Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum [UK] Card: Was It Worth It This Year?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Thanks, Russ. Good to know.

For clarity, from http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...frequentflyers
The important thing to note though is that this is BA policy, it's not a oneworld entitlement ^
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flashware
The important thing to note though is that this is BA policy, it's not a oneworld entitlement ^
Indeed. The situation is different for Emeralds in OW (http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits), but for Sapphire (aka BA Silver, CX Gold) it is carrier dependent rather than alliance-wide increased baggage allowance.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Yes
I mentioned it in the Cathay-Specific thread - I got renewed for Gold AND Hertz Five Star without actually holding a Platinum card anymore. I've cancelled mine in June last year

So it was definitely "worth it" for me
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the winding down Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Gold status has been transferred to the dedicated thread because I am seeing parallel questions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ast-track.html

Reminder: FlyerTalk policy is that questions about moderator actions should be directed privately to the moderator, not posted as a reply to a thread.

Last edited by mia; Feb 6, 2014 at 9:31 am
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:45 am

Question for existing AMEX UK Platinum Charge Card Holders [metal card option]

Hi All,

Just wanted to gage people's opinions. For our £450 a year fee do you feel we should be given the option to have our cards made of metal? In the States they have a number of companies that offer simular services to Amex Platinum and you get a metal card. In the UK we pay more have limited options and get a poorly made plastic card.

Thanks

Andy
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:53 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
No.

I would far prefer additional benefits and features instead.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:01 am

Benefits seem to be getting slimmer. Remember ten years ago when it had that many benefits your card came with a hardback book.

Used to make Platinum customers feel special and wanted. Maybe a personal feeling.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Andy.peek1983
Benefits seem to be getting slimmer. Remember ten years ago when it had that many benefits your card came with a hardback book.
Mine came with a book last month...and the standard issue tacky luggage tags!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I cancelled mine and wish I hadnt.

Stand alone Amex travel insurance cost me £100 and I've just found out it's not as good as the Plat cover was.
Car excess insurance was another £80.
I've spent about £60 so far entering lounges at £15 a pop using my Lounge Club card, which would have been free with PP.
Had to slum it at LAS because I had no Cent access.
Missed out on the Amex travel £100 off £300 spend offer.
Missed out on a few other Spend X Get Y promos exclusive to the Plat.

Looking back, I would have gotten value from it this year. YMMV.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:01 pm
GRM

I'm a Gold card holder and thinking of upgrading to Plat, mostly for the benefits on an upcoming family trip to the US. Have I got the following right?

• £450/pa pro-rata for a Plat card plus a supp Plat
  • The supp and I both get a PP card. This will allow the supp and I to both take 1 guest each into lounges for free.
  • Travel insurance for myself, the supp and dependent children under 25. The medical cover is limited to £2m.
  • Club Carlson Gold Elite (plus status in others too)

TIA.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GRM
I'm a Gold card holder and thinking of upgrading to Plat, mostly for the benefits on an upcoming family trip to the US. Have I got the following right?

• £450/pa pro-rata for a Plat card plus a supp Plat
  • The supp and I both get a PP card. This will allow the supp and I to both take 1 guest each into lounges for free.
  • Travel insurance for myself, the supp and dependent children under 25. The medical cover is limited to £2m.
  • Club Carlson Gold Elite (plus status in others too)

TIA.
Yes to all four questions.Do please note that any pre existing conditions are not covered.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:17 pm
GRM

Thanks. Is there any mechanism to extend the cover to cover pre-existing conditions? And would the cover apply if the air tickets were bought before I upgraded to Plat?

I'll read the T&Cs to check but a little difficult right now on a small phone.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by GRM
Thanks. Is there any mechanism to extend the cover to cover pre-existing conditions? And would the cover apply if the air tickets were bought before I upgraded to Plat?

I'll read the T&Cs to check but a little difficult right now on a small phone.
It's my understanding that you cannot cover pre existing conditions. The medical cover does not need payment with the amex plat. Baggage cover, delay and cancellation cover does need the tickets to have been paid for with an amex issued amex card i.e not an mbna amex, as long as the seller accepts amex. Certain airlines only take visa/mastercard so you would then be ok.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by GRM
Thanks. Is there any mechanism to extend the cover to cover pre-existing conditions?
There isn't. If you, or any of the people covered, have a pre-existing medical condition, that condition and anything that it might give rise to, is not covered.

Given that a high proportion of the population is on BP tablets, and/or cholesterol tabs, I think any issue relating to circulatory issues (i.e. heart) might be at risk for such people.

The plat health insurance is fine if you are totally healthy
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
When did Accor drop off being an Amex partner for status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.