Opportunity to acquire points - worth it?

Old Apr 5, 13, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus
Opportunity to acquire points - worth it?

I have an opportunity to acquire 80k points for 1.1c/point. I've heard people say the value of points is as much as 1.5c/point. I know using the points in the MR marketplace probably isn't the best choice, but with travel I could potentially snag a much better value. So here's my question:

Is this a good deal? What would you do with 80k points? What's the way to get the best value?
Old Apr 6, 13, 10:14 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by mspflyer3 View Post
I have an opportunity to acquire 80k points for 1.1c/point. I've heard people say the value of points is as much as 1.5c/point. I know using the points in the MR marketplace probably isn't the best choice, but with travel I could potentially snag a much better value. So here's my question:

Is this a good deal? What would you do with 80k points? What's the way to get the best value?
Good question sorry I don't have a answer. I've got 150,000+ MR's and planning on using them to purchase flights.
Old Apr 6, 13, 5:22 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
I wouldn't buy points at 1.1 cent. You earn them at 1 cent per point on any regular purchase. You can earn them at 2 or 3 cents for other purchases.

However when redeeming them for international 1st class you can get 7 or 8 times that in value.

Then there's the argument that if you weren't planning on paying for 1st class then they're not really worth that much.

However I look at it as I earned them at 1 cent on the dollar, but I'm spending 100,000 on a $7 or $8,000 plane ticket, which gives me 7 or 8 times the value of them.

Others calculate it differently, but that's my take.
Old Apr 6, 13, 7:09 pm

Nobody can answer this but you. It depends on how many points you have and how easy it is for you to earn them. Someone with no balances with $1k/mo spending is going to have a different answer than those with 7-figure accounts with the ability to put through $50k of reimbursed business expenses each month.

Search this Thread