Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion [IDC/ICC] membership fee increase

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, IHG Pl, Sirius G,Bonvoy LTG,Melia Pl,Shangri-La Diam,UA*G,Emirates G,Virgin Atl. G,Hertz PC
Centurion [IDC/ICC] membership fee increase

I've just been advised that from tomorrow the Amex Centurion membership fee will increase from 2800 $/€ to 4000 $/€ with a 4000 $/€ one time joining fee without real change in benefits. Is it still worthwhile? Any comments?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Are you referring to the International Dollar/Euro Cards or to cards issued in Belgium, or to...?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diam, IHG Pl, Sirius G,Bonvoy LTG,Melia Pl,Shangri-La Diam,UA*G,Emirates G,Virgin Atl. G,Hertz PC
There is no Belgium card... yes it is for the international Dollar/Euro card!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

International Amex Centurion membership fee increase

I received an e-mail from Amex Centurion([email protected]) with the new Centurion brochure today advising me that the membership fee is increasing from 2800 $/€ to 4000 $/€ with one-time joining fee of 4000 $/€ without real change in benefit. Is it still worthwhile?
Unfortunately I cannot insert an attachment, so I just copy/pasted the relevant part:
US Dollar (US$) Euro (€)
One–time Joining Fee US$4,000 €4,000
Annual Cardmembership Fee US$4,000 €4,000
Supplementary Cards Included 20 20
Membership Rewards Annual Fee Complimentary Complimentary
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Interesting. This will probably result in quite a few IDC/IEC Cent cancellations. That's at least what happened in Switzerland and France when the fee for the regular Cent was increased in those countries. (Anecdotal evidence only, but given that official Cent membership figures are very hard to come by it is better than nothing.)

In terms of marketing Amex did a very poor job IMO, they should at least have coupled the big fee increase with a valuable new benefit, but that wasn't the case as the CX DM benefit was only introduced at a later stage, not in all countries (think Switzerland) and for a one-year period only (even in those countries where it was recently renewed it's not clearly advertised as a permanent benefit)

Last edited by JohnRain; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:14 am
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: VS Gold, Delta Platinum, Amex Centurion, Sixt Platinum
If I remember correctly, my fee used to be $1000 > $2800 and now it's moving to $4000 !

Well, that's going to be an interesting call in April when I renew. Living in the US the Cathay and even Hertz Presidents level isn't available to me so they'd better announce some great deal with Delta or something I can use or it's goodbye after 15 years with Amex and 10 with the Centurion.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, OneWorld Emerlad (CX)
I emailed last week centurion team as I read here about the price increase, my renewal is on first week of March.- this is only for new customers. Check it.

I refer to your question regarding the annual membership fee increase for the Centurion card.

Effective 1/2/2013, all new acquisitions will be charged $/€ 4000 annual fee. We will also be adding a one-time joining fee of $/€ 4000 to all newly acquired members. These changes will bring the total fee for the first year to €/$ 8,000.
Existing members will continue to renew at the old price of €/$ 2,800 with no change in servicing and benefits.

I trust this answers your question

Kind regards

[Moderator edit]

Last edited by mia; Feb 18, 2013 at 5:00 pm Reason: Please do not post the names of American Express employees
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyberaver
I emailed last week centurion team as I read here about the price increase, my renewal is on first week of March.- this is only for new customers. Check it.

I refer to your question regarding the annual membership fee increase for the Centurion card.

Effective 1/2/2013, all new acquisitions will be charged $/€ 4000 annual fee. We will also be adding a one-time joining fee of $/€ 4000 to all newly acquired members. These changes will bring the total fee for the first year to €/$ 8,000.
Existing members will continue to renew at the old price of €/$ 2,800 with no change in servicing and benefits.

I trust this answers your question

Kind regards

[Moderator edit]
Is this also the case for the International Centurion (in €?) card. I was told by the marketing executive in London that the fee would increase from 2800 to 4000€ at the next renewal. Hopefully I misunderstood and the increase is only for new members...
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, OneWorld Emerlad (CX)
I understand that was only for new members... not for current.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: VS Gold, Delta Platinum, Amex Centurion, Sixt Platinum
Just got my info in the mail. A fancy black foam box with not a lot inside. Explaining that my supplementary card holder will now get the Titanium card (a $1400 fee previously they say), all supplementary holders will now get Priority Pass (We can get 19....maybe this could offset the crazy $4000 fee). No new airline partners....I've got the dollar card as I live in the US - if they can't give me and Mrs Stickskier Delta Platinum then it maybe goodbye Centurion after 10+ years of 6 figure annual spending. It just doesn't stack up!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by stickskier
Just got my info in the mail. A fancy black foam box with not a lot inside. Explaining that my supplementary card holder will now get the Titanium card (a $1400 fee previously they say), all supplementary holders will now get Priority Pass (We can get 19....maybe this could offset the crazy $4000 fee). No new airline partners....I've got the dollar card as I live in the US - if they can't give me and Mrs Stickskier Delta Platinum then it maybe goodbye Centurion after 10+ years of 6 figure annual spending. It just doesn't stack up!
Priority Passes for every additional cards you have?? that would be a really GREAT thing to add in Argentine Centurion Program... along with many other benefits we don't get here, and yes.. 6 figure annual spending for years as well..
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stickskier
Slightly OT, but how do you manage to get an IDC card, being in the US? I am based outside of the US and have the IEC (not IDC); supplemental card applications for my US resident parents were rejected on the basis that US residents are not permitted to hold any ICC products, even as supplemental cardholders on a EUR-denominated product (which clearly do not compete directly with any of the Amex US products).
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Latest I heard from AMEX is that sometime within the next 60 days the current IDC/IEC card holders who have been grandfathered at the prevailing USD/EUR 2,800 rate will all now have their membership raised to $/EUR 4,000. At that time there will be a prorata refund of the old fee with the full calculation of the new charge--i.e. if the card already renewed in the past few months, supposedly no grace period at the current rate until the next renewal. (That does sound a bit heavy handed after the company's most loyal cardmembers paid their membership fees in good faith.) Also heard the number of additional PP cards are not definitive yet--whether for all additional cardholders on the account or only a limited number and that any additional PP cards over and above the primary and supplementary cardholder would not be issued until after the fee increase. It also appears the CX Diamond status will disappear in 2014 along with the other AMEX card markets. For the moment, it seems the only additional benefit for this next massive increase in the annual fee is simply having a personal account executive with a direct dial number. (Oh, and the fact that the secondary cardholder will now receive a titanium card, if you view that as a benefit.) If you have an IDC/IEC Cent and haven't heard about this, call the person who is named in the recent package you received about benefits. He/she will be more informative than if you call the general number on your card.

Last edited by LAXRuss; Dec 19, 2013 at 1:26 pm
Old Dec 19, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
Just received my "enhanced benefits" box and enclosed letter.
In a nutshell, increased annual fee from $2800 to $4000 without any substantive addition of benefits (except for a "personal manager" which I don't want). No mention about losing access to AA Admiral's Clubs or Virgin Atlantic Gold or Cathay MP Diamond (each of which I will sorely miss). Amex really seem hell bent on self-destructing any remnants of real value that Centurion membership used to provide.

Here is a copy of the text of the letter:

16th December 2013

Dear Dr. Alem do Horizonte,

I am delighted to tell you about some significant enhancements we have made to your Centurion membership.

First of all, we have appointed XXXXXXXX as your Personal Manager. [Continues for a long paragraph describing my new Personal Manager's background in specific detail.]

XXXXXX will also keep a close eye on your account to ensure everything runs smoothly, whether you're at home or abroad. XXXXX’s direct phone line, email address and BlackBerry details are all on the enclosed card.

We have also added several new privileges to your Centurion membership:

• Your Primary Supplementary Cardmember will now get their own hand-crafted Centurion Card in titanium, normally priced at $1,400
• AU Supplementary Cardmembers will now get Priority Pass membership', so they too can get access to Priority Pass Lounges in over 600 airports worldwide
• You now have access to 30 'By Invitation' lounges around the world', so you could enjoy priority treatment and total privacy when you travel
• Centurion Wellness Programme offering some of the world's most exclusive and luxurious wellbeing and spa experiences

You will, of course, continue to receive all the other benefits and privileges that Centurion membership has to offer, including exclusive travel, events and the award-winning Membership Rewards programme.

With these enhanced benefits and services, your Centurion membership will be $4,000. XXXXXX will call you the next few days to introduce himself and answer any queries you may have. If there's anything he can do for you in the meantime, please give him a call. He will be delighted to help.

Yours Sincerely,
Old Dec 19, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte
...No mention about losing access to AA Admiral's Clubs or Virgin Atlantic Gold or Cathay MP Diamond (each of which I will sorely miss). Amex really seem hell bent on self-destructing any remnants of real value that Centurion membership used to provide.
So far, I haven't heard any mention that Virgin Gold status is disappearing for IDC/IEC. Has anyone else heard specifically to the contrary? My guess is that it is disappearing in the US Cent Card market because the status is basically duplicative with the DL Platinum status that they receive--i.e. DL Plats receive clubhouse access and upper class check in. Virgin Gold remains useful for IDC/IEC in the absence of DL status as it allows the user now also to receive DL Sky Priority benefits with check-in, free luggage , priority security and boarding plus DL lounge access on international itineraries. Of course it does not provide the access to DL Economy Comfort seating, DL complimentary upgrades and Sky Team Elite Plus status which DL Plats receive.

Last edited by mia; Dec 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm Reason: Prune quotation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.