Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Amex Plat $200 travel credit?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Using the credit on a family member

Suppose I figure I won't be able to use the credit myself and want to use it by booking travel for a family member. Obviously the booking has to be made thru PTS on my plat card. Will there be any issues doing this, if I am not traveling along?

e.g. with a flight:
Probably least hassle, if price is competitive with other online sites. Only issue might be that the travel / baggage insurance will not be valid

e.g. with an FHR:
Say I book an FHR property in Vegas. Will said family member be able to check-in and use FHR amenities?

Also suppose said family member has their own plat card.

Not sure if anyone has tried this, but will report back if i do.

thanks.
Old May 8, 2013, 3:07 pm

I think you can book for others, not a problem
I'm not sure on FHR though, as there's benefits involved and they may want to see the actual AMEX Card

Even more, you can ask that person to sign the PTS form and write you down as 3rd party authorizer to book on their behalf

My bro authorized me and I booked hotel for myself using his $200 credit no problem
AMEX just wanted to see the form signed, his CC scanned front & back, called me to book over the phone
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:52 pm

Can you use the $200 travel credit towards FHR hotel bookings?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by 513263337
Can you use the $200 travel credit towards FHR hotel bookings?
Yep of course!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
And I can see the $200 credit as soon as the FHR booking was made. ^

I used my Centurion Travel rep to book it for my wife's Platinum card.^
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:55 pm

I have some hotel bookings that I would like to use PTS to book (to utilize the $200 credit), but my situation is that there is no guarantee that I'll be able to make the travel, so I want to keep the booking cancellable. Does anyone know if you cancel the booking, will the $200 credit be reversed? If so, can I get it again in the same year towards another booking?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Does anyone know if you cancel the booking, will the $200 credit be reversed?
Yes

If so, can I get it again in the same year towards another booking?
No. According to the T&C, not until the next year. But haven't tried that.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by stingray300
I wonder what this means. If I used the $200 on say a flight that I've since cancelled, but I have other trips coming up in the same year, will Amex pull back the $200 statement credit from me and not let me apply it to the next flight?
I'm wondering about the same thing? Anyone has any experience?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Not to worry. I booked a hotel last year that I legitimately needed to cancel later. They didn't retract the statement credit.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:32 pm

I'm wondering about the same thing? Anyone has any experience?
The Platinum credit does not get pulled back. Please do not abuse it, though.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:52 pm

So this effectively means $200 penalty for cancelling a "fully refundable" reservation, right?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by echino
So this effectively means $200 penalty for cancelling a "fully refundable" reservation, right?
No, I think what he means is that if you cancel a cancellable booking the credit stays in your account. I hope I understand him right.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
The Platinum credit does not get pulled back. Please do not abuse it, though.
Not trying to at all. My upcoming trip has been made very uncertain because of the recent event that immigration officers going on strike (they are holding my passport!) That's why I need to make sure my booking is cancellable and hopefully the $200 credit doesn't get pulled back.

Can someone else confirm that this is true though?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Does anyone know if you cancel the booking, will the $200 credit be reversed?
Yes
Just checked the T&C, (the link needs log-in to view), nothing is mentioned about the retraction of the $200 credit if booking is canceled. But I swear I saw it somewhere else.

$200 Annual Travel Credit

Give yourself some credit
You will have access to a $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit, compliments of your Platinum Card. Use the credit once annually towards any single travel booking of $200 or more charged to your Platinum Card through Platinum Card Travel Service. This includes flights, car rentals, hotels, vacation packages or cruises.

For new travel booked after the effective date mentioned in the enclosed letter, be sure to use Platinum Card Travel Service and ask the travel representative to redeem your credit towards your travel. The Annual Travel Credit renews every January so, starting in 2013, you will be able to take advantage of it for any new travel booked that year.

Simply call Platinum Card Travel Service at 1-800-668-9147 and mention that you would like to use your $200 Annual Travel Credit when you book – it’s that easy.
Terms & Conditions

$200 Annual Travel Credit- The $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit can only be redeemed through Platinum Card Travel Service at time of booking. Travel booking must be charged to The Platinum Card. Annual Travel Credit can only be used once per calendar year towards a single travel booking of $200 or more, and will appear on your Platinum Card billing statement as "Platinum Annual Travel Credit". If you cancel your travel booking after redeeming the Annual Travel Credit, you will not be able to use it again in the same calendar year.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:43 pm

Exactly - if you cancel, you will not be able to use it again because...... well....... you have already used it and didn't give it back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.