Canadian Amex Plat $200 travel credit?

Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by beep88
$100 for non-Platinum card holder to book something at PTS. Was booking tickets for myself and travelling companion. Each person wanted to pay own fare. Free for me, companion not platinum card holder. They asked for $100 if the fare is not charged to my account.
Ah, that's helpful. Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
So the $200 only applies when you book through AMEX? OR can you book say Air Canada and use AMEX to pay for it then they will credit you $200?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
So the $200 only applies when you book through AMEX? OR can you book say Air Canada and use AMEX to pay for it then they will credit you $200?
Only for reservations booked through Amex.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
AMEX (CAN) $200 Travel Credit x2?

Hi all,

I signed up for AMEX Plat last November, and used the $200 annual travel credit for 2014 already. Now, I have another $200 credit to be used for 2015.

My question is, if i use my 2015 travel credit now, will they charge me $200 when I cancel the card in October? I've heard rumors of AMEX charging you for double dipping on the travel credit...

Can someone clear this up for me?

TIA.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:25 am
alc

Originally Posted by jwongathon
Hi all,

I signed up for AMEX Plat last November, and used the $200 annual travel credit for 2014 already. Now, I have another $200 credit to be used for 2015.

My question is, if i use my 2015 travel credit now, will they charge me $200 when I cancel the card in October? I've heard rumors of AMEX charging you for double dipping on the travel credit...

Can someone clear this up for me?

TIA.
There are more people report getting the 2nd $200 claw back when they cancel the card after the 12 months having the card.

With Internet blogs like the one we have on FT, where everyone is telling everyone how to double or even triple dip this $200 credit per calendar year, it is only a matter of time when AMEX to change it.

My advice for anyone that asked me this question had been that used the credit as it show up on your account, but just be aware they could take the back when you cancel. As long as you set the correct expectation to yourself, then it will not be a surprise when they do take it back. Instead, it will be a bonus if they do not.

In case you have more questions, here are the 2 threads that talk about the CDN AMEX PLAT card:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...el-credit.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...amex-plat.html
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Originally Posted by alc
There are more people report getting the 2nd $200 claw back when they cancel the card after the 12 months having the card.

With Internet blogs like the one we have on FT, where everyone is telling everyone how to double or even triple dip this $200 credit per calendar year, it is only a matter of time when AMEX to change it.

My advice for anyone that asked me this question had been that used the credit as it show up on your account, but just be aware they could take the back when you cancel. As long as you set the correct expectation to yourself, then it will not be a surprise when they do take it back. Instead, it will be a bonus if they do not.

In case you have more questions, here are the 2 threads that talk about the CDN AMEX PLAT card:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...el-credit.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...amex-plat.html
Thanks, but do you think if I cancelled the card prior to the year being up, they will claw it back somehow?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:10 pm

Thanks, but do you think if I cancelled the card prior to the year being up, they will claw it back somehow?
Nobody knows, not even AMEX reps themselves I think

Recently many people said AMEX will indeed claw it back, but it's YMMV, as most things in life
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:14 pm
alc

all the claw back that happened to my friends/co-workers had been cancel during the phone conversation with the agent on the phone during the cancellation call. So, it sound like a manual process. I know you can cancel AMEX card without talking to an agent, so maybe if you can try that (if it work for the Plat card), then maybe the claw back will not happen.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:25 am

Found a pretty good rate for a car rental at Hertz using a CDP/PC (not the plat one). Is there any way to get the same rate trough the PTS so I can use my annual travel credit ?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by reivilo
Found a pretty good rate for a car rental at Hertz using a CDP/PC (not the plat one). Is there any way to get the same rate trough the PTS so I can use my annual travel credit ?
I've booked with them using a CDP that I provided (not amex) so I don't see why you shouldn't be able to apply the travel credit
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
And why should you be entitled to the annual credit if you don't keep the card for a year? You're scamming Amex, why should they not claw it back from you? Why the double standard, it's okay for you to scam Amex but not for them to recoup what they've given you under specific terms that you keep the card for a year?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
The whole car rental "deals" through the Plat are a complete joke! I spend quite a bit of time getting the exact same price code or no code for a rental I had last month in OZ.
I did get a deal but by checking the website of the location I was renting from, I got a free one car up upgrade. So I booked one car below the one I wanted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.