FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Platinum Sign up bonus points awarded accidentally [Canada]? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1457869-platinum-sign-up-bonus-points-awarded-accidentally-canada.html)

Katemacd85 Apr 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Platinum Sign up bonus points awarded accidentally [Canada]?

I recently signed up for a Platinum Amex in Canada. I used the referral link and was to be given 60,000 pts. When I was confirming this I was told I was signed up to get 50k pts. I then called back to confirm again and was told indeed I was registered under the 60k after spending $3,000.
Last night I checked my MR and was surprised to see I was already at over 50k pts. I didn't expect to be getting the sign up pts for another month. There was a deposit of 50k pts when I purchased a plane ticket 2 days before the end if the first billing cycle. It was given as a bonus of the flight booking. Not something Amex does.
I'm thinking they screwed up and only gave me 50k when it was to be 60k but can't explain the timing of the deposit or logic.
A blessing or a curse?

mia Apr 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Katemacd85 (Post 20581476)
...When I was confirming this I was told I was signed up to get 50k pts.

Welcome to Flyertalk. If you were told you were enrolled in a 50k offer and received 50k, I would think there is no mystery. I would complete the $3,000 spend and then inquire about the additional 10k points.

carpooltunnel Apr 12, 2013 1:18 pm

What is the exact Description listed next to the 50k points under the Activity Detail tab of your points summary?

If it says something like: PRG $1K spend/50K MR Points (example from a recent PRG bonus), then I would contact a CSR, because you want those extra 10k. Can I ask how much of your required spend you were at when you received it? Perhaps they do have you down for the wrong bonus with a lower spend requirement.

If it says something else in the description, then you could take a risk, reach your 3k spend, and see if you get the 60k on top. A possible error in your favor. But time is never on your side when dealing with bonus issues, so there is the risk that that 60k will never materialize, and then you're left with trying to resolve this a month later. If that risk is too high, call now and have them figure out what the heck is happening.

markandrew Apr 12, 2013 2:12 pm

I believe the 50,000 post when you spend $1,000 as per the regular sign up, and you get the extra 10,000 when you hit $3,000. This has caused confusion for many. It is normal that any MRs post immediately after you hot the spend targets, next morning.

Welcome to Plat :)

Katemacd85 Apr 12, 2013 5:51 pm

The 50k was listed in the points earned for my flight booked which was $1,000. Did not appear on its own as the bonus. I think I reached somewhere around the required $3000 spend but would have to go back and check

kev888 Apr 14, 2013 6:45 am

Not sure if you already have an AX card, but when I got my platinum, they merged the existing MR account I had on my gold, and my platinum showed 45k points right off the bat.