Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has Amex changed the agency they use to book platinum travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)

I'm on the phone with a travel consultant now on the platinum travel line to see if a hotel will extend FHR benefits in conjunction with an offer on their own website. I am wondering if Amex has changed travel booking operators as I am being hounded about booking a package with airfare - this has never happened before.

Even though I declined airfare (we booked with points and I told the agent in the first minute of the call), she keeps offering me airfare options. Then she started telling me about Amex's options to book discounted packages at wholesale to save $$.

Finally she agreed to contact the hotel. The hotel reservations staff 'stepped out' and Amex told me they couldn't call back to check in again for 24 hours. Then the push to book the package to preserve the rate..

The same thing happened with booking our safari through Amex - we wanted room-only rates through the safari provider (a FHR property, but you can't book it through the FHR website) and I asked the agent to communicate directly with the property as part of the FHR network. The agent ended up contacting an outside operator/outfitter for a package with airfare, then a second quote that included air transfers to the lodges, etc. The package was $4,000+ more expensive than the rack rates listed on the hotel's website - without the free nights and promos available - and of course I could not get a price breakdown to see the difference. Worst of all, this random outfitter held on to our reservation for incorrect dates and the lodge wouldn't release the booking without speaking to the operator - who they would not identify to us to try to speed the release along. So for a week we had a reservation at 2 lodges we didn't request, for dates that we weren't even available to stay, because of Amex's travel people.

Has anyone else had any issues?

Update: Hung up, called again, and reached a very nice travel counselor who was able to try the hotel again and will call back tomorrow to follow up.

Last edited by floridagal23; May 27, 2015 at 2:03 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 6:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Which number are you calling?

1-800-443-7672
1-602-537-4000

1-800-297-2977
1-312-980-7807
Old May 27, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no issues here. Booked an FHR hotel and got no 'offers' for packages.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by mia
Which number are you calling?

1-800-443-7672
1-602-537-4000

1-800-297-2977
1-312-980-7807
I've always called 800 443 7672..programmed into my phone

What are the other numbers?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
is there still a plat travel service? the phone number on the website 800-527-6707 is 'no longer in service'

Frequently Asked Questions

I am a Platinum Card® member, should I contact one of the Travel Insiders on this site or call Platinum Travel Service directly?

Platinum Card members have the option to contact any of the Travel Insiders on this site or may contact Platinum Travel Service at 800-527-6707 to speak with Travel Insiders available exclusively to Platinum Card members. With both options you will get to a highly trained Travel Insider who can work with you to customize your vacation.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I would try this number:

1-800-443-7672
-OR-
1-602-537-4000

https://faq.amextravel.com/
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I think the surest thing is to call the Customer Service number on the back of your card and then select Travel from the menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.