Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BJfly
Does that mean that the American Express points would belong to us jointly and could be transferred to a mileage program in either of our names?
The points belong to the primary cardholder, but because you would hold a supplementary card on her account your frequent flyer programs could also be linked to the same Membership Rewards account.

The $175 annual fee for the Supplementary card actually entitles her to order three. One for you, the others can be given to your children (if over age 15) or perhaps to a parent or other close relative who would not abuse the spending capability but who could make use of the lounge access, hotel statuses, or other benefits.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:11 pm

Any data points on whether a targeted Delta Gold offer to DW (who has not previously had the card and who is not interested) would generate the bonus if I applied (have had card)?
I have used her CITI offers in this way in the past, but not AMEX.
Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
As a data point...

I wanted to do the same thing (apply using somebody else's offer code) but I wasn't able to because I was unable to edit the name field.

However, today I just kept visiting the Amex platinum card site in incognito mode, and about the 4th time I visited it, the 100k offer populated!

I've confirmed with multiple reps that I will in fact receive the 100k offer. Of course, I guess nothing is concrete until I have it in my hand...

Edit: This offer is for the personal platinum card.
Is this for real?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:59 am

Responding to RSVP offer

I am trying to respond to an RSVP offer which my mom received for amex ed. When I put the RSVP code in on the amex website it does not allow me to change the name of the person. However, I am able to change the "name on card." Is the "name on card" the only name that matters?

First time responding to a targeted offer with different name.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Using targeted offer (not addressed to me)

Hi,

My wife got a targeted offer for a business platinum. As she doesn't have a business I thought about using it

But the name on the application (Freude out) could not be changed so I couldn't use it. That seems to be a new change as I think it was possible before.

Is that correct or did I do something wrong?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:02 pm

Haha, I've been getting offers for someone's offers to my address for quite some time. Never thought of actually trying to do this. I can recall some good Amex offers.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
But the name on the application (Freude out) could not be changed so I couldn't use it. That seems to be a new change as I think it was possible before.
It was that way for my various targeted offers.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:57 am

My roommate got a targeted offer for 100k/5k spend. He didn't want it so I was going to use it but when I apply his name is on the application. Is there anyway to bypass this?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
My roommate got a targeted offer for 100k/5k spend. He didn't want it so I was going to use it but when I apply his name is on the application. Is there anyway to bypass this?
Just delete it out and type in your info. Did this on a 75k Business Gold offer today. Instant approval.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Just delete it out and type in your info. Did this on a 75k Business Gold offer today. Instant approval.
That doesn't work anymore as it is locked
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:07 am

Weird. I've done this with two separate offers in the last 6 months with no problems. The most recent one arrived in the mail just last week.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Yes, the browser doesn't let you change it, unless you dig deeper. I just did this myself with a targeted 100K Personal Plat offer and was approved, same as (the aptly-named) FlyerTalkUserName. The name info is in form fields. Use the developer tools in the browser to change that and it's changed on the page.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by roundtree
Yes, the browser doesn't let you change it, unless you dig deeper. I just did this myself with a targeted 100K Personal Plat offer and was approved, same as (the aptly-named) FlyerTalkUserName. The name info is in form fields. Use the developer tools in the browser to change that and it's changed on the page.
Nice. Going under the hood. I'm using Chrome and I'm able to do it directly in the form. Maybe it's other browsers that limit it?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Nice. Going under the hood. I'm using Chrome and I'm able to do it directly in the form. Maybe it's other browsers that limit it?
For the code I used, Chrome wouldn't let me update the First/Last names directly without using the developer tools. Perhaps not all codes are created equal?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by roundtree
For the code I used, Chrome wouldn't let me update the First/Last names directly without using the developer tools. Perhaps not all codes are created equal?
Mine was for a business so that might be where the flexibility comes in. Will be something to keep an eye on moving forward. Good to know the forum has already found a way around it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.