Getting to Hawaii on Amex Points [Consolidated]

Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Appended question to established thread.

Originally Posted by LakeCentralFlyer
... airfare for two from the continental US ...
Starting from which airport(s)? Economy or first class?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Appended question to established thread.

Starting from which airport(s)? Economy or first class?
Starting from SDF. First class if possible. They would trade first class for a better hotel if it comes down to it but overall they just want to maximize the trip rather than try to save points. They are an older couple and just want to find something to use their points on since this might be their last big vacation trip.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 12:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Generous of you to assist them. Any idea when they want to travel?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Generous of you to assist them. Any idea when they want to travel?
Probably sometime in January or early next year.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I have points tell me how to use them blaaaaaaaah. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Old May 5, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: Amex, Chase Rewards, FB, SW
I've never used Amex points either so any help would be much appreciated. I have 170,000 MR points and would like to get to Hawaii in late May or mid July. 2 tickets or 4 if possible
( if not, kids can stay home lol) . Flying out of Atlanta but we have a lot of Southwest points if we need to use those to get to the west coast and fly out of there with Amex points. TIA

Or just forget it and fly to Aruba with SW points lol ? 20th anniversary

Last edited by edAU; May 5, 2016 at 9:21 am Reason: Additional info
Old May 5, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by edAU
I've never used Amex points either so any help would be much appreciated. I have 170,000 MR points and would like to get to Hawaii in late May or mid July. 2 tickets or 4 if possible
( if not, kids can stay home lol) . Flying out of Atlanta but we have a lot of Southwest points if we need to use those to get to the west coast and fly out of there with Amex points. TIA

I'm looking at this as well. Check into transferring MR to Air France.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by edAU

15k Air France one way (flying on Delta) or 17.5k Singapore one way (flying on United).
Old May 6, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Amex, Chase Rewards, FB, SW
Thanks for your help, I've decided to just burn my SW points, 4 tix to Aruba for 80k points. And save the MR points for a international trip in the next couple years. Maybe do Hawaii on the 25th anniversary .
Old May 16, 2016, 1:38 pm

Question

Originally Posted by dukerau
15k Air France one way (flying on Delta) or 17.5k Singapore one way (flying on United).
How do you find/book these?

I'm going ATL - HNL in early October.
Trying to get on the only non-stop flight I could find, by Delta. It costs 70k points round trip per person (140k total. two people). Seems kind of high.

I see on different websites mentions of 25k points flights, talk about Avios/British and Alaska/Korean. Tried both of those, but they didn't have direct flights, and the indirect flights (with 10h+ layovers) still are over 60k points per person. Korean was mentioned in some places as a cheaper (in points) alternative to Delta, but even after calling them, they told me they have no seats available on the direct flights.
Also tried AA, United and Southwest, and couldn't find anything worthwhile.

Is there some method that I'm missing, or is 140k points a reasonable/best price for two people RT from ATL to HNL?
Old May 17, 2016, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Arkadyf

Trying to get on the only non-stop flight I could find, by Delta. It costs 70k points round trip per person (140k total. two people). Seems kind of high.

I see on different websites mentions of 25k points flights, talk about Avios/British and Alaska/Korean. Tried both of those, but they didn't have direct flights, and the indirect flights (with 10h+ layovers) still are over 60k points per person. Korean was mentioned in some places as a cheaper (in points) alternative to Delta, but even after calling them, they told me they have no seats available on the direct flights.

Is there some method that I'm missing, or is 140k points a reasonable/best price for two people RT from ATL to HNL?
I didn't search returns because I don't know how long you want to stay.

4 October, leaving from Atlanta to go to Honolulu. There's availability for two people in a Delta itinerary. There's a layover in Los Angeles, but it's only for 2 hours.

There's another itinerary with a layover of only 45 minutes. Both of these schedules are for economy seats and should be bookable through Korean Airlines if you can find suitable return flights.

I found those flights by searching on Air France.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Plat
We have been looking for tickets from JFK > HNL for January 2017 to attend a wedding. The DL website isn't showing much.. Would AF or KE show more options? Otherwise the flights are around $1700 in J so we might just pay.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
We have been looking for tickets from JFK > HNL for January 2017 to attend a wedding. The DL website isn't showing much.. Would AF or KE show more options? Otherwise the flights are around $1700 in J so we might just pay.
"We". We three? We the people? Or, my personal favorite, WHEE!

You're probably better off booking it for cash. I didn't really search because I don't know how many people you're traveling with nor do I know when you need to be there.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by Phantom707
"We". We three? We the people? Or, my personal favorite, WHEE!

You're probably better off booking it for cash. I didn't really search because I don't know how many people you're traveling with nor do I know when you need to be there.
Fair point! 2 people 1/12 - 1/21
Old May 19, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Arkadyf

From ATL, using BA Avios to get to Hawaii generally won't be as economical. They're priced by distance and per flight, and all of BA's partners (AA and/or AS) will require a connection for ATL-HNL. If you want non-stop ATL-HNL, flying on Delta is your only option. If for the flight/date you want, Delta charges 22.5k one way, you can book that for 15k Flying Blue (confirm on airfrance.us of course). If Delta charges > 22.5k one way, then Delta miles are the only way to book that award seat. Keep in mind that you can book these flights as one ways to save. For example, if the 70k round trip from Delta price is 22.5k one way and 47.5k the other way (doubtful, but it could be), then you could book one way for 15k Flying Blue and the other way for 47.5k Delta, saving you 7.5k Amex points per person.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.