FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX Business Gold Rewards 75k (Expired) 10k/4 months (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1430275-amex-business-gold-rewards-75k-expired-10k-4-months.html)

farwest101 Jan 22, 2013 1:14 am

Originally Posted by aegt123 (Post 20098136)
Got Amex Business Gold last time they had $50K in $5K spend. Got FR within weeks. Too many CVS VR charges. Supplied tax info..was allowed to keep my SPG, Amex Hilton and Gold card, but the CLs were reduced quite a lot.

Care to give us how much of that $5K spend was at CVS so we can judge relative scale of spend that might draw the Mandarin's attention?

DC777Fan Jan 22, 2013 1:39 am

My guess is the reason people are getting FR's is because they're lying about having a business in order to apply for a credit card. I'm sure Amex doesn't appreciate people lying on their applications...

If you want to apply for business cards, I would think it makes tons of since to "open up an eBay/Amazon business," get a basic business license from your county office building (~$20 and 30 minutes), get an LLC (~$50 and 10 minutes) with your state corporation commission and then get a EIN from the IRS (free as far as I remember). That will probably take a huge chunk out of your chances for getting FR'd.

Granted, Amex could be a lot clearer about the qualifications to apply for said card, but I think outside the "points game," most people would never apply for a business card unless they had a business of some sort...

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 20098267)
Care to give us how much of that $5K spend was at CVS so we can judge relative scale of spend that might draw the Mandarin's attention?

As I said, I doubt it had much to do with CVS and more to do with the overall spend level vs previous spend level and the fact that they suspected the business did not exist.

gloreglabert Jan 22, 2013 1:54 am

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 20098316)
My guess is the reason people are getting FR's is because they're lying about having a business in order to apply for a credit card. I'm sure Amex doesn't appreciate people lying on their applications...

If you want to apply for business cards, I would think it makes tons of since to "open up an eBay/Amazon business," get a basic business license from your county office building (~$20 and 30 minutes), get an LLC (~$50 and 10 minutes) with your state corporation commission and then get a EIN from the IRS (free as far as I remember). That will probably take a huge chunk out of your chances for getting FR'd.

None of those things are likely to decrease your chance of getting FR'd...but what they will do is drastically increase your chances of PASSING a FR, which is more important. Amex's version of A/A (a FR) is far preferable to Chase's (sudden and complete shutdown) because even if you hit one of the tripwires, you'll survive if all your info is in order.

My FR occurred because I applied for 3 Amex cards all at once and got approved for them all. FR occurred a few weeks later without any weird spending or anything; I wasn't particularly surprised because I knew the risks, and similarly knew that I could back up everything on my applications in the event of a FR. No way I would've tried that stunt with Chase.

MSYnola Jan 22, 2013 7:37 am

It sounds like you are OK to survive an FR as long as you don't lie about your income on your application. Is this right?

travelisfree Jan 22, 2013 7:43 am

So it say until terminate or before jan 28th... Or something like that, so I guess we may have the link until the 28th

ferrari_fan Jan 22, 2013 7:48 am

A trap it is. :p

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/.../Atrapitis.gif

bubb1 Jan 22, 2013 7:55 am

Not sure there is anything particularly different about the business gold other than that it is a business card and perhaps the first issued by Amex for a particular person. Combine that with some of the creative spend methods needed for some to reach 10k and perhaps you could run into trouble.

In other words, if you're worried about FR, don't get this card unless you can spend a substantial portion of the target in the normal course of things to be safe.

drdrew450 Jan 22, 2013 9:20 am

I have 3 personal credit cards with amex. One is old (amex blue from 06') and I would not care if it was closed to get this card. The other two(amex spg and amex hilton) were opened in november, about two weeks apart, both were instant appoval. I have applied for at least 10 cards in the past year and I have not been following the apporama guidelines, I have done them here and there.

You think I should wait on this deal or go for it, and close the 1 amex card i don’t use if I have to.

The last few cards I had to close accounts or move credit limits around. Was declined for the US bank flex card cause they saw too many cc pulls. Chase and Barclays listened to my reconsiderations.

If amex is like chase I would have no problem closing a card or moving credit.

Last credit card from chase said my credit score is 750.

ddallas Jan 22, 2013 9:46 am

Originally Posted by drdrew450 (Post 20100176)
I have 3 personal credit cards with amex. One is old (amex blue from 06') and I would not care if it was closed to get this card. The other two(amex spg and amex hilton) were opened in november, about two weeks apart, both were instant appoval. I have applied for at least 10 cards in the past year and I have not been following the apporama guidelines, I have done them here and there.

This is a charge card so you won't have to close any of your revolvers or move credit. Since you just got two others in November that might increase your chance of getting FR.

DC777Fan Jan 22, 2013 9:51 am

Originally Posted by bubb1 (Post 20099561)
In other words, if you're worried about FR, don't get this card unless you can spend a substantial portion of the target in the normal course of things to be safe.

And, IMO, that you can prove the business income you listed on your application.

UserMark Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am

Very nice of them to require the application by Jan 28, not approval like previously.

g8trgr8t Jan 22, 2013 10:30 am

I was targeted with this offer about 9 months after I had cancelled the same business gold card. Got the card, met the spending, and then was told that it had been less than 12 months since previous card was cancelled so no bonus. Pending appeal right now. They mailed me the application with a pre-approval number and then want to tell me I don't qualify.

jeckll Jan 22, 2013 10:34 am

Thinking about applying for this card, but worried about FR.
What exactly would it entail? If I list as sole proprietorship, is my 2012 tax return info showing $XX,XXX of PERSONAL (wage) income enough to pass? Should I say biz income = my personal income? Or am I going to fail FR unless I can show biz income totally separate from personal income?

oneworld82 Jan 22, 2013 10:45 am

Where can 75k get me in SQ first class?

mia Jan 22, 2013 11:01 am

Originally Posted by oneworld82 (Post 20100788)
Where can 75k get me in SQ first class?

You would have at least 85,000 points because the $10,000 spend would generate a minimum of one point per dollar.

SQ award chart here:

http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsc...wardCharts.pdf

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/pp...eemMiles_SQMI/