Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting items from AmEx annual report

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Interesting items from AmEx annual report

Average annual fee per credit card is $39. Surprisingly low IMHO.

Charge offs for bad debt about 2/3 of a $billion.

Additional expense for membership rewards about 1/3 $B because they raised their estimate of the % of points that will be redeemed to 94%.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:38 pm

Didn't expect their predicted redemption rate would be so high.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Coolers
Didn't expect their predicted redemption rate would be so high.
I thought the same thing. Maybe they have some awesome transfer bouses coming up?

Wishful thinking, obviously....
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Or perhaps there are other forces at play. I'm certainly burning my AX MR points at a much faster pace now than in the past. I have a bit more time to travel, and with devaluations everywhere, it seems like this may be a 'last hurrah' of the way things used to be.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Overlapping discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-5-400-a.html
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:37 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Interesting info on yearly fees!

Thank you Pioneer for sharing the info: "Average annual fee per credit card is $39."

I am not really sure if this number is astonishingly low or not. Just thinking of many co-branding credit cards like the German Payback Amex or some BA cards. I assume there is a revenue split with a percentage which the interested public doesn't know.

But one message is interesting: If the average yearly fee is only 39 $ then all of the people having a higher tier card shouldn't be disappointed with their colour they now have. Think of the different posts with strategies of manufacturing spending to get an invitation for the next level.

So this number reassures all Green, Gold, Platinum card holders that they are paying above the average and can be confident with their card.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by some dude
Or perhaps there are other forces at play. I'm certainly burning my AX MR points at a much faster pace now than in the past. I have a bit more time to travel, and with devaluations everywhere, it seems like this may be a 'last hurrah' of the way things used to be.
Perhaps a little OT, but what are you referring to by "the way things used to be"? And why do you think it's ending (as opposed to maybe a temporary dip)?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by gum
Thank you Pioneer for sharing the info: "Average annual fee per credit card is $39."
There are a lot of cards with a $0 annual fee.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by nall
There are a lot of cards with a $0 annual fee.
And I would presume that those cards are held, on average, for a much longer duration of time than higher fee cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.