ITIN and SSN question

Old Apr 7, 13, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA/DL
ITIN and SSN question

Never mind.

Last edited by pigx5; Apr 8, 13 at 12:06 am Reason: delete
Old Apr 7, 13, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Do you just for whatever not have an SSN, or are you not eligible for one? Assuming that you're not eligible for one, this would imply that you're not eligible to work in the US. If that's the case, where is the income that you stated on the application coming from?
Old Apr 7, 13, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Do you just for whatever not have an SSN, or are you not eligible for one? Assuming that you're not eligible for one, this would imply that you're not eligible to work in the US. If that's the case, where is the income that you stated on the application coming from?
My income is from oversea and I already have credit card from other major banks under my ITIN.
Old Apr 7, 13, 11:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 4 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond
Are you a US citizen? What country did you apply for the AMEX card in? I assume the USA? What country are you a resident of? It doesn't matter if you already have credit cards with your ITIN. An ITIN is NOT the same as a SSN. Anyone can apply to get an ITIN, even a non-resident.

You never answered the question about are you eligible for a SSN in the USA?
Old Apr 8, 13, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saint View Post
Are you a US citizen? What country did you apply for the AMEX card in? I assume the USA? What country are you a resident of? It doesn't matter if you already have credit cards with your ITIN. An ITIN is NOT the same as a SSN. Anyone can apply to get an ITIN, even a non-resident.

You never answered the question about are you eligible for a SSN in the USA?

1. No.
2. USA
3. USA for now.
4. I am not eligible.
Old Apr 8, 13, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 4 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond
pigx5,

Thanks for taking the time to post back. AMEX can see the difference between ITIN #'s and SSN's. Each SSN is assigned in a way that they can get information from it (where it was applied for/assigned, etc).

I have heard that some banks have issued credit cards to ITIN's but AMEX is typically much more stringent in giving out their cards. For example, my wife wasn't from the USA but for tax purposes I had to get an ITIN for her to do my taxes.

With the ITIN she couldn't get an AMEX card but shortly after she got a SSN and she bought a car and I added her as an authorized user on some of my cards, AMEX gave her a Platinum Card.

Search this Thread