Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AmEX [USA] Transfer Bonus is back! 35% to British Airways through 6.7.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
The best place learn about redeeming Avios points is in Flytalk's BAEC forum. The source of your Avios points does not change the redemption process. Start with this thread:

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]
Print Wikipost

AmEX [USA] Transfer Bonus is back! 35% to British Airways through 6.7.2013

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by nanirina
I remember reading awhile back that amex points can be transferred to airline accts other than yourself.

I just want to ask if someone has had success doing this on BA transfers? A couple of years ago my CHASE BA card wouldn't transfer points properly to my BA acct when my BA acct is a UK acct and my chase BA is a US card. So i was wondering if BA happens to be more strict than other airlines. Thanks!
Works for Additional Cardmembers on your U.S. account, at least.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
A good way to use Avios

I find that miles and money inside Europe is a really good way to use BA Avios. You don't have to use many miles and the money is far cheaper than buying a ticket. It works on Air Berlin and Iberia too. Availability is pretty good in my experience.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
I find that miles and money inside Europe is a really good way to use BA Avios. You don't have to use many miles and the money is far cheaper than buying a ticket. It works on Air Berlin and Iberia too. Availability is pretty good in my experience.
Here's an example of a sweet spot, London to Moscow
LON DME, 40k businesc lass return, 60k F class return, and minimal YQ.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
5/31?

Blogger "Deals we like" says the deadline in 5/31. Anyone else seen this?
Old May 30, 2013, 9:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Get 35% more Avios when you transfer Membership Rewards® points to your British Airways Executive Club account by June 7, 2013. As a British Airways Executive Club member, you can use Avios toward Reward flights for travel to more than 800 destinations worldwide through partner airlines of the oneworld® alliance. Terms, conditions, and restrictions apply.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm about to move about 200K MRs to BA to close out my wife's Amex account (fee came due).

I can't decide if there's any advantage in going to my BA account. We're together in a household, and each of us should have a 2-4-1 from Chase soon. Given all that, it really should matter which account holds the miles, right?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm about to move about 200K MRs to BA to close out my wife's Amex account (fee came due).

I can't decide if there's any advantage in going to my BA account. We're together in a household, and each of us should have a 2-4-1 from Chase soon. Given all that, it really should matter which account holds the miles, right?
No, it doesn't. Think of the points in the account as held as joint property, with either of you able to have an award issued from that merged number. BA will show you how many points are in each account, but that's only relevant if at some future point, you dissolve the household account.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:48 am

Looking at transferring my MR rewards balance to ba.. about 200k. I have about 80k existing ba. Thinking of using them for SYD and maybe TYO trip 9 months-a year down the road. I could hold off for a few months but I guess it'd be a gamble as to whether there would be another bonus (was hoping for 50). Should I just jump on it and be done with it?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:02 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by bluerunningsocks
Looking at transferring my MR rewards balance to ba.. about 200k. I have about 80k existing ba. Thinking of using them for SYD and maybe TYO trip 9 months-a year down the road. I could hold off for a few months but I guess it'd be a gamble as to whether there would be another bonus (was hoping for 50). Should I just jump on it and be done with it?
I made the decision to move all of mine. I knew that ultimately, I'd want to move the points to BA. And although a transfer bonus has come around faithfully for some years now, it's not a guarantee and it's uncertain as to when the next one would be. If AMEX offers 50% in the next month or two, I'll kick myself - but I'd kick myself even harder if I delayed and then moved the points with no bonus.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I made the decision to move all of mine. I knew that ultimately, I'd want to move the points to BA. And although a transfer bonus has come around faithfully for some years now, it's not a guarantee and it's uncertain as to when the next one would be. If AMEX offers 50% in the next month or two, I'll kick myself - but I'd kick myself even harder if I delayed and then moved the points with no bonus.
Makes sense. I just get concerned about a large deval in programs I have points hoarded in. I need to catch up to be in line with short term usable levels
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: Elite status everywhere, not enough time to enjoy
Never done a conversion of MR points...but after reading through this...I elected to convert a "test" 17000 MR ( 22950 Avios ). We live in Chicago but my parents are in New orleans ( MSY ). I've never paid less than $250 to see them, and since I always buy three seats, this seemed like a good way of saving a minumum of $750 (4.4cpm). The giant question will be whether I can actually redeem at 7500 avios ( ORD - MSY ). Knowing my luck those seats won't be available and i'll have a random allocation of points.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by grantsi
Never done a conversion of MR points...but after reading through this...I elected to convert a "test" 17000 MR ( 22950 Avios ). We live in Chicago but my parents are in New orleans ( MSY ). I've never paid less than $250 to see them, and since I always buy three seats, this seemed like a good way of saving a minumum of $750 (4.4cpm). The giant question will be whether I can actually redeem at 7500 avios ( ORD - MSY ). Knowing my luck those seats won't be available and i'll have a random allocation of points.
I book a lot of domestic flights on AA out of ORD using Avios. Usually never have trouble finding seats, no matter the destination.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: Elite status everywhere, not enough time to enjoy
Originally Posted by kaipoman
I book a lot of domestic flights on AA out of ORD using Avios. Usually never have trouble finding seats, no matter the destination.
Good to know...thanks
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: Several
Now I know why some people keep spreadsheets or notes on dates; I almost didn't meet the transfer deadline of this bonus! I had it in my head that the deadline was 6/17 not 6/7. Good thing I checked it last night (early this morning).

There have been as great as 50% bonuses when transferring to BA, but I'd rather have 35% more Avios than none in case the worst happened and there were no more bonuses on transfers. I'm content with that. I depleted my MR account for Avios, but I think it'll be worth it.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 9:12 am

I got in an booked two one way seats BOS-DUB for 12/30. 38k net miles in J. I haven't booked a return yet because we don't know what we actually want to do. Maybe between now and then there will be another bonus!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.