Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
THIS THREAD IS CLOSED. New thread here.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Gold Personal:
"Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months."
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...elta-skymiles/

A post on Reddit suggests that you can find a 50K offer, but with a $100 credit, by doing a dummy booking on Delta.com.
The offer should appear before you have to pay for the flight.

Gold Business:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...c-golddelta-lm
"Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months."

Platinum Personal:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...skymiles/25330
"Earn 35,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months."

Platinum Business:
https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...t-card/dal-624
"Earn 70,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Note: Review the recent discussion in the thread about various other ways to try to locate offers as high as 50k+$50 credit.

Getting the statement credit:
MrMoonlight successfully purchased a Delta ecert (essentially a gift card) and received the statement credit. See this post..
Jacobsta811 also received $50 credit for $50 e-cert on both gold business and gold personal cards.
muji received $100 credit for $50 eCert on Delta Platinum card
sdsearch
received $100 credit for $50 eCert on business Platinum card (see this post).

vah4883
received $100 credit for $5.6 tax on Platinum card

So there's no thread covering this card as a whole, which means no links in the dedicated CC offers thread, so I thought I would make one so UA Fan has something to link.

Delta cards are hard because the generic public offer at Amex is pretty bad (10k miles), but there are several ways to get a better offer:
  • Delta Amex Card. Input your SkyPesos number and last name. Do this in incognito mode to get the best results. I won't get any offer if I don't do it incognito. I get 35k for $750 in 3m.
  • Delta.com Stock Offers.
Print Wikipost

Offers for Delta Amex Cards [2013-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:34 am

Bonus Eligibility

I went on Amex live chat today to ask if I am eligible for the Gold offer.

I told them I have a DL Plat Biz Amex and have had in the past a DL Plat Personal Amex.

The rep told me that I am eligible as long as I have never had a DL Gold Personal Amex. EDIT: I saved the conversation to PDF.

Has anyone had any different experience? I'm thinking then that I could be eligible for both the personal and the business version of the gold card.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mike814
... I'm thinking then that I could be eligible for both the personal and the business version of the gold card.
1. There is no substitute for reading the terms of each specific offer.

2. The bonus disqualification rules for personal cards are very different than the rules for business cards. In general:

Personal cards are now "once in a lifetime" for the identical product. Holding a similar card is no longer relevant.

Business cards are now 12 months since identical product account was open (i.e. 12 months since cancellation). Holding related cards may be relevant, read the terms.

The ambiguous area is that it is not always obvious what American Express considers to be the same product. A Gold Delta card issued in the 1990's may, or may not, be tracked internally as the same card issued today.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:02 am

Understood. There is a lot of conflicting information online as to whether a personal plat qualifies as the same product as a personal gold for the purposes of the bonus disqualification so I really wanted to be sure.

Originally Posted by mia
1. There is no substitute for reading the terms of each specific offer.

2. The bonus disqualification rules for personal cards are very different than the rules for business cards. In general:

Personal cards are now "once in a lifetime" for the identical product. Holding a similar card is no longer relevant.

Business cards are now 12 months since identical product account was open (i.e. 12 months since cancellation). Holding related cards may be relevant, read the terms.

The ambiguous area is that it is not always obvious what American Express considers to be the same product. A Gold Delta card issued in the 1990's may, or may not, be tracked internally as the same card issued today.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:32 am
mia

Originally Posted by mike814
...There is a lot of conflicting information online as to whether a personal plat qualifies as the same product as a personal gold for the purposes of the bonus disqualification...
There appears to be a conflict only because the rules recently changed. Under the immediately preceding rules holding a related card (a card which participates in the same rewards program) did sometimes disqualify bonus for all cards in the same rewards program. This is not true for personal cards today, and it is seldom true for business cards.

Wrinkle: there are still offers with the very broad "if we identify you as an American Express customer..." disqualification language. Only a very few people have reported that these terms were enforced. I just apply using an Incognito or Private browser window and ignore the sentence.

I am not aware of any offer with terms that cross reference personal, business or corporate cards. These are three independent strands, and holding one should have no effect on bonus eligibility in another.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:34 am

Thank you both; I appreciate the help!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by mia
There appears to be a conflict only because the rules recently changed. Under the immediately preceding rules holding a related card (a card which participates in the same rewards program) did sometimes disqualify bonus for all cards in the same rewards program. This is not true for personal cards today, and it is seldom true for business cards.

Wrinkle: there are still offers with the very broad "if we identify you as an American Express customer..." disqualification language. Only a very few people have reported that these terms were enforced. I just apply using an Incognito or Private browser window and ignore the sentence.

I am not aware of any offer with terms that cross reference personal, business or corporate cards. These are three independent strands, and holding one should have no effect on bonus eligibility in another.
I applied for the delta gold amex back in June and received the 50K offer etc that is now open to everyone. I would like to take advantage of the current offer for the platinum as the MQM bonus would bump me into PM level. If I go the incognito route and apply for the platinum you are saying that "theoretically" the bonus should be applied to my account? What will happen to my gold card once I open the platinum? Is it considered upgraded to platinum or is still open and I will have to cancel the card?

Thanks for your help, first post BTW!

ETA: When clicking the offer link, it identifies me as an amex customer (I am logged into Amex and not in Incognito) and after clicking upgrade to platinum, I read in the T&C:

"Upgrades from a Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card can get 5,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles after you charge an eligible purchase to your upgraded Card account within the first 12 months"
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia

I am confused. Isn't the now 'lifetime" rule means if you have ANY personal card in the past, you would not be eligible for ANY personal card bonus again? But you are saying now it is for IDENTICAL product versus the ANY that officially became in effect from May?

My personal Gold was canceled in Jul 2013. I am only eligible for personal Plat bonus, is it correct?

Or, since I never have a Business Gold, I am eligible for the Business Gold bonus and that would be a better deal for me as I dont care for the EQM, right?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
well, I have the Delta Gold Amex Personal about 9-10 months ago, Just applied for the Business Gold and will report back if I get the sign-up bonus, I dont see why I wouldnt. Its a company card, its at least 9 months passed signing up for my personal card.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I am confused. Isn't the now 'lifetime" rule means if you have ANY personal card in the past, you would not be eligible for ANY personal card bonus again? But you are saying now it is for IDENTICAL product versus the ANY that officially became in effect from May?

My personal Gold was canceled in Jul 2013. I am only eligible for personal Plat bonus, is it correct?

Or, since I never have a Business Gold, I am eligible for the Business Gold bonus and that would be a better deal for me as I dont care for the EQM, right?
One bonus per lifetime, for any specific, particular card. PERSONAL ONLY. Business cards, for the moment at least, still run under different rules (12 months after closing, mostly). So if you have had Delta Gold Personal, you can get the bonus for the Delta Platinum Personal, Delta Business Gold, or Delta Business Platinum (or potentially 2 or all 3 of those).
Similarly, if you previously had an SPG Amex personal, you can't get another bonus for it, but you could get the SPG Amex business or the Hilton Amex bonuses.

Edit to add: This has nothing to do with the Delta cards, but The classic amex charge cards (platinum, green, gold) have in the past had extra rules saying you had to have closed any other green/gold/platinum >90 days ago even if you had never had that specific card, so I'd probably still make sure I'd both closed my amex platinum >90 days ago before applying for an amex gold even though I've never had the amex gold.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacobsta811
One bonus per lifetime, for any specific, particular card. PERSONAL ONLY. Business cards, for the moment at least, still run under different rules (12 months after closing, mostly). So if you have had Delta Gold Personal, you can get the bonus for the Delta Platinum Personal, Delta Business Gold, or Delta Business Platinum (or potentially 2 or all 3 of those).
Similarly, if you previously had an SPG Amex personal, you can't get another bonus for it, but you could get the SPG Amex business or the Hilton Amex bonuses.

Edit to add: This has nothing to do with the Delta cards, but The classic amex charge cards (platinum, green, gold) have in the past had extra rules saying you had to have closed any other green/gold/platinum >90 days ago even if you had never had that specific card, so I'd probably still make sure I'd both closed my amex platinum >90 days ago before applying for an amex gold even though I've never had the amex gold.
So there is already a modification on the "lifetime" rule that came in effect in May - because that rule means ANY personal card bonus in the past would disqualify you to earn ANY personal card bonus now, REGARDLESS which personal cards you had in the past and which personal cards you are getting. i.e. owning an SPG personal card would disqualify you for any of the personal card from SPG, HHonors, Delta, Jetblue whatever... That is the new rule put in May.

So now the interpretation is, it only applies to the SAME card, i.e. SPG versus SPG, but the "ANY" goes away?

I know the biz card is only limited to the 12 months rule - i.e. you must not have the same card during the immediately preceding 12 months at the time of application.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:45 pm
mia

So there is already a modification on the "lifetime" rule that came in effect in May - because that rule means ANY personal card bonus in the past would disqualify you to earn ANY personal card bonus now, REGARDLESS which personal cards you had in the past and which personal cards you are getting. i.e. owning an SPG personal card would disqualify you for any of the personal card from SPG, HHonors, Delta, Jetblue whatever... That is the new rule put in May..
No, this the opposite of what the rule says. If you have ever held an American Express personal Green charge card you are disqualified from earning another new account bonus for the same product (personal Green charge card). This does not prevent you from earning a bonus for a Gold or Platinum charge card.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:12 am

I hope y'all might be able to help me with this.
I applied for a Delta Gold card last week in short so I could use the miles I had accrued; but not enough for a full award ticket. I applied while booking a ticket.
After entering all my info - it did not instantly approve me and said I would hear from them in 7-10 days. I went ahead and booked the ticket (it was half off what it was advertised a day before) with another credit card.
About an hour later, I received an email from Amex saying I was approved. About 4 days later I received my card.
In order to get the $50 statement credit, can I change the credit card on my reservation? Put the reservation cost on to my new Delta Amex vs my other card I used?
Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacobsta811
Edit to add: This has nothing to do with the Delta cards, but The classic amex charge cards (platinum, green, gold) have in the past had extra rules saying you had to have closed any other green/gold/platinum >90 days ago even if you had never had that specific card
It does too have to do with Delta cards: I've seen (old rules) Delta offers which said that you wouldn't get bonus if you had this card open within the past 12 months or if you had any Delta card open in the last 90 days.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 16, 2014 at 11:26 am
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
No, this the opposite of what the rule says. If you have ever held an American Express personal Green charge card you are disqualified from earning another new account bonus for the same product (personal Green charge card). This does not prevent you from earning a bonus for a Gold or Platinum charge card.
mia, I understand how the CHARGE cards work. What I am confused is how the Affinity cards work, like SPG, HHonors, Delta.

In previous posts you said if one only has Delta Gold personal, one could still get Delta Plat personal. That to me is NOT what the new rules are said. The new rules said you would not get any personal card bonus (the affinity type) if you have earned any personal card bonus in the past. (again, the affinity type).

So exactly how the Personal Affinity Cards work? In particular, how are the current rules for Delta PERSONAL cards?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:17 pm
mia

... The new rules said you would not get any personal card bonus (the affinity type) if you have earned any personal card bonus in the past. (again, the affinity type).
Please provide a link to an offer with terms which you believe say this.

Some offers include the statement "If we identify you as an American Express customer...". That sentence is not new, and many, many people have received bonuses since it first appeared, only a few have had a bonus denied based on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.