Centurion Card at Whole Foods

Old Apr 29, 13, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Centurion Card at Whole Foods

I've been using my Cent card at Whole Foods in Yorkville without incident since the place opened, most recently 2 days ago. Today I was told that I'm not allowed to swipe the card because "it's too thick, and damages the card reader". They offered to enter the number manually (which I declined).

This is the first time I've ever had a problem using the card anywhere in the world that takes AMEX. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Old Apr 29, 13, 1:39 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Despite the non-descriptive title, this thread is about problems caused by the thickness of the card:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nturion-2.html
Old Apr 29, 13, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
I recall the thread, and I never use the card in a self-serve setting, ATM etc. But this is just a run of the mill POS card reader, and I've never experienced a problem with those anywhere, including Whole Foods.
Old Apr 29, 13, 2:01 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Why do you care if the store manually key the numbers rather than swiping the card?
Old Apr 29, 13, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Why do you care if the store manually key the numbers rather than swiping the card?
Exactly, what's the issue?
Old Apr 29, 13, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

It takes longer. The clerk had to find a dummy card to swipe, then key in the total, then key in my CC number. There was a line up behind me and I just wanted to pay and leave. It was quicker to pull out a Visa card and use that. I do realize that a lot of people don't care about inconveniencing others though. I see it all the time, particularly in the Yorkville Whole Foods...
Old Apr 29, 13, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by antirealist View Post
It takes longer. The clerk had to find a dummy card to swipe, then key in the total, then key in my CC number. There was a line up behind me and I just wanted to pay and leave. It was quicker to pull out a Visa card and use that. I do realize that a lot of people don't care about inconveniencing others though. I see it all the time, particularly in the Yorkville Whole Foods...
That's silly. Every POS software I've ever seen has the ability to change the entry mode, which negates the need for a dummy card.
Old Apr 29, 13, 2:34 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
I thought this was going to be about how expensive Whole Foods is.
Old Apr 29, 13, 2:37 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by antirealist View Post
probably not the desired recognition of the centurion card that some desire....
Old Apr 29, 13, 2:54 pm
mia

Thank you for the explanation. Does your card have an EMV chip?
Old Apr 29, 13, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

No. If there are any titanium cards with a chip, I haven't seen one in Canada.
Old Apr 29, 13, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
A few years back, both Target and Walmart had devices that pulled the card into the machine to read it. It functioned sort of like an ATM. Until it read the Centurion card, which got stuck in the machine and closed the register line a week before Christmas. Not cool, but certainly a problem worth noting.
Old Apr 29, 13, 8:12 pm

How old is your Centurion card? Although I have not taken a micrometer to the new Centurion cards many have said they are thinner.
Old Apr 29, 13, 8:39 pm

I use my Centurion card (titanium with a chip) in the Whole Foods in Scottsdale, AZ and San Francisco, CA without a problem.
Old Apr 30, 13, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
How old is your Centurion card? Although I have not taken a micrometer to the new Centurion cards many have said they are thinner.
I am pretty certain that the new one is...no micrometer but I can guess the new card vs. the old card everytime.

TD Has some new readers at the LCBO and I it will never read the cent card when swiping from top to bottom...have to go from the bottom up....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: