Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:37 pm

Can you use RSVP invite codes that were not mailed to you in your name?

My dad got a RSVP invite code for Amex Plat for 100k MR rewards but doesn't want to open a card. Can I use his invite code to open one in my name, or does Amex match the names?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by letopeto
My dad got a RSVP invite code for Amex Plat for 100k MR rewards but doesn't want to open a card. Can I use his invite code to open one in my name, or does Amex match the names?
Not exactly the same situation as yours, but I just successfully opened an account with the same offer...mailed to my home address, but in a business name for which I am not authorized to sign. I called and nicely asked the Amex rep for some coaching as to how to fill out the form (I had two other very small businesses that could qualify). I later filled out the form online and was instantly approved. Good luck!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:41 pm

Like the above poster I have successfully used the RSVP from a business platinum offer that was not in my name/business. Last year my doctor had just happened to get the 150k MR offer in the mail the same day I was there for a check up. He offered it to me to let me try using. I changed all the info to mine and was instantly approved online without any issues.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:05 pm

My dad received the 100k offer and when I entered his code on the amex website, his name is filled in and not editable. Do you all have any suggestions for how to use his referral code or should I just try calling?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:43 pm

As a data point...

I wanted to do the same thing (apply using somebody else's offer code) but I wasn't able to because I was unable to edit the name field.

However, today I just kept visiting the Amex platinum card site in incognito mode, and about the 4th time I visited it, the 100k offer populated!

I've confirmed with multiple reps that I will in fact receive the 100k offer. Of course, I guess nothing is concrete until I have it in my hand...

Edit: This offer is for the personal platinum card.

Last edited by TravelingFitzMe; Aug 26, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:12 am

If the offer is targeted towards one person, can someone else apply for it using same code? Do they verify name and all associated with the invitation code? My roommate received the offer and applied for the card, but I want to apply using his code as well.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cronin85
My roommate received the offer and applied for the card, but I want to apply using his code as well.
You can't. You'll get a message stating that you're already a member.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:21 pm

I have a link for the 100k personal plat and it allows you to key in a different name, could I run into any issues sharing it with someone?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:46 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Targeted to former owner - Amex Plat Business 150K MR

I received a targeted mailer, addressed to a former owner of my house, with an RSVP code for an Amex Business Plat with 100K MR after $10K spend/3 months plus 50K MR after $10K more in the following 3 months (so 150K MR total). I haven't done an Amex business card at all before so shouldn't have a churning problem with this application. I can hit those targets without too much effort.

Question - I know the rsvp code is single use, but can I use it even though it was targeted to someone else?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GloverParker
I received a targeted mailer, addressed to a former owner of my house, with an RSVP code for an Amex Business Plat with 100K MR after $10K spend/3 months plus 50K MR after $10K more in the following 3 months (so 150K MR total). I haven't done an Amex business card at all before so shouldn't have a churning problem with this application. I can hit those targets without too much effort.

Question - I know the rsvp code is single use, but can I use it even though it was targeted to someone else?
I used an Amex Business Plat offer addressed to somebody else (same/similar offer as yours). The offer was confirmed when I applied by phone. I've already received the first 100k MR points after spending $10k. Should work for you.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:27 am

Anyway to refer someone and them get the 100K offer?
My referral shows like 50K and want my friend to get the 100K
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:09 pm

Platinum card lounge question

I travel enough that lounge access would make the Platinum card worthwhile for me. My wife just received (for the 3rd time, so maybe this is a normal offer, but it seems pretty good to me) a 100,000 point sign up offer for that card. I also frequently get offers, but the sign up bonus is significantly lower when I get the offers. My understanding is that only the primary card holder gets lounge access (I understand the guest policy). My question is: Is there a way to sign up with that bonus, but make me the primary card holder, as I usually travel solo for business, and my wife would therefore be unable to guest me in, as she would not be with me? Thank you for your input.

BJFly
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BJfly
... My understanding is that only the primary card holder gets lounge access
This is inaccurate. If your wife orders a Supplementary Platinum card ($175/yr), you will receive every benefit including lounge access. The $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit is shared across all cards on the account, it's $200 per account not $200 per card.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by khochurn
My dad received the 100k offer and when I entered his code on the amex website, his name is filled in and not editable. Do you all have any suggestions for how to use his referral code or should I just try calling?
In my experiences in last year, the names were editable.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:48 pm

Thank you

Originally Posted by mia
This is inaccurate. If your wife orders a Supplementary Platinum card ($175/yr), you will receive every benefit including lounge access. The $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit is shared across all cards on the account, it's $200 per account not $200 per card.
Wow, I didn't know that... that would be perfect. Does that mean that the American Express points would belong to us jointly and could be transferred to a mileage program in either of our names?

Thank you,
BJFly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.