Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG card vs Platinum for everyday spending in China

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by percysmith
That's exactly what I did at the Dongguan Golf Club. I read and write and speak Chinese and the sales manager is friendly (don't know his ultimate boss personally) - we carded the transaction once, voided it and repeated the transaction twice - neither me nor the friendly sales manager not the senior cashier saw a way out of the DCC transaction.

At least they didn't lock down the void button as St Regis Shenzhen did (acquirer BoC again): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...on-56.html#828
So the St. Regis in Shenzhen actually told you that you have to be DCCed???

Man that is rude.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Well let's hope unionpay treats discover as a friendly (or native) and keep discover DCC-free in china.

I suppose it'll help if discover cardholders insist on having their transactions carded as unionpay transactions.

Outside of china DCC is still largely discretionary. I've been carding all the way in Italy and Spain for the last week and have been able to avoid DCC throughout (even tho I've been offered DCC at least three times).
As far as I know, UnionPay in China is CNY only (hope this is a right statement). If this is the case, then we don't have to worry about DCC on Discover cards in China, as we want CNY charges.

I've been using my Chase Visas in Norway and Denmark and Sweden without any problems with DCC. I can always turn it down when offered. Pretty much like Hong Kong.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
The post you linked to was simply awesome... completely describes the pains of DCC; opting out almost always sucks of 30 minutes of time!

Send me an email before your next Shenzhen visit, and I'll point you towards bars that are infinitely cooler than the St. Regis.
You guys live around Shenzhen? If I work or stay there, I'll always take the train and go to live in Hong Kong whenever I'm not required to stay in Shenzhen...
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
You guys live around Shenzhen? If I work or stay there, I'll always take the train and go to live in Hong Kong whenever I'm not required to stay in Shenzhen...
While I'm not sure I'd want to live in Shenzhen, whenever I find myself in those parts, I tend to stay overnight there. Shenzhen is actually kind of nice if you can manage to steer clear of Luowu. It arguably provides the most comprehensive cross section of China in existence (because any Chinese person is free to live/work there).
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:15 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's exactly what I did at the Dongguan Golf Club. I read and write and speak Chinese and the sales manager is friendly (don't know his ultimate boss personally) - we carded the transaction once, voided it and repeated the transaction twice - neither me nor the friendly sales manager not the senior cashier saw a way out of the DCC transaction.

At least they didn't lock down the void button as St Regis Shenzhen did (acquirer BoC again): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...on-56.html#828
So the St. Regis in Shenzhen actually told you that you have to be DCCed???

Man that is rude.
See the linked post - they didn't at first but I proved they did by call to HSBC HK (I have excess of China Mobile call credits). It took me 30 minutes to void the slip cos they locked down the void button.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:17 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well let's hope unionpay treats discover as a friendly (or native) and keep discover DCC-free in china.

I suppose it'll help if discover cardholders insist on having their transactions carded as unionpay transactions.

Outside of china DCC is still largely discretionary. I've been carding all the way in Italy and Spain for the last week and have been able to avoid DCC throughout (even tho I've been offered DCC at least three times).
As far as I know, UnionPay in China is CNY only (hope this is a right statement). If this is the case, then we don't have to worry about DCC on Discover cards in China, as we want CNY charges.

I've been using my Chase Visas in Norway and Denmark and Sweden without any problems with DCC. I can always turn it down when offered. Pretty much like Hong Kong.
"Pretty much like Hong Kong" - be careful - HK has imported PRC non-compliant firmware in some locations:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1146772-using-credit-cards-china-great-cc-rip-off-dynamic-currency-conversion-27.html#397

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau/1220194-boo-hong-kong-duty-free-freeduty-now-performing-dynamic-currency-conversions.html
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by moondog
While I'm not sure I'd want to live in Shenzhen, whenever I find myself in those parts, I tend to stay overnight there. Shenzhen is actually kind of nice if you can manage to steer clear of Luowu. It arguably provides the most comprehensive cross section of China in existence (because any Chinese person is free to live/work there).
Pretty convenient for HK residents, but does your China visa support this?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Pretty convenient for HK residents, but does your China visa support this?
Yes. I'm on the 2 year plan, and also have e-channel.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:38 am

No - zyxlsy's
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

No - zyxlsy's
Percysmith, I see your other post and notice you are actually from HK, a place that is on the top of my loved places list.

Are you a foreigner staying in HK, or HK HK people? I go to HK quite often and have bunch of HK friends from College now living back in HK. But I still don't know how to speak Cantonese, though... Every time I'm there, I'll try to listen to the TV just to get some practice.

I am not carrying a US passport, but I got a multi-entry Visa that is good for one year from Chinese Consulate in NY.

If HK is becoming plagued with DCC like China is, I think HK people need to voice out, when it is still democratic!!!
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:10 pm

Percysmith, I see your other post and notice you are actually from HK, a place that is on the top of my loved places list.

Are you a foreigner staying in HK, or HK HK people? I go to HK quite often and have bunch of HK friends from College now living back in HK. But I still don't know how to speak Cantonese, though... Every time I'm there, I'll try to listen to the TV just to get some practice.

I am not carrying a US passport, but I got a multi-entry Visa that is good for one year from Chinese Consulate in NY.

If HK is becoming plagued with DCC like China is, I think HK people need to voice out, when it is still democratic!!!
I am actually a HK resident so I have limited knowledge of how prevalent DCC is here unless I am accompanying my Australian friends.

It's hard to get people here excited about a fraud that only scams foreigners.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I am actually a HK resident so I have limited knowledge of how prevalent DCC is here unless I am accompanying my Australian friends.

It's hard to get people here excited about a fraud that only scams foreigners.
I understand that HK is quite law abiding, and the Government is actually listening to the voice from the people. If this is harmful to the tourism, maybe it will work.

My Aunt's family is living in Mid-Level, but I usually tend to not staying with them when I'm there since there are so many good choices for hotels, and you can be much closer to 九记牛腩 and 新记车仔面~
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:24 am
Original Poster

I have started using Discover It in China. Beating the hell out of DCC!!! It is so cool!!!
No matter what the charging bank is, BoChina, BoCommunication, etc., I don't get DCCed at all! Everything shows up in RMB.
Now I would wait and see the final amount posted online and determine whether the exchange rate is as good as Visa's.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 3:36 am

I have started using Discover It in China. Beating the hell out of DCC!!! It is so cool!!!
Good to confirm DCC with Discover has not been implemented in the place we need to avoid it most...for now...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Good to confirm DCC with Discover has not been implemented in the place we need to avoid it most...for now...
Exactly! You know the feeling I have when swiping my Discover and getting a receipt with RMB amount on it, AUTOMATICALLY, right?

Just to confirm, I feel that Discover's exchange rate is not as good as Visa's. Using Visa, if I google the USD amount charged to my card into CNY, the amount is several JIAO (Chinese dime) either more or less. But using Discover, all I've got now (four transactions) is more than the RMB amount charged. If I'm getting it correct, it is about 0.2% more.

Hope this is because of rate fluctuation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.