FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX Business Gold Rewards 75k (Expired) 10k/4 months (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1430275-amex-business-gold-rewards-75k-expired-10k-4-months.html)

kaisersrsic Jan 23, 2013 10:37 am

Does anyone think that using this card to make a single $10K+ federal income tax payment would create a problem?

terpfan101 Jan 23, 2013 11:03 am

Just to verify, where it asks for EIN, one should put their SSN if they are a sole proprietor with no EIN? On Chase apps, they say to use your SSN but this box has the two digit box followed by one for 7 digits. SSNs don't follow that format.

clockhand Jan 23, 2013 11:10 am

thanks for the great offer. debating because of $10k spending.

have about $10k to meet in the next 2 months already......

gk17 Jan 23, 2013 11:18 am

Originally Posted by jpripcord (Post 20104400)
All of the online links i found kept erroring out when I tried signing up, so I called and did that application over the phone.

The woman who read me the terms and conditions made an explicit statement about not purchasing "reloadable" cards.

Seems like they are catching onto the whole vanilla deal, and explicitly prohibiting it.

Anyone else notice that specific language?

I can't even buy reloadable VR cards here but I assume it's ok for gift cards?

I had the same issue applying online yesterday. It kept giving an error when I tried to submit the app and said to call. I will try again today and just call in if anything. Even the option that says are you a current cardmember gives the same message. I have a feeling this will require calling them again when I get the card to link my accounts together.

mia Jan 23, 2013 11:28 am

Originally Posted by jpripcord (Post 20104400)
The woman who read me the terms and conditions made an explicit statement about not purchasing "reloadable" cards.

Yes, this is in the terms displayed as part of the application:

Eligible purchases are purchases of goods and services minus returns and other credits, and do not include fees or interest charges, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of reloadable pre-paid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents.

friedablass Jan 23, 2013 11:43 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101 (Post 20108124)
Just to verify, where it asks for EIN, one should put their SSN if they are a sole proprietor with no EIN? On Chase apps, they say to use your SSN but this box has the two digit box followed by one for 7 digits. SSNs don't follow that format.

Short answer - yes.

Both EIN and SSN are 9 digits so you would put your social in - first 2 digits followed by the other 7 digits.

terpfan101 Jan 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 20108309)
Yes, this is in the terms displayed as part of the application:

I don't know how they would know if you purchased gift cards, let alone prepaid cards. I guess if you used Bluebird exclusively they'd catch on. Anyone have issues using AMEX biz cards to buy prepaid Visa gift cards to meet minimum spend?

gk17 Jan 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Has anyone gotten approval via the website? Been trying multiple times without success. Kept telling me there's some issue and to call to apply. Made the call today and was instantly approved. Gave the rep all my details. Probably took around 10 minutes.

savekenny Jan 23, 2013 5:55 pm

did you have a tax id? i was approved online within seconds.

Originally Posted by gk17 (Post 20110354)
Has anyone gotten approval via the website? Been trying multiple times without success. Kept telling me there's some issue and to call to apply. Made the call today and was instantly approved. Gave the rep all my details. Probably took around 10 minutes.

TimesTwo Jan 23, 2013 7:53 pm

FYI: like some others have reported, I'm getting "systems not responding". I can get the app up, but when I try to fill anything out, I get an error. I'll try again tomorrow and if it doesn't work, I guess I'll just call and apply over the phone. For anyone who has done that, did you give them the offer details and/ or ID before applying? Thanks.

ddallas Jan 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101 (Post 20108761)
Anyone have issues using AMEX biz cards to buy prepaid Visa gift cards to meet minimum spend?

No problem.

MightyTravels Jan 23, 2013 8:45 pm

I did two applications today (for 2 real businesses) -both were instantly approved. Now on to $20k spend in 3 months!

savekenny Jan 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by highman123 (Post 20111826)
I did two applications today (for 2 real businesses) -both were instantly approved. Now on to $20k spend in 3 months!

Four months!

forextrader Jan 24, 2013 3:50 am

Eligible purchases are purchases of goods and services minus returns and other credits, and do not include fees or interest charges, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of reloadable pre-paid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents.

Out of curiousity I checked the current T+C of the SPG Business card AND the SPG Personal card. The EXACT phrasing is used.

I did not check other AMEX cards, but most likely this is now a standard AMEX T+C - the question is - will this be enforced?

RDUflyer2 Jan 24, 2013 8:58 am

Tried to apply last night at midnight and system down.
Tried again at 10:55 am today and system down.

Anyone else having those same issues? Don't think it is browser related.