Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Downgrading to a lower-level AmEx card: need to cancel and re-apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I have an AmEx Gold card, and am considering upgrading to an AmEx Platinum. I may not have use for it for more than a year or two, and so I'd want to be sure that I can just downgrade back to an AmEx Gold. (Who knows what my financial circumstances will be in 2 or so years.)

So...to downgrade to a lower-level card, can you just call AmEx and downgrade? Or do I have to cancel the higher-level card and apply anew for the lower-level card?

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You should be able to downgrade to Green or Gold without any trouble, and typically you would keep the same account number.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA , Diners Club, El Al, YourPoints.
It's as simple as calling CS and asking for your account to be switched to Gold, Mia covered it all tbh.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: Several
This is sorta relevant question. If I have Platinum card, can I downgrade it to the Blue Cash card?

I can see it being easy to switch to the Blue Points cards, but then again the Blue cards are credit whereas the Platinum is a charge card.

Anyone have any experience with this? I could just call an ask but wanted to hear from anyone before I do.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks- I'll thus upgrade to Platinum!
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
This is sorta relevant question. If I have Platinum card, can I downgrade it to the Blue Cash card?

I can see it being easy to switch to the Blue Points cards, but then again the Blue cards are credit whereas the Platinum is a charge card.

Anyone have any experience with this? I could just call an ask but wanted to hear from anyone before I do.
They usually don't allow charge cards to be product changed to credit cards and vice versa.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by standingoten
They usually don't allow charge cards to be product changed to credit cards and vice versa.
I figured they wouldn't allow the same account numbers to be applied to a credit card if it was to be switched from a charge card, but I was curious to see if anyone was successful at it.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:02 am

If I downgrade from Plat to PRG, is the first year of PRG AF still waived? Or am I paying immediately? TIA
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:58 am
mia

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
If I downgrade from Plat to PRG, is the first year of PRG AF still waived?
No
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Now that my wife and I are married, we no longer feel the need to have two separate Platinum charge accounts. The account we'd like to downgrade has about 70K Membership Rewards points still associated with it. We're looking for the best level of membership to preserve the MR points with full transfer ability. After the downgrade we won't be using the card for any purchases; basically just need a placeholder for the MR points.

Amex gave an option to downgrade to a 'Senior Card' with an annual fee of $35. They assured me that this level of cardmembership allows for full MR transfer. Has anyone had experience with this type of card? Any other suggestions for the best level of membership for this purpose?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:54 pm

I just downgraded from AmEx-P straight down to Green. I believe this is as low as you can go with MR. I just wanted to preserve my MR points in case they ever became worth anything for transfers again, and this did it fairly cheaply. I've been w/AmEx almost 30 years and never heard of the senior card, and was not offered it. I'm 55, FWIW.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:16 pm
mia

The Senior cards are eligible to participate in Membership Rewards, but there is an additional $40 program fee.

Start here:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...rmsSplash.aspx

Scroll down to paragraph 2 WHO CAN USE THE PROGRAM & ANNUAL FEES, and look at the table.

Did you ask if Customer Service would transfer the points from the account you are closing to the other person's account on a one-time exception basis? They may be more willing to do this if the closer is an Authorized User on the surviving Platinum Card account. You don't have to choose a supplementary Platinum card ($175, for up to three). Instead you could request a Gold card ($45, for up to five).

Last edited by mia; Sep 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Thanks for the link- I found it after posting.

I thought of the same idea of transferring the MR points- no luck. So we ended up downgrading to the senior card and paying the fee to keep MR points- $75.

Originally Posted by mia
The Senior cards are eligible to participate in Membership Rewards, but there is an additional $40 program fee.

Start here:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...rmsSplash.aspx

Scroll down to paragraph 2 WHO CAN USE THE PROGRAM & ANNUAL FEES, and look at the table.

Did you ask if Customer Service would transfer the points from the account you are closing to the other person's account on a one-time exception basis? They may be more willing to do this if the closer is an Authorized User on the surviving Platinum Card account. You don't have to choose a supplementary Platinum card ($175, for up to three). Instead you could request a Gold card ($45, for up to five).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.