Cathy Pacific using Asia Miles from Am EX Help!

Old Feb 22, 13, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Cathy Pacific using Asia Miles from Am EX Help!

I would be so grateful for any feedback. I booked a Cathay Pacific flight in January FOR September 2013. I am on WAITLIST. I need to transfer my points from American Express but they cannot guarantee I will get the flight. If I transfer 100,000 points from American Express and I can't get the flight, I will lose my points unless I use them within 3 years. I hate to risk it. Nobody at Asia Miles will tell me anything. Nobody at Cathay will tell me anything. They won't tell me if I have a 5% or a 95% chance. What is your experience? Is it worth the risk. They tell me that I need to transfer points to be considered for the flight which is not what they told me in January. Thank you!
Old Feb 22, 13, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

I don't know the answer to your question, but why take the chance? Surely there are other carriers who can take you where you wish to go.

What is your desired itinerary?
Old Feb 22, 13, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your post. I've looked at all the airlines flights and I have very specific needs. This is the most ideal with the ability to get a business class ticket with miles via American Express.
Old Feb 22, 13, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It's probably best, then, that you alert a Moderator, and request that this thread be moved to the FT Cathay Pacific Asia Miles forum, since your questions really relate more to the workings of that program than to the Membership Rewards program.
Old Feb 23, 13, 1:53 am

CX doesn't know what's the chance that someone will change / cancel an existing award booking on that flight you are looking for either.

You can always just keep checking and see if additional award space has opened up.
My experience is that CX will release additional award seats at T-3 days ( if those seats are not sold, of course )
Old Feb 23, 13, 4:10 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
hate to flame/troll a rookie but calm down dude.. no need to freak...

Nobody at CX/AM will tell you anything because those seats are blocked off. Chances are, if you're on waitlist now, seven months before your flight, your waitlist will clear, since those seats are just blocked as opposed to being actually booked.

Is your Asia Mile a/c empty? if it is, they'd be cautious about holding a seat for you, and rightfully so, since you dont even carry a balance with them.

Just keep this in mind, any seat you can book off of Asia Miles, you can book off of Avios, which from time to time offer transfer bonuses.

If you're hell bent on flying CX and using AM to do so, you might as well transfer, since there's no alternative for you. If all else fails, your miles do expire in 3 years, but are you not traveling at all in the next 3 years?
Old Feb 24, 13, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
"If you're hell bent on flying CX and using AM to do so, you might as well transfer, since there's no alternative for you. If all else fails, your miles do expire in 3 years, but are you not traveling at all in the next 3 years?"

I agreed too. But, you only can (or will) travel on CX and you need to use award miles (from Amex); then, you should take the chance.

If not, pick another airline or change your award travel date/routing to a different one that has CX awards...

Search this Thread