Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex international airline program scam?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I don't know why, but when I search the ticket, the same tickets and same seats, IAP always about $100 more than normal tickets, it just next to each other on the search result.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by holacarson
....IAP always about $100 more than normal tickets,
Which airlines and routes are you searching?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Is this some kind of scam? because the IAP tickets always higher, see the pic below, they are same tickets same day and same seats, next to each other in the search result
Am I did something wrong?

Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:54 am

Probably some sort of computer glitch? Just click on the fare and see what prices out at checkout.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Statman
Probably some sort of computer glitch? Just click on the fare and see what prices out at checkout.
check out is the same price, I tried few time, end up I brought the first picture tickets same seats and same flight time from Delat.com, cost $1100, about $100 less than amex travel
Don't know why, to me just feel like Amex scam
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The first one is probably a rounding issue on the taxes.

For the second one, are they the same fare bucket? IAP isn't always a straight discount on the lowest available fare, it is its own inventory. I can't say I've ever seen it be more than regular, but I've also had the phone team tell me IAP was unavailable, and they've also found IAP fares with a $0 cancellation fee. I've also seen weird things where if it's a DL ticket it costs differently than if it's a KL ticket operated by DL. The last one isn't your situation, just a general point that IAP isn't straightforward. I don't think it's an intentional scam though or they wouldn't be showing you the non-IAP.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:33 pm
mia

It looks as if you are comparing two prices displayed by amextravel? For DTW-PKX 15 APR-12 OCT delta.com is displaying $1347.75 in Premium Select.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103

For the second one, are they the same fare bucket? IAP isn't always a straight discount on the lowest available fare, it is its own inventory. I can't say I've ever seen it be more than regular, but I've also had the phone team tell me IAP was unavailable, and they've also found IAP fares with a $0 cancellation fee. I've also seen weird things where if it's a DL ticket it costs differently than if it's a KL ticket operated by DL. The last one isn't your situation, just a general point that IAP isn't straightforward. I don't think it's an intentional scam though or they wouldn't be showing you the non-IAP.
the second one, both are in the same fare bucket, so weird.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
It looks as if you are comparing two prices displayed by amextravel? For DTW-PKX 15 APR-12 OCT delta.com is displaying $1347.75 in Premium Select.
I am not comparing it, it just showing from my search result by itself, the only thing I did is check the non-stop box to filter out other options.
I brought the tickets from Delta.com on Jan 24th $1184.98 in Premium Select right after I took the screen shot from amex travel
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you call Amex Platinum Travel Services?
I've found the Amextravel.com website can be quite awful. Sometimes it just doesn't even return many options. But you'll see in the main IAP thread lots of examples of solid savings from both the website and the call center.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's strange. I just last month saved 500 bucks a ticket on 4 tickets SFO-LIS on AF. Fares classes are 1/J/J/Z.
In point of fact, the saving I get from IAP, which I use for all my international travel, is the reason I pay the AF for the Platinum Card. And will continue to as long as the IAP defrays the cost of the card.
Edit-
"Did you call Amex Platinum Travel Services?
I've found the Amextravel.com website can be quite awful."
I did have to call in, not for fares but because the website - it is awful - wouldn't accept my CVV as I was completing the purchase. They're waived the $39 agency fee.

Last edited by rickg523; Jan 29, 2020 at 3:26 pm
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:20 pm
mia

I am not comparing it, it just showing from my search result by itself,
Thank you for the clarification. The replies are trying to explain the difference between the top and bottom fares displayed in both images. Airfares are dynamic, and can change very rapidly depending on the fare bucket inventory. As you see, I found a higher fare on delta.com.

Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the second one, both are in the same fare bucket, so weird.
How do you know that they are in the same fare bucket? Does amex travel show the fare bucket somewhere? When I booked my ticket I had to download the e-ticket from the carrier's website to find the bucket. Is there a way to determine the fare bucket before purchasing (you can match up the pre-discount fare with a published one and assume that they are the same... which is probabaly usually right?)
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
The IAP fare for the first one seems to be a discounted version of GLX77PPD which prices at $1347.75 and books into G.

I have absolutely no idea what the non-discounted one is. Delta does not have a published fare that is cheaper that GLX77PPD for premium economy between those 2 cities. I suspect that it's actually a discounted IAP fare that is, for some reason, confusing the search engine into thinking it's not IAP.

So, no scam here. You are saving $135 from the cheapest you can get from Delta. If you're unsure, try to price it on matrix or Google flights.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:59 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The IAP fare for the first one seems to be a discounted version of GLX77PPD which prices at $1347.75 and books into G.

I have absolutely no idea what the non-discounted one is. Delta does not have a published fare that is cheaper that GLX77PPD for premium economy between those 2 cities. I suspect that it's actually a discounted IAP fare that is, for some reason, confusing the search engine into thinking it's not IAP.

So, no scam here. You are saving $135 from the cheapest you can get from Delta. If you're unsure, try to price it on matrix or Google flights.
I would not be surprised at all if the top in #1 was the same IAP fare but not advertised correctly, just know Amextravel.com isn't very good.
The second one is interesting though, it could be another web glitch, flagging the wrong one as IAP, or OP could be incorrect about them being the "same fare". Business is not always business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.