Wiki Posts
Search

CDN AMEX Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
CDN AMEX Platinum

My wife's card is set to expire in a few weeks. We really wanted access to the Cathay Pacific Gold (ie Saphire status on OW). The T&C say it's a perk for one year only; however, some posters have stated that they have had their membership renewed again.

We thought what the #$%, lets see if we could sign her up for another Plat care ($699 fee - $200 credit this year - $200 travel credit next year) + 60,000 points for her, 15,000 points for me for referral.....and be assured of the Saphire status before heading out on another RTW trip.

It worked....new card in hand today.

Can we ask AMEX to transfer her 100K+ points from the old card to the new card? I don't want them coming back and say we should have never given that card to you:
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:02 pm

Interesting, 2 Plat cards under same person without asking for retention first

I'd think if you provided your original Plat card # at application, or when you called AMEX ask them to link to your existing MR, you wouldn't have 2 MR accounts now

You probably have to call AMEX to ask to confirm transferability though, keep us posted as I'm super curious
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I'm afraid - Should I be?

I am afraid that if I call to transfer my wife's 100K+ miles from her original Plat to the new Platinum card they may cancel or stop us from getting the 60K bonus + 15K referral that we should get from the 2nd card.

If there were a bonus transfer with Avios or Aeroplan right now - I would transfer her MR points from the old card, cancel it and continue on.

Can she transfer them to any other MR account? (ie mine), could she apply for a Gold Card and transfer them to that card?

I would like to get this taken care of before her renewal comes up in the next week. Can the renewal be prorated (ie. let it go for 30 days then cancel)

Any advice would be appreciated based on your experience.

Jerry - PM me and I can tell you why I think the 2nd card may have done through.

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Interesting, 2 Plat cards under same person without asking for retention first

I'd think if you provided your original Plat card # at application, or when you called AMEX ask them to link to your existing MR, you wouldn't have 2 MR accounts now

You probably have to call AMEX to ask to confirm transferability though, keep us posted as I'm super curious
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Misnerfamily
I am afraid that if I call to transfer my wife's 100K+ miles from her original Plat to the new Platinum card they may cancel or stop us from getting the 60K bonus + 15K referral that we should get from the 2nd card.

If there were a bonus transfer with Avios or Aeroplan right now - I would transfer her MR points from the old card, cancel it and continue on.

Can she transfer them to any other MR account? (ie mine), could she apply for a Gold Card and transfer them to that card?

I would like to get this taken care of before her renewal comes up in the next week. Can the renewal be prorated (ie. let it go for 30 days then cancel)

Any advice would be appreciated based on your experience.

Jerry - PM me and I can tell you why I think the 2nd card may have done through.
Sadly I have no personal experience, but from what I read
- transfer MR to spouse may not be easy (call and ask, just don't give specifics?)

- this one works for sure - signing up GOLD card (20K welcome bonus via referral/15K standard) and link up both MR together, then cancel PLAT (you can even tell AMEX that you're moving to Gold card and that's perfect reason)

I think renewal can be prorated in first 2~3 months (call AMEX to confirm)
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Jerry - Thanks

The Goldcard it will be then!! I think this is the safest and easiest way to minimize and potential problems.

Cheers -Kev

I am sending you a PM too

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Sadly I have no personal experience, but from what I read
- transfer MR to spouse may not be easy (call and ask, just don't give specifics?)

- this one works for sure - signing up GOLD card (20K welcome bonus via referral/15K standard) and link up both MR together, then cancel PLAT (you can even tell AMEX that you're moving to Gold card and that's perfect reason)

I think renewal can be prorated in first 2~3 months (call AMEX to confirm)
Old May 7, 2013, 9:01 pm

How did it work out in the end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.