FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
To locate and use the Chat or Leave a Message function:
    Print Wikipost

American Express (USA) replaces Email (SM) with Chat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:53 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

The chat reps you got have huge degree of difference in terms of their knowledge levels as well as ability to understand your questions to say the least. If you are lucky you get a rep that is experienced, well-trained and has some brain power. If you are unlucky you got a rep that only knows how to work by the scripts and that would turn your chat session into a 30 min virtual torture.

I urge everyone to complete the survey that is sent upon each contact with AMEX to voice the frustration and disappointment of the chat service and request AMEX to bring back the secured message feature.

Unless you voice your comments thru the Survey, your feedback is not going to reach AMEX.

I know the surveys work with almost every company when you put in some meaningful words in the comment sections. Sometimes even a phone survey would work when you took the time to explain what was undesirable. Recently I had a phone survey from Wells Fargo on a particular branch visit. A week later I got a phone call from the District Manager of Wells Fargo wanted to know how they can do better to improve the experience.

So please use the survey as the tool intended and give companies feedbacks. While they most likely use software to detect words, if you use key words your survey would eventually reach a pair of human eyes and hopefully enough of bad feedbacks would make AMEX reconsider.
    Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
    Chat cannot be used with IE10 as it says I need to upgrade to a more up to date version of IE.
    Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:12 am
    mia
    Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
    Originally Posted by Happy
    I know the surveys work with almost every company when you put in some meaningful words in the comment sections.
    Agreed, I recently received a telephone followup call from American Express in response to an online survey. I regret the call reached me during a power outage and I didn't take the opportunity to mention this change.
    Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
    I was trying to follow up on an account inquiry and got a chat agent that he was a comedian trying to tell jokes to try to cover up the fact that he had no clue what he was doing. I quickly ended the chat and used the survey to give low marks.
    Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
    I only noticed this today, well actually last night
    ...couldn't compose a secure e-mail, that was annoying,
    but yielded today and went in via chat.
    To my surprise, it worked well.

Cancelled my Plat after 8-9 months,
    they credited me $150 back of the fee,
    and they cleaned out some old dormant prepaid cards.

I didn't expect it to work well, but it did.
    Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:34 am

Is the chat supposed to be available 24/7?

My experience is that the chat button only pops up very randomly. It would be nice if they had a dedicated area where the chat button is.
    Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
    Just got my shot. I was closing my BCP. Other than "Rick" being far too chipper (Happy Thursday!) and putting an ! at the end of every sentence, he didn't attempt any kind of retention at all. He asked why I was closing it, then said okay, I'll close it.

I attempted to print the chat, but it wasn't possible to print more than the last few lines and I accidentally closed the chat window when I canceled the print job. If I get a survey, I will definitely give them feedback on that part. If I am forced to use chat for all transactions, I need a chat log available to me.

ETA: I notice they phrase it as "we now offer chat as an alternative to secure messaging" as though there is a choice.
    Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:40 pm

I have had four successful experiences in chat. I have used chat to "voice my frustration" that I had a financial review - and couldn't use my card to make purchases. I received 3,000 Starwood points all four times. (2 for my wife, 2 for me).
    Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:55 pm

No Longer Able to Email/Message Customer Service, Stuck with Chat

I noticed that it is no longer possible to email customer service on the website.

Instead, they force you to use a chat function which means you sit there for long periods of time while the person at the other end is doing god knows what (probably chatting with other customers.)

Although I have to say the silences are shorter than some other chat customer service experiences I have endured, leading me to believe that Amex chat reps have fewer simultaneous sessions than some others.

This is a waste of customer time. For a premium product, we should be able to email customer service.
    Old Oct 9, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
    I've often wondered is the US card market so massive and the potential for fraud so prevalent that AMEX can't by necessity harvest all this new technology to create a stellar customer service experience? If one in a prior age sent letters by mail, why can't one now simply send an e-mail? In fact, in some of the European AMEX card markets, it is possible to simply e-mail customer service directly from a home account. Better yet, it is even possible to contact specific customer service representatives by e-mail.
    Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:17 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another useless chat session and being instructed to call

Last Friday I saw offers in both my HHonor and BRG cards but when I returned to try to save it under HHonor on Monday, the offers disappeared despite the expiration dates were Nov 15 and Dec 10 respectively.

Got online to chat, asking the rep if he could manually put them back. He found the offers alright after lengthy time passed but said I needed to call Online Support team. Meanwhile he said he put notes in the account so I did not have to explain what was going on again. It took 20 min to get to the outcome that the online chat rep had no ability to help.

Called the Online Support Team and being transferred to 2 different reps only to be told they would open a ticket to investigate it and someone would call me back in 24 to 48 hours.

No survey email has come yet. I could hardly wait to get the survey email to voice my frustration.
    Old Oct 17, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
    Chat representatives seem less empowered (and professional) than phone agents. Bring back email please!
    Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
    Originally Posted by JAGMAP
    Chat representatives seem less empowered (and professional) than phone agents. Bring back email please!
    Not only do the seem less empowered, they are less empowered.

They have not ability to transfer or interact with the Membership Rewards team, so can't resolve any issues with Membership rewards.

In general they are powerless.

A complete waste of time.

Bring back American Express Secure Email.
    Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
    Waited over a half hour for a chat agent to become available. NOT AT ALL happy I'm being asked to provide personal information via a service that I can't verify for myself - there's a lock saying 'secure connection' but I notice the chat window stays open when I'm not logged into my account.

No way I'm using this. Thanks for the thoughts on letting them know how awful it is!
    Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
    Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
    Waited over a half hour for a chat agent to become available. NOT AT ALL happy I'm being asked to provide personal information via a service that I can't verify for myself - there's a lock saying 'secure connection' but I notice the chat window stays open when I'm not logged into my account.

No way I'm using this. Thanks for the thoughts on letting them know how awful it is!
    I ended up calling to find out about the sign-up conditions of a new card I received. The phone rep answered immediately with the answer I was expecting. Two chat sessions were unable to provide this simple confirmation.

Since I'm in a charitable mood I started another chat session, asked for a supervisor, and shared a keyboard full of my opinions of the removal of secure message and the new chat support.

Not a bad idea for a little feedback is to start a chat session regularly, only to provide them some constructive feedback and request that secure message be returned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.