No personal income but high household income [UK]

Old Apr 1, 13, 7:57 am
Original Poster

No personal income but high household income [UK]

My partner (we are not married, but live together) has no income but I earn over Ģ50,000. Will amex let my partner have an amex in her own right?
Old Apr 1, 13, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by monkeytennis View Post
My partner (we are not married, but live together) has no income but I earn over Ģ50,000. Will amex let my partner have an amex in her own right?
That is very doubtful but you can get her an Amex card, in her name, which is attached to your card.
Old Apr 1, 13, 8:12 am
Original Poster

We do that already but would like to take advantage of another welcome bonus and companion voucher.
Old Apr 1, 13, 8:16 am

We do that already but would like to take advantage of another welcome bonus and companion voucher.

She has no income. You are not married and thus not responsible for her debts. What possible reason would Amex have to believe that her charges would be paid if you two split up?
Old Apr 1, 13, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

only latest financial regulations in US changed from household income to personal income... so prior to that household could be used.
Old Apr 1, 13, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
You should apply and see what happens.

Amex still uses household income as its benchmark, looking at the card ads on the website, so in theory you are OK.

Dovster - not many people get married in the UK these days (we never bothered) and the card companies would be out of business if they didn't treat unmarried couples the same as married couples. We are a fundamentally secular country, remember, in practice.

Remember to refer your partner from your own account so you get the referral bonus as well!
Old Apr 2, 13, 11:58 am

Programs: BA , Diners Club, El Al, YourPoints.
It should be fine But don't be surprised if your accounts get suspended and they want income proof.

Oh and do it through topcashback and get Ģ60 :P

Last edited by mia; Apr 3, 13 at 4:05 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Apr 3, 13, 6:09 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
I am really not sure about the welcome bonus! In my opinion your wife will get the welcome bonus only if she had't been an additional cardholder before.

So if I would be you I would read the terms and conditions of the welcome bonus twice in order to avoid unneccesarry hassle. If the wife would get a welcome bonus when being an additional cardholder before you could switch the positions every year.

First year: You are cardholder, wife additional holder
Second year: Wife as primary cardholder, cancel your own card, apply for additional card
Third year: Change again: You as primary cardholder and so on.

So I *think* but not knowing exactly that you won't be able to "cash in" another welcome bonus.

Furthermore you just should think about twice the membership fee if you know have one primary cardholder and one additional for a reduced fee.

Sorry that I couldnīt give you a detailed hint due to the fact that I donīt know how much you pay for the additional cardholder and what welcome bonus would be offered.

So a bit of maths is recommended.

Last edited by gum; Apr 3, 13 at 6:17 am
Old Apr 3, 13, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Dovster - not many people get married in the UK these days (we never bothered) and the card companies would be out of business if they didn't treat unmarried couples the same as married couples. We are a fundamentally secular country, remember, in practice.
How, then, is the credit card issuer protected if the couple splits up? If the pair is married, both partners are liable for the debt. If they are not married, each is liable only for the debts he/she incurs and, in this case, if the partner has no income, she would have no way to pay off her charges.

Last edited by Dovster; Apr 3, 13 at 6:35 am
Old Apr 3, 13, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC, KOP 305
Originally Posted by gum View Post
I am really not sure about the welcome bonus! In my opinion your wife will get the welcome bonus only if she had't been an additional cardholder before.

So if I would be you I would read the terms and conditions of the welcome bonus twice in order to avoid unneccesarry hassle. If the wife would get a welcome bonus when being an additional cardholder before you could switch the positions every year.

First year: You are cardholder, wife additional holder
Second year: Wife as primary cardholder, cancel your own card, apply for additional card
Third year: Change again: You as primary cardholder and so on.

So I *think* but not knowing exactly that you won't be able to "cash in" another welcome bonus.

Furthermore you just should think about twice the membership fee if you know have one primary cardholder and one additional for a reduced fee.

Sorry that I couldnīt give you a detailed hint due to the fact that I donīt know how much you pay for the additional cardholder and what welcome bonus would be offered.

So a bit of maths is recommended.
I have never heard that being a supplementary cardholder disqualifies you from any welcome bonus if accepted for a new AMEX issued card...
Old Apr 3, 13, 6:48 am

Programs: BA , Diners Club, El Al, YourPoints.
Originally Posted by Rome77 View Post
I have never heard that being a supplementary cardholder disqualifies you from any welcome bonus if accepted for a new AMEX issued card...
I thought the same as Rome... I was told by CS it doesn't matter if they are an additional card holder. They'll still get the bonus. Have things changed?
Old Apr 3, 13, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Is there any sort of "formal" definition of household income in the UK?

I'm in a similar situation, I'm cohabiting and I would like my partner to apply for a gold charge card to get referral and bonus.

My partner has an income but our combined one would be much higher.
Old Apr 3, 13, 7:43 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Amex's issue is whether OP is responsible for the debts of his partner. If so and OP's credit warrants a second card, maybe the partner will get it. If not and OP's partner has no income = no card.

As others note, this is the kind of thing which triggers FR's, so there's a downside too.
Old Apr 3, 13, 8:48 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
I am really not sure

Originally Posted by Sohail Iqbal View Post
I thought the same as Rome... I was told by CS it doesn't matter if they are an additional card holder. They'll still get the bonus. Have things changed?
Just have searched a bit within the website of Amex and found the following terms and conditions:

"Earn 10,000 Points

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Blue from American Express Card within the last 90 days."

Source: https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue

So I think the welcome bonus is only applicable if your wife has has a DIFFERENT and therefore not the same card. Doesnīt state anything about additional or main cardholder. So you should check whether the fact of being a "new cardholder" is enforced or not.

So I just could set up the alarm bells for you and you should specifically check for the card you would like to apply.

I am very sorry that I couldnīt give you additional info due to the fact that I have none. The only German "welcome bonus" special I know of was discontinued on its expiry date:

http://www.payback.de/pb/deals/deal/...unkte-sammeln/

Therefore sorry for any inconvenience caused but it may be worth to double check!
Old Apr 3, 13, 8:54 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by gum View Post
...found the following terms and conditions:
These terms appear to be for a card issued in the USA, but this thread discusses cards issued in the United Kingdom. In the USA holding a supplementary card on another person's account does not disqualify a person from receiving a bonus if applying for the same card.

Search this Thread