FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Need help using my Amex MR, flight from SFO-Rome-KBP then KBP-SFO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1436080-need-help-using-my-amex-mr-flight-sfo-rome-kbp-then-kbp-sfo.html)

Redoctane Feb 7, 2013 12:44 am

Need help using my Amex MR, flight from SFO-Rome-KBP then KBP-SFO

Hello guys whats the best way to use my points to make a trip from SFO-Rome-KBP then from KBP to SFO, somebody said ANA is the best out of the Amex airline partners, or Aeroplan, any help would be greatly appreciated also I am planning on staying 5-7 days in italy any recomendations on which card I should open for that? starwood? hilton hhonors? any help would be appreciated thanks guys!

benzemalyonnais Feb 7, 2013 5:34 am

Aeroflot is a Delta partner and a SFO-SVO-FCO, KBP-SVO-SFO redemption would work, I think.

ANA is also fine, but there would be some fees involved that might make you regret the redemption.

I'm not going to recommend a card for hotels unless this is a big dream trip, as most of the redemption rates are a bit inflated for Italian properties across the board.

FederalFlyer Feb 7, 2013 6:14 am

Are you wanting to build a stopover in Rome? I think Delta may be a good option, IF you can find availability. Definitely do a search before transferring MR to Delta. But, you can fly SFO-FCO (DL/Alitalia/KLM/AF) stop in Rome, then fly FCO-KBP (Alitalia) and KBP-SFO (DL/KLM).

Although to get a better answer, you'll want to tell us how many points you have, when you want to travel, what class of travel (First, Business, Coach), and how many are traveling.

Redoctane Feb 8, 2013 1:48 am

Hi Guys thank you very much for the great suggestions, I currently have 105k in MR and about 250k UR I am trying to get 2 tickets for adults and 1 child in lap seat, hopefully business class tickets, I am trying to book for this summer but might switch it up for next summer if I wount be able to find any flights with points down there, is it possible to order 1 ticket with MR and one with UR? is it worth it to risky?

charlesfromage Feb 8, 2013 9:23 am

The main problem you would have is that Membership Rewards and Ultimate Rewards have nearly completely different partners. Your best best for MR is probably Delta as others have mentioned. But UR is probably going to be United or BA (Korean is also a Skyteam UR partner, but their redemption is quite complicated). So the two of you might end up on different airlines if you tried to split your points that way.

One option might be to get two one-way awards through UR and then two one-way return awards through MR for example. United would probably have pretty decent options to FCO in business and they don't have a lot of fuel surcharges (that's where BA tends to get you).

Unfortunately, Delta doesn't really allow one-way awards so you're a bit out of luck there. You might want to look at other MR partners for the return. For example, if you could find a cheap ticket from KBP to LHR, you could fly Virgin Atlantic back to SFO which is great.

mia Feb 8, 2013 9:50 am

Originally Posted by charlesfromage (Post 20209802)
...fuel surcharges (that's where BA tends to get you)....if you could find a cheap ticket from KBP to LHR, you could fly Virgin Atlantic back to SFO which is great.

Virgin Atlantic's fuel surcharges are substantially the same as British Airways'.

Redoctane Feb 8, 2013 1:04 pm

How about Aeroplan anybody have any experience with them? is it hard to book something with them?