Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
THIS THREAD IS CLOSED. New thread here.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Gold Personal:
"Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months."
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...elta-skymiles/

A post on Reddit suggests that you can find a 50K offer, but with a $100 credit, by doing a dummy booking on Delta.com.
The offer should appear before you have to pay for the flight.

Gold Business:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...c-golddelta-lm
"Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months."

Platinum Personal:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...skymiles/25330
"Earn 35,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months."

Platinum Business:
https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...t-card/dal-624
"Earn 70,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Note: Review the recent discussion in the thread about various other ways to try to locate offers as high as 50k+$50 credit.

Getting the statement credit:
MrMoonlight successfully purchased a Delta ecert (essentially a gift card) and received the statement credit. See this post..
Jacobsta811 also received $50 credit for $50 e-cert on both gold business and gold personal cards.
muji received $100 credit for $50 eCert on Delta Platinum card
sdsearch
received $100 credit for $50 eCert on business Platinum card (see this post).

vah4883
received $100 credit for $5.6 tax on Platinum card

So there's no thread covering this card as a whole, which means no links in the dedicated CC offers thread, so I thought I would make one so UA Fan has something to link.

Delta cards are hard because the generic public offer at Amex is pretty bad (10k miles), but there are several ways to get a better offer:
  • Delta Amex Card. Input your SkyPesos number and last name. Do this in incognito mode to get the best results. I won't get any offer if I don't do it incognito. I get 35k for $750 in 3m.
  • Delta.com Stock Offers.
Print Wikipost

Offers for Delta Amex Cards [2013-2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Gift card purchases from Amex do not earn miles/points.
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
You won't get the bonus if you had this card, or any Delta card, in the past.
Both of these statements are inaccurate.

While American Express's published terms state that gift card purchases do not earn rewards, in practice they do. I will locate a recent report and add a link when I have some time.

If you have ever held a personal Skymiles card you are not eligible to earn a bonus if applying for the same card, but holding a Gold card does not disqualify earning a bonus for Platinum (or vice-versa). Also, business cards do not disqualify earning a bonus for a personal card, and business cards have entirely different rules.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
If you have ever held a personal Skymiles card you are not eligible to earn a bonus if applying for the same card, but holding a Gold card does not disqualify earning a bonus for Platinum (or vice-versa). Also, business cards do not disqualify earning a bonus for a personal card, and business cards have entirely different rules.
That statement is incorrect.

If you had ANY personal Skymiles card you are not eligible to earn a bonus. The language in the AMEX disclosure pertains to the "class of credit cards", not to a specific version of the class.
Thus, the word "same" is not "same" as in "exactly the same", but is "same" as in "closely related".
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:38 am
mia

...The language in the AMEX disclosure pertains to the "class of credit cards", not to a specific version of the class.
Do you have a link to this? Here is what I see:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:51 am
mia

To remove any residual doubt, read this sequence of posts in which WWads confirms receiving a bonus from a Skymiles Platinum card while holding Skymiles Gold:

Is that absolutely correct?

I've called Amex about it multiple times over the past few days.

4 out of 5 agents said that they are separate products, so you can get the personal Platinum bonus if you already have the personal Gold. 1 said that they are the same product, so you can't.

The online chat said that they are the same product, and the terms and conditions aren't clear either.

Originally Posted by mia
Yes. Cards with different names (e.g. Gold, Platinum) are always different products. There is confusion because American Express has experimented with several anti-churning strategies, including one which disqualified new account bonuses if one held a related card. but this did not make them the same product.

Remember that everything you read about this topic is a generalization. There is no substitute for reading the terms of the specific offer, because there are exceptions.

Just completed spend on my Platinum card. Hopefully Amex cooperates and doesn't try to pull a fast one with the signup bonus. I have recordings of agents (and a supervisor) telling me that I would get it, even though I already hold the Gold, so I dare them to try.

I'll report back with the outcome.

The sign-up bonus for my Platinum card just posted, as promised. I already hold the gold card, so I had some concerns that I wouldn't get it, despite the assurances of Amex agents.

I'm glad that I didn't have to fight them for it.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:07 am
Suspended

One person's bonus does not a trend make.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:50 am

I got both the Delta Gold (personal) and Delta Plat (personal) and received the bonus on both. As did many others.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zer0k1
I got both the Delta Gold (personal) and Delta Plat (personal) and received the bonus on both. As did many others.
Cool.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:03 am
mia

Originally Posted by mia
While American Express's published terms state that gift card purchases do not earn rewards, in practice they do. I will locate a recent report and add a link when I have some time.
Read this thread. Continue to at least post 17:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-purchase.html
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I cancelled my Delta Gold AMEX. The collection of miles are not worth the AF. I suggest everyone else cancel this card too.
I agree. The DL Platinum & Reserve Amexes are much better products with the MQM boosts and companion certificates.

Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:32 am

I booked a flight a few days ago to Europe and the grand total for 2 RT tickets was 120,000 SkyMiles and $152.80 in taxes/fees.

I had 3x$50 eGifts that I got from my PRG($100 credit) and Delta Gold($50 credit) card. So I tried everything I could to use those $150 towards the taxes/fees when I booked online but it was impossible.

I called up Delta to see if there was a work-a-round. I spoke to 4 different reps before I got to one that actually wanted to help me out. I spent an hour on the phone with her and she was able to successfully apply all 3 of my $50 eGifts towards my booking after a few failed attempts.

So in the end I paid $2.80 in taxes/fees for my award flight.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
I agree. The DL Platinum & Reserve Amexes are much better products with the MQM boosts and companion certificates.

If you have a companion in the first place
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If you have a companion in the first place
But of course, that's not a problem with the credit card product, now is it?

Just because a certain product does not work for you does not mean everyone should immediately follow your lead and abandon it.

The notion of individual applicability is a thought akin to what someone recently posted:
One person's bonus does not a trend make.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
Just because a certain product does not work for you does not mean everyone should immediately follow your lead and abandon it.
Just because a certain product does work for you does not mean everyone should immediately follow your lead and keep it.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just because a certain product does work for you does not mean everyone should immediately follow your lead and keep it.
I absolutely agree.

You're the only one here applying personal experience to the rest of the world.
I cancelled my Delta Gold AMEX. The collection of miles are not worth the AF. I suggest everyone else cancel this card too.

You won't get the bonus if you had this card, or any Delta card, in the past.
On top of that, paying an AF for close to worthless miles is idiotic. Everyone should in fact cancel this card and move to PRG or EP.
Again:
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:07 pm
Suspended

So? I said "suggest". I did not say "must".
Again: for you.

We will eventually hear from AMEX in one of their earnings calls how they are doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.