Financial Review with CVS 1K purchases

Old Jan 28, 13, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Financial Review with CVS 1K purchases

Searched for a master FR thread but couldn't find it, or this question addressed...
If asked by amex about multiple CVS purchases of 1007 what's the best course of action?
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:25 am

That's a good question. "I'm very very sick" does not sound like a good answer.
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:25 am

The truth?
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:26 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Expensive prescriptions for HIV?

Is this a hypothetical or did you really get an FR? What'd they ask, specifically?
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
Expensive prescriptions for HIV?

Is this a hypothetical or did you really get an FR? What'd they ask, specifically?
Someone is nervous. Lol
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:30 am

I got FR'd before I even had a chance to start growing beans. Jerks must've read my mind.
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:31 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
My dad has been buying 1K at the time with his AMEX, while mixing it in with other purchases. Last week the first VR went thru, the second was declined and he left CVS with only one card. Within the hour he received a phone call and email from the fraud department. He told them it was his charge and no more problems. He has since purchased 2 more cards with no issue.

However, he has nothing to hide/fear in a FR but if someone did, it might be better to be more conservative.
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by noturbizniss View Post
Searched for a master FR thread but couldn't find it, or this question addressed...
If asked by amex about multiple CVS purchases of 1007 what's the best course of action?
Why not just tell them you were buying multiple gift cards for your family.
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Called today for retention bonus on wifes PRG and got transferred to FR. Shes gotta call back later. Just got Biz PRG last week which is apparently notorious for causing FR.
They haven't asked anything yet, but couple years ago I got FR'd while using mint and AP and they cut my limits (temporarily) but did say if i purchased at mint or AP again they'd kill my cards (not my wifes).
I'll be fine with my personal income - no reported business income as its ebay odds and ends.
I've been telling amex when they called to verify charges that it's gift cards to give to family and friends, but not sure if FR will buy or like that. Have a feeling telling them VR is not the solution...
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aureo11 View Post
Why not just tell them you were buying multiple gift cards for your family.
That's what i've been telling fraud depts at amex and chase when they called. I'll probly go with that unless anyone has better ideas...\

BTW Thanks for all the lightning quick responses guys. I forgot how awesome FT is!
Old Jan 28, 13, 11:41 am

Programs: UA,CO,SPG
Your buying Hep B antivirals...
Old Jan 28, 13, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt whatever the call it, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat but still earning millions of points
BEST Course of action....Stop it and buy something with it everytime to vary amounts and quit loading 1k and do 500 plus 485 ect to change amounts and never have two the same again. Pretty simple ya know they sell milk, pop, bread, snacks and drugs you must need something
Old Jan 28, 13, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

i use the cards for other purchases as well. I was thinking multiple purchases of nearly the same price (500/1,000 + or - $10) would stand out as more.
Given that i am where I am do i just go the gift card route?
Old Jan 28, 13, 12:11 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Just buck up and tell them the truth just like any Washington politician would - that drug resistant disease you caught in Bangkok requires alot of shots, doctor's visits and expensive medications.

Old Jan 28, 13, 12:29 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread moved to the American Express Membership Rewards forum. The primary thread for Financial Review discussions is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-merged.html

Search this Thread