Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by bobby21
Did you get the 200 airline credit on oth plats?
Yes, spent $200 in several GC purchases on original, got new MB card, bought more GCs, and then canceled original plat. No problems.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Applying for Mercedes platinum amex, but do not have a mercedes...am i crazy? lol

Hello everyone,

I currently have a PRG, but am not elligible for an upgrade to the plt amex just yet.

I saw the offer for the MB plat amex...50k after $1000 spend! I do not even drive a MB insted a BMW, but I may apply for the card just for the points.

Is this a little extreme / points obsessed? I imagine others have done this, but im not sure.

Is it also possible to have 2 platinum cards open? i.e. a regular plat and the MB plat.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by alrvd83
Hello everyone,

I currently have a PRG, but am not elligible for an upgrade to the plt amex just yet.

I saw the offer for the MB plat amex...50k after $1000 spend! I do not even drive a MB insted a BMW, but I may apply for the card just for the points.

Is this a little extreme / points obsessed? I imagine others have done this, but im not sure.

Is it also possible to have 2 platinum cards open? i.e. a regular plat and the MB plat.
This is absolutely possible, all three platinums are considered separate products (Per, MB, Biz).

As far as extreme? $900 for a credit pull ain't too bad! You definitely will not be alone
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Simpleton
This is absolutely possible, all three platinums are considered separate products (Per, MB, Biz).

As far as extreme? $900 for a credit pull ain't too bad! You definitely will not be alone
lol...:sigh: of relief. How did you calculate the $900?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by alrvd83
Hello everyone,

I'm about to give it a try as well. This thread confirms that Plat, MB Plat and Biz Plat are all separate products in separate families.

I drive a Subaru, but Amex doesn't ask.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I'm about to give it a try as well. This thread confirms that Plat, MB Plat and Biz Plat are all separate products in separate families.

I drive a Subaru, but Amex doesn't ask.
Sounds good! I applied earlier and got a pending... I currently have an amex blue, SPG, PRG and a corporate amex. My account is in good standing and my credit scrore is quite good.

Ill call them tomorrow and see whats up.

I plan to cancel the PRG and replace it with the MB plat...that 50k bonus after $1000 spend is a win for sure.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
I applied for the MB card last thursday around 11:00AM Pacific time. I had the card in my hands by 9:00AM the next day! Never seen a card come that fast. It took Citi 6 weeks to get me an AA Visa once!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone applied for regular plat after MB (or while holding it)? I know mb after regular works fine but I haven't seen any data points for the reverse...
Any issues with qualifying for bonus in that case?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:43 pm

I have a business gold now. Also, I cancelled my last amex plat more than a year back. Just got the MB plat and 50k bonus posted fine. Now can I get the amex plat and business plat? Or will having the business gold disqualify me from the amex plat and/or business plat bonuses?

What should be my strategy going forward? Should I get rid of the business gold to reset the 12 month clock?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the Mercedes credit card ($95 annual fee) has been transferred to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...and-cards.html
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:00 pm

I've never had an Amex before and was sent an offer for 100K points for a personal Amex Platinum in February. After doing some research I decided that the benefits (points, $400 airline credit, lounges, global entry) made it worth it for me for at least a single year.

After some more research I learned about switching between the personal, business and mb card to continue getting bonuses. I was planning to do this every 8-12 months to make sure I had at least one card open for benefits and maintaining points as I waited for each card to recycle it's year waiting period to be eligible for bonuses.

After the first month I had met the spending requirement and received the points. A week later I got a 100K offer for a business card. This is a bit early in the process and I'm not sure it is a good idea to sign up early. It's only two months into my personal card membership so I know most of the benefits would be overlapped between the two cards so had a few questions for some of the more experienced members.

• How often do people receive these offers? If I ignore it now is it likely I'll get it near the end of the year?
  • I assume the airline fee refund benefit stacks, but what about the others? Can I get additional travellers into lounges, a different person's name on the priority pass or a different person a refundable global entry?
  • Anything else I should consider beyond going for it for the additional 100K miles?

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Have a personal Plat and just got approved for the MB Plat.

My goal is to always have some version of the Plat card for lounge access. Are the cards all distinct so I can rotate between the Plat Personal, Plat Biz and MB Plat every year so I would just have the same card again only every three years? A happy co-incidence of this strategy (if it works) is that I would also be able to take advantage of two $200 bonuses thus paying only $50/$75 for the card.

Cheers,
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by mbones
I've never had an Amex before and was sent an offer for 100K points for a personal Amex Platinum in February. After doing some research I decided that the benefits (points, $400 airline credit, lounges, global entry) made it worth it for me for at least a single year.

After some more research I learned about switching between the personal, business and mb card to continue getting bonuses. I was planning to do this every 8-12 months to make sure I had at least one card open for benefits and maintaining points as I waited for each card to recycle it's year waiting period to be eligible for bonuses.

After the first month I had met the spending requirement and received the points. A week later I got a 100K offer for a business card. This is a bit early in the process and I'm not sure it is a good idea to sign up early. It's only two months into my personal card membership so I know most of the benefits would be overlapped between the two cards so had a few questions for some of the more experienced members.

• How often do people receive these offers? If I ignore it now is it likely I'll get it near the end of the year?
  • I assume the airline fee refund benefit stacks, but what about the others? Can I get additional travellers into lounges, a different person's name on the priority pass or a different person a refundable global entry?
  • Anything else I should consider beyond going for it for the additional 100K miles?

Thanks for the help.
The airline refund benefit does not "suck". Quite the contrary - it's one of the best benefits the card offers in my opinion. You can get additional travelers into lounges - if you're flying AA or DL metal you can use one of their lounges with a guest gratis. You can use US Airways lounges whenever you want, also with a guest coming in for free. Priority Pass Select gives you free unlimited access to most of their lounges on any airline (no United club access ever, though), but guests will run you $27 per visit.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mbones
I assume the airline fee refund benefit stacks,
Originally Posted by mtftw
The airline refund benefit does not "suck".
I suspect you misread mbones post.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
Has anyone applied for regular plat after MB (or while holding it)? I know mb after regular works fine but I haven't seen any data points for the reverse...
Any issues with qualifying for bonus in that case?
Bumping this - any thoughts there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.