Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by mia
I suspect you misread mbones post.
Yeah, I'm not sure where you got that I didn't like the airline benefit as I have already used that on my personal card for the year.

My questions were really whether or not the rest of the benefits would stack. I can get myself and a guest in on my personal card. Can I let someone else and a guest use the business version if I have both or am I (as the cardholder) required to be one of the people for each card. My guess is having duplicate cards diminishes the value of each.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by mbones
Yeah, I'm not sure where you got that I didn't like the airline benefit as I have already used that on my personal card for the year.

My questions were really whether or not the rest of the benefits would stack. I can get myself and a guest in on my personal card. Can I let someone else and a guest use the business version if I have both or am I (as the cardholder) required to be one of the people for each card. My guess is having duplicate cards diminishes the value of each.
D'oh - don't FT before coffee. Sorry. Thought your post said "sucks", not "stacks".
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
I've got a gold card right now. If I open a Mercedes Benz and close the gold will I still keep all my membership rewards points or is there a chance I could lose them?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by BlueEyedDevil
I've got a gold card right now. If I open a Mercedes Benz and close the gold will I still keep all my membership rewards points or is there a chance I could lose them?
u will keep the points.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by gv111
u will keep the points.
Thanks!

Looks like I'll close the gold after my next billing cycle and wait for a good personal platinum offer after 90 days.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:50 pm

quick follow up question. I have a regular plat now and just applied for MB plat. Will MB plat create a new MR account? Could those of you who had both post your experience in terms of what happened with the MR account? Did you guys cancel regular plat, ask them to merge the 2 MR accounts? Or was it just 1 MR account to begin with so you simply just cancelled the regular plat?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by goldfish2
quick follow up question. I have a regular plat now and just applied for MB plat. Will MB plat create a new MR account? Could those of you who had both post your experience in terms of what happened with the MR account? Did you guys cancel regular plat, ask them to merge the 2 MR accounts? Or was it just 1 MR account to begin with so you simply just cancelled the regular plat?
It is 1 MR account tied to you as a customer and not to your individual cards. Two MR cards is still one MR account for you and as long as you have at least 1 MR compatible card open you are fine and you can cancel the others.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by BlueEyedDevil:20623156
Originally Posted by gv111
u will keep the points.
Thanks!

Looks like I'll close the gold after my next billing cycle and wait for a good personal platinum offer after 90 days.
WHOA!
You will keep the points if you get the MB or personal platinum and then close the gold...not if you close the gold and "wait".
MR points are lost if there's no corresponding Amex card open, I believe.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Hi everyone, thanks for all the great information in this thread. I am actually about to do my quarterly churn and would like to run through my strategy with all of you to see if there's any problem or concern.

Some background, I currently have:

Personal Gold Rewards
Business Gold Rewards
Close my Personal Platinum Rewards in 10/2012

I missed the Platinum benefits so now would like to apply for the Platinum Mercedes Rewards. Based on previous posts, there should not be any problem since the Mercedes card has no conflict with the above cards. Is that right?

My follow-up question is, in fact I was denied bonus in 2/2013 for the Personal Gold Rewards since I last closed one in 10/2012 (same time when I closed the Platinum), how long do I have to wait to apply for the Personal Gold Rewards again? One year from 2/2013 or 10/2012? I assume 2/2013 since even though I did not get the bonus, I did activate and used the card (stupid me), is that right?

Lastly, I saw a few posts about the Platinum Business Rewards, just wonder if I have the Gold Business Rewards now, can I get sign-up bonus on the Platinum Business Rewards? Are they they same or different products?

Thanks very much for any help or comment. Take care and enjoy your reward points
Old Apr 26, 2013, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by mia
Discussion of the Mercedes credit card ($95 annual fee) has been transferred to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...and-cards.html
MIA

Has anyone who has been churning been denied because of "NEW" FIRST SENTENCE in T/C ON AMEX cards????????

If you are identified as a current American Express® Cardmember, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card or Platinum Card® account within the last 90 days.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 8:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SPLP007
... "NEW" FIRST SENTENCE in T/C ON AMEX
I do not see this language on the terms for either the Mercedes Platinum charge card or the Mercedes credit card. Where do you see it?

Mercedes Platinum charge card terms does exclude current regular Platinum card holders, as previously reported:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months. You can earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points when you charge $3,000 of eligible purchases on a Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Mercedes Benz in your first 3 months of Card membership. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 – 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached. Eligible purchases are purchases of goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account. Additional Card members are not eligible.
Mercedes credit card terms:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months. You can earn 10,000 Membership Rewards® points when you charge $1,000 of eligible purchases on a Mercedes-Benz Credit Card from American Express in your first 3 months of Card membership Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached. Eligible purchases are purchases of goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. This offer is not valid for existing Mercedes Benz Card members. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account. Additional card members are not eligible.
https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...platinum=16598
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mia
I do not see this language on the terms for either the Mercedes Platinum charge card or the Mercedes credit card. Where do you see it?

Mercedes Platinum charge card terms does exclude current regular Platinum card holders, as previously reported:

Mercedes credit card terms:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...platinum=16598
Hi Mea
Please go to the amex web site and look at t/c ,if you look on bloggers sites they have not been updated

amex now can refuse for almost any reason with this new sentence -- if you churn they can now reject ---- your thoughts
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
Hi Mea
Please go to the amex web site and look at t/c ,if you look on bloggers sites they have not been updated

amex now can refuse for almost any reason with this new sentence -- if you churn they can now reject ---- your thoughts
Mia

try this amex link,to see t/c i posted

https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...ard/25330-10-0
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I do see the new sentence on the main americanexpress.com site, including the Mercedes credit card. The Mercedes charge card does not appear on that site, and that sentence does not appear on either card if you start at the Mercedes-Benz Financial Services site. (The MBFS site also leads to a better bonus on the credit card, 10,000 vs 5,000 points.)

The wording of the sentence would give American Express flexibility to deny a bonus to anyone who currently has any card account, but I doubt that is their intention. We will need to accumulate reports based on actual experiences to see how the policy is implemented.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
I do see the new sentence on the main americanexpress.com site, including the Mercedes credit card. The Mercedes charge card does not appear on that site, and that sentence does not appear on either card if you start at the Mercedes-Benz Financial Services site. (The MBFS site also leads to a better bonus on the credit card, 10,000 vs 5,000 points.)

The wording of the sentence would give American Express flexibility to deny a bonus to anyone who currently has any card account, but I doubt that is their intention--- not the intent? -- what is the intent?. We will need to accumulate reports based on actual experiences to see how the policy is implemented.
agree and that target --is us

I would think those that get bonus MB cancel card -- get bonus biz plat cancel -- try to get bonus 3rd time on personal plat "will get denied "-- u can pick the order -------- I blv it is now on all MR cards -- not sure if on Delta -Starwood etc

we do know the 2013 Amexis not the benevolent amex of years past -- may it rest in peace --LOL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.