Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Canada: transfer MR to another person's Aeroplan account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Canada: transfer MR to another person's Aeroplan account?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Question Amex Canada: transfer MR to another person's Aeroplan account?

I have heard this is possible, can someone please confirm? I already added my own AP# under my account, but my father needs 5k, can I delete my account # and add his account # to complete the transfer?

Last edited by Jma12; Nov 21, 2013 at 9:23 pm
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
You can, but you have to call Amex customer service rep to unlink your AP account from you Amex account first. Then you can log in online to link your father's AP acount to your amex account.

To be safe, you should change your father's address in his AP account to your address first. After you finish transferring points, he can change the address back.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:49 pm

I actually don't know how easy it is to unlink-link to other-unlink again-link to self again
I haven't read many feedbacks from the above attempt on FT forum

Do keep us posted if you try it.

If it's only 5K he needs, probably easier to just top-up (3 cents per mile is $150), or if not in a rush, get a credit card with bonus (e.g. CIBC Aerogold 15K with fees, AMEX Gold 25K FYF, AMEX Aeroplan Gold 30K FYF)
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Cana2013 is correct in describing the steps that need to be taken.

Call Amex and simply request the existing Aeroplan account be delinked. I don't know for sure that the address on Dad's has to match, but it's worth doing to eliminate the potential hassle. Dad's AE account can be linked online and transfer completed.

Over a few years I've transferred to my father's and brother's accounts to top them up using these steps.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: AP, SPG Gold, CX Gold
Amex can change the linked AP account when you call in. Just be careful when you do so. Make sure to call them back and have them delete the other AP after the transfer. Then you can login and add which ever one you prefer.

FWIW I called once to do this, the rep I spoke to didn't log out of my account, changed the AP number and transferred 35.600 MR to someone's AP account. Took about 2 weeks and several phone calls to get the points back.

Last edited by seanman571; Nov 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Thanks everyone for the info, I ended up using my mother's AMEX MR account because she is not a AP member, and it worked! Too bad AP does not have the family pooling system like BA.

Just curious, how did the rep transfer into someone else's account? Did he/she type in the wrong AP#?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:27 pm

Programs: AP, SPG Gold, CX Gold
The rep that was helping me change my account back to my AP after a switcheroo left my account open. The next person he spoke to just happened to want to do an AP transfer as well. They deleted my AP #, changed it over to the next person's and took 35,600 MRs. After numerous calls to Amex and Aeroplan the points were returned to me.

I imagine it was completely accidental. Just a clerical error.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Reassociate Aeroplan Number for Rewards Transfer

Hey guys,

I have 40K+ points and have 3 Aeroplan cards:

1. Primary Card - my card
2. Secondary Card - my wife's card
3. Tertiary Card - my daughter's card

I currently have #1 associated to transfer AMEX points to but want to add points to #2 and #3. How can I do that?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: all
what about amex canada to other airlines...can you transfer to another member online for BA, Delta etc
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by pantanal
what about amex canada to other airlines...can you transfer to another member online for BA, Delta etc

I've done AMEX MR -> someone else's Aeroplan/BA Avios account fine ONLINE

AMEX MR -> SPG is very tricky as names has to exactly match
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I've done AMEX MR -> someone else's Aeroplan/BA Avios account fine ONLINE

AMEX MR -> SPG is very tricky as names has to exactly match

thanks..also how long does it take for these transfers ?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
thanks..also how long does it take for these transfers ?
Aeroplan is instantaneous, however the account link up is not always immediate, although often it is.

BA should link up immediately but the transfer does take 2-3 days IME.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
I tried BA. It didn't work. Aeroplan is the only one you can do that in my experience.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I tried BA. It didn't work. Aeroplan is the only one you can do that in my experience.
I did BA transfer fine in 2013

anyway, one can always add & try to transfer
If it fails, simply call AMEX to "delete" the registration and try again online, nothing to lose
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:37 pm

got it.thanks for all the input

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.