Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
THIS THREAD IS CLOSED. New thread here.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Gold Personal:
"Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months."
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...elta-skymiles/

A post on Reddit suggests that you can find a 50K offer, but with a $100 credit, by doing a dummy booking on Delta.com.
The offer should appear before you have to pay for the flight.

Gold Business:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...c-golddelta-lm
"Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months."

Platinum Personal:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...skymiles/25330
"Earn 35,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months."

Platinum Business:
https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...t-card/dal-624
"Earn 70,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Note: Review the recent discussion in the thread about various other ways to try to locate offers as high as 50k+$50 credit.

Getting the statement credit:
MrMoonlight successfully purchased a Delta ecert (essentially a gift card) and received the statement credit. See this post..
Jacobsta811 also received $50 credit for $50 e-cert on both gold business and gold personal cards.
muji received $100 credit for $50 eCert on Delta Platinum card
sdsearch
received $100 credit for $50 eCert on business Platinum card (see this post).

vah4883
received $100 credit for $5.6 tax on Platinum card

So there's no thread covering this card as a whole, which means no links in the dedicated CC offers thread, so I thought I would make one so UA Fan has something to link.

Delta cards are hard because the generic public offer at Amex is pretty bad (10k miles), but there are several ways to get a better offer:
  • Delta Amex Card. Input your SkyPesos number and last name. Do this in incognito mode to get the best results. I won't get any offer if I don't do it incognito. I get 35k for $750 in 3m.
  • Delta.com Stock Offers.
Print Wikipost

Offers for Delta Amex Cards [2013-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Yeah I wasn't able to use the DL e-cert to pay for my taxes and fees either.

This was a couple of months ago.

I don't know what the hell I'm going to do with that cert as I have no plans to fly DL, other than as award redemptions.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch
75k DL is at best worth the equivalent of about 20k to 40k at other airlines, unless you're really lucky, or unless you are looking to use it specifically for certain partners flying to certain overseas locations (Virgin this or Virgin that).

But I don't understand why you think you wouldn't get the bonus. What Amex will lock you out of a bonus (on a personal card, not a business card) is ever having had that specific card before. But if you never had any Delta card before, I don't see the big worry about not getting bonus (unless there's specific wording in your targeted offer that you're concerned about, in which case you should explain what that wording is word for word).
20-40k comparison is a bit harsh. e.g. the new CI biz to Asia is 70k DL while other tpacs are 80k UA, 75k MR, 55k AA, 50k AS.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:46 pm

Just applied for the 60k biz cad offer and it went into pending. First time other than Ink that I havent gotten an instant approval (had to call in to get approved for Ink). Guess Ill call Amex tomorrow. 792 credit score, recently got the bonus on the personal card (not sure if that matters).

Follow up: just checked app status page. I was denied. Says I've reached the max number of cards of this type they can approve in a period of a few months. I got personal Delta card in May and Hilton Surpass in April. Guess I should have read the Amex app wiki before jumping on this offer. Will the denial negatively affect my credit score/report?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: United 1P
13 years ago, I applied to a personal Amex Delta card, which does not have the gold color as far as I can remember. I cancelled the card a long time ago. Can I receive the sign up bonus for the Gold Delta personal card?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I don't understand why you think you wouldn't get the bonus. What Amex will lock you out of a bonus (on a personal card, not a business card) is ever having had that specific card before.
You're undoubtedly correct.

My recollection was that Amex was very strict about not awarding a bonus if you've ever gotten one since the beginning of time. I guess I didn't take into account that it had to be with that specific card.
75k DL is at best worth the equivalent of about 20k to 40k at other airlines, unless you're really lucky, or unless you are looking to use it specifically for certain partners flying to certain overseas locations (Virgin this or Virgin that).
That was the other part of my question.

Maybe it isn't that bad, but it's still not all it's cracked up to be.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh1361
You could buy a $50 Delt e-gift card. And hang onto it until you use your award miles and use it for your taxes/fees. Or gift it to someone who could use it, or sell it.
Originally Posted by frudd38
Are you sure about that? I did this thinking to use it on award taxes as well but it gave me no option when checking out a few months ago.
I am interested to know more about this as well. Like you, I did not see any option to use a DL e-giftcard when paying for the award tickets.

I guess our household is the most unlucky in timing - a few weeks ago when I applied husband's business card, did the application in the morning. Then in the afternoon a referral offer on my own card came, for 10K per referral...

And now here is another 10K missed.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While the generalization might have some merit albeit in a big stretch BUT a caveat must be made (and that is NOT just for DL, but for ALL programs), it all depends on how you use it. Or better put, how much you KNOW on how to use it.

Case in point, just redeemed a low level 62.5K in business on VS/AZ MIA-LHR-FCO, in the middle of August... Try this on UA or AA, even you are willing to shell out the BA extortion, there were only 2 days in August AA miles had J availability and 5 days in total for flying in coach, when there were 85% of Jul / Aug / Sept all were low level on DL.

I dont care the theoretical value of AA miles are only 50K while DL low level is 62.5K - when there is NO seat, it does not matter you use less AA miles for the same trip!

Originally Posted by frudd38
20-40k comparison is a bit harsh. e.g. the new CI biz to Asia is 70k DL while other tpacs are 80k UA, 75k MR, 55k AA, 50k AS.
Exactly! UA miles are worth less than DL miles if you prefer to fly partner airlines in business class. Expensive and poor availability.
I would also add that since DL has changed to one-way system, it makes DL miles more useful than before.

Originally Posted by BigLar
You're undoubtedly correct.

DL miles have its niche. Just like all other programs, it largely depends on where you are going, when you are going and who has the seats. See my personal experience less than 3 weeks ago - for travel in the height of Summer season, and booked just 5 weeks before travel date - I got a direct flight, in Upper Class, with exact date I wanted. Plenty of dates to choose from, too.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 22, 2015 at 11:29 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by BigLar
Remember, there is an active 60K offer out there (post #706 above) which I think makes the proposition much more interesting. I wouldn't waste my one shot on a 35-40K offer.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:53 am

Is it possible a Delta e-cert could be used to pay for taking extra baggage on an international trip?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:39 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Data point: opened personal Plat in May and personal PRG last week and was instantly approved for a personal Delta Gold this morning. I was not aware of a set application limit with AMEX (like Chase has implemented on select cards) and glad to see my app went through.

Thank you michael_v for the link, my wife and I will now be able to fly home from OZ next year!

Originally Posted by Auerbach
Just applied for the 60k biz cad offer and it went into pending. First time other than Ink that I havent gotten an instant approval (had to call in to get approved for Ink). Guess Ill call Amex tomorrow. 792 credit score, recently got the bonus on the personal card (not sure if that matters).

Follow up: just checked app status page. I was denied. Says I've reached the max number of cards of this type they can approve in a period of a few months. I got personal Delta card in May and Hilton Surpass in April. Guess I should have read the Amex app wiki before jumping on this offer. Will the denial negatively affect my credit score/report?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y
Data point: opened personal Plat in May and personal PRG last week and was instantly approved for a personal Delta Gold this morning. I was not aware of a set application limit with AMEX (like Chase has implemented on select cards) and glad to see my app went through.

Thank you michael_v for the link, my wife and I will now be able to fly home from OZ next year!
I called and they said you can only be approved for 2 cards in a 90-day period. Since i was approved for one in April and another in May, I have to wait 90 days from the May approval before I can be approved for another. They said it does not matter than the first two cards were personal and the one I applied for but was denied is business.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:37 am

Interesting info and seems more in line with Citi--but this underwriting criteria was not applied to me as I was clearly approved for all 3 cards within a 90 day period. Perhaps this was applied specifically to credit cards, as I had a mix of 2 charge/1 credit.

I'll be curious to see the other reasons listed on the denial as there are typically 3.

I called and they said you can only be approved for 2 cards in a 90-day period. Since i was approved for one in April and another in May, I have to wait 90 days from the May approval before I can be approved for another. They said it does not matter than the first two cards were personal and the one I applied for but was denied is business.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by 2Tall4Y
Interesting info and seems more in line with Citi--but this underwriting criteria was not applied to me as I was clearly approved for all 3 cards within a 90 day period. Perhaps this was applied specifically to credit cards, as I had a mix of 2 charge/1 credit.

I'll be curious to see the other reasons listed on the denial as there are typically 3.
That's probably the difference. Charge cards don't count against Amex's 4-card max limit, so they likely would not count against this apparent "2 app approvals in a 90-day period" rule.

I wonder if I could get approved for the PRG then, since its a charge card.

Edit: Yep, I was approved for PRG! Got the "we can't give you a decision right now" page, but when I checked the app status page, it said I was approved. Noice!

Last edited by Auerbach; Jul 23, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Sorry for the misinformation regarding being able to use the Delta eCert on taxes/fees. I hadn't done it personally but figured you'd be able to.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:14 pm

Booyaa! ^

That's probably the difference. Charge cards don't count against Amex's 4-card max limit, so they likely would not count against this apparent "2 app approvals in a 90-day period" rule.

I wonder if I could get approved for the PRG then, since its a charge card.

Edit: Yep, I was approved for PRG! Got the "we can't give you a decision right now" page, but when I checked the app status page, it said I was approved. Noice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.