
Statement date is the 4th, due date shown on statement is 18th, and I continue to pay on the last day of the month - as I have done for the past 7 years - so it hits my account on the 1st or 2nd of the month.
leaveamessage is offline  
Old Mar 11, 14, 10:49 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NB, Canada
Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Posts: 2,531
Originally Posted by leaveamessage View Post
Nice unconfusing response there
It is however, utter crap.

I have NEVER had a late payment fee on my plat charge.
Statement date is the 4th, due date shown on statement is 18th, and I continue to pay on the last day of the month - as I have done for the past 7 years - so it hits my account on the 1st or 2nd of the month.
Same here in Canada on my Amex charge card. The bill is due before the next statement cuts as follows:

"Payment of your balance in full must be received by the closing date of your next statement in order to avoid interest charges on the new charges appearing on this statement. Your payment due date is set 6 days before the closing date to allow for payment processing by your financial institution and weekends and holidays. However, please check with your own financial institution regarding processing delays."

I have paid in this window for years, to ensure payment goes through so I can see it 4 to 5 days before new statement cuts.

Never an issue with this payment system.
drwilliams is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 5:10 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NCL, LHR
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 149
Amex payment due date

Hi all

My statement date was June 26th and Amex has a payment due date on the website of July 9th.

However the T&Cs state that I have 30 days to pay. Is the 9th merely advisory or does it have to be paid by then to keep a clean credit report?

Thanks
James
JamesNCL is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 5:30 am
  #10  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,184
Do you have a charge card (Platinum, Gold, Green) or a credit card? Your account is issued in the UK?
mia is online now  
Old Jul 4, 16, 5:35 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NCL, LHR
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 149
Charge card issued in the UK
JamesNCL is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 5:39 am
  #12  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,184
Moderator action

I located a previous discussion of the same question. Scroll back to read the older posts, which I expect will prove helpful.
mia is online now  
Old Jul 5, 16, 9:18 am
  #13  
stc
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newton Centre, MA, USA
Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Posts: 2,166
IMO, Amex is simply trying to get people to pay as soon as possible. Money in their hands is better than money in your hands (for them).

I've never had a problem with paying on the next closing date ("Next Closing Date: 07/15/16" at the bottom of "View All Recent Activity") and they keep on sending me offers "Because you are such a good cardholder ...".
stc is offline  
Old Jun 12, 17, 8:06 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,156
Actual Payment Due date on UK charge cards

Is it still the case that the actual due date (Not the date shown on the statement) on UK AmEx charge cards is the day before the next statement is printed or has this changed?

I haven an upcoming payment which will be cheaper to make with my UK AmEx but don't normally use it.
reclusive46 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 17, 7:51 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by reclusive46 View Post
Is it still the case that the actual due date (Not the date shown on the statement) on UK AmEx charge cards is the day before the next statement is printed
Yes.
It will start to show the red 'payment overdue' message on the website on the next statement date if you haven't paid it by then.
leaveamessage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: