Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 4aks
This Wikipost can be edited by any member who can see the [Edit] button in the lower right corner.

registration link: http://www.shopsmall.com

Until the details of the 2013 promotion are published, the best resource is the thread discussing the 2012 version:

American Express Small Business Saturday Will Return 11/24/12

Registration is limited and opens at 12:00am MST on Nov 24th, 2013 and ends Nov 30th unless registration limit is reached sooner. The limit number has not been disclosed by Amex.

some useful links:
www.shopsmall.com/offerterms
www.americanexpress.com/promote
Print Wikipost

Small Business Saturday [USA] - November 30, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:34 am
xp0

If you use Chrome, the map loads. What a POS. lol

Anyway, place I am going with all my cards is on the map, so I was just wondering.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb a store may be on the map but you may need to search ITS address to be sure!

Originally Posted by kn9ght
No it's not in the map.
Are you sure it's not on the map? I had a store I wanted to shop at about a mile from my home. I put in home address, and it did not come up on the mapin the list of 100, though places much further away came up. But on a whim, I looked up the address of that store on Google, did a search around that address, and then store came up (in fact twice, once on the first group of 10, and later on another group of 10).

So unless you search for the specific address of the store, you cannot be sure that the store is not on the map, because there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what the map includes more than block or two away from the address you give.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:39 pm

If you have to cancel the Amex card (in order to avoid the annual fee) before the statement credit is issued, will you still get the credit? I would imagine that the strategy to get the credit would be to keep a balance on the card so that there is something for them to "credit" against.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Silverthunder
I would imagine that the strategy to get the credit would be to keep a balance on the card so that there is something for them to "credit" against.
A charge of $10 of more is required to earn the credit. That's what the credit offsets.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 4:18 pm

Amex is known for good customer service. If you are a amex card member in good standing and have reason to believe the charge you made was a "small business" I am sure amex will take care of you and would not worry.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xp0
If you use Chrome, the map loads. What a POS. lol

Anyway, place I am going with all my cards is on the map, so I was just wondering.
Totally agree. Horrible map even worse than last year's showing.

I know the stores - the same as last year and they do not show on the first 100 list when I search by City or by name. However when I put in the actual address, they all show up on the stupid map.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kn9ght
No it's not in the map.
It has NOTHING to do with whether the store is on the map or not.

ALL my purchases were made in stores on the map and I got the SAME confirmation letter on each purchase identical to the one you got.

Purchases are groceries and 1 dine if that even matters though I seriously doubt it.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:03 pm

I know it says that it must be used for in store transactions, but in years past online worked, How about this year?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
made three purchases at a local small business today, with a plat, a blue, and a business green - got two emails, for the plat and blue, the emails say they'll review the transactions for eligibility and if good a credit will be received within 90 days ... nothing for the business green - I guess I'll be paying that $12 purchase in full
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Happy
It has NOTHING to do with whether the store is on the map or not.

ALL my purchases were made in stores on the map and I got the SAME confirmation letter on each purchase identical to the one you got.

Purchases are groceries and 1 dine if that even matters though I seriously doubt it.
How soon did you get the confirmation emails? I remember on previous years I would get the emails within the next hour or so. Now it's been a lot more since I made the transactions and haven't received anything so far.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Originally Posted by carofly
How soon did you get the confirmation emails? I remember on previous years I would get the emails within the next hour or so. Now it's been a lot more since I made the transactions and haven't received anything so far.
I actually received mine within 10 minutes of charging my 3 cards (SPG Personal, SPG biz, gold biz)
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: A few
no emails here for 8 transactions at the same local restaurant listed on the map. let's see what happens.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:56 pm

7 cards at a chocolate/coffee shop and 4 cards at a liquor store. Got 11 email confirmations.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:05 pm

I went to the website and looked up a small business. I handed over my Amex, and they indicate Visa and MasterCard only. I tweeted Amex and got the following reply (3 tweets condensed, spaces added, but still in Twitter-speak):

"Thx for tweeting. I apologize for any inconvenience. Information provided on the Small Business Saturday Map may contain inaccuracies or errors as a result of information provided by third parties. To view other merchants in your area, pls visit: http://shopsmall.com There is still time to take advantage of the offer. Enjoy your evening."

I'm surprised that the Amex reply is essentially: Not our fault, try again.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:07 pm

While the reduced credit was a bit of a bummer, free money is still free money! 11 cards, 10 transactions at the local liquor store and 1 gas transaction to pay for the day's travels. Thanks, Amex!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.