Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by teddy25
I am thinking about canceling my Amex plat and apply for the MB plat. I what order should I do it?
I just did this. I applied for MB Plat first, then canceled regular Plat. No problems.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
I just did this. I applied for MB Plat first, then canceled regular Plat. No problems.

Did you get the points yet?

Are they the same product family?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Did you get the points yet?

Are they the same product family?
FT and the blogosphere confirm that you can get the bonus for both AX Plat and MB Plat (even have both at the same time) with no arguing via AX customer service etc. MB Plat is treated as a special product. Just like the Morgan Stanley Plat is also separate. It is only normal Plat, Green, and Gold consumer cards that are the same family.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:40 am

doe this mean that having MB platinum open does not exclude me from getting the personal PRG 50k bonus?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: SQ QPPS, *A Gold, EK Skywards Gold
MB Plat : 50,000 point bonus with 1k spend for

Worthwhile taking this offer up or wait for 75k or 100k? I have a personal plat already
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by kaushik123
Worthwhile taking this offer up or wait for 75k or 100k? I have a personal plat already
I'm also debating the exact same thing myself. I don't want multiple charge cards open at once - so I think I'll probably just wait for another really good bonus on the plat and keep it for good.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: AOPA
I see the offer for 50,000. But it does say offer not available for current platinum cardholders. I guess I have to cancel the regular plat before I can apply for the mb plat.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Are there any important differences between the MB Plat and the regular Plat? Is the airport lounge and $200 airline reimbursement credit still there? I wanted to get a regular Plat with the 25k bonus but it says I can't have a Zync, Green, or Gold for 90 days (I have a Zync). But the MB Plat is a better deal with 50k bonus and I don't see anything saying having a Zync, Green or Gold affects getting the 50k. I'm closing my Zync account, but will I be safe in applying for the MB Plat now and still get the 50k?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by greenythebeast
Are there any important differences between the MB Plat and the regular Plat?
No. There are some additional Mercedes perqs, but nothing is missing. The annual fee is $25 higher. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...and-cards.html
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:05 am

Data point for a family member: Was an existing personal (non-MB) plat card holder with annual fee coming up. Applied for MB plat and received instant approval. Cancelled the Amex personal plat the next day. Card received a few days later, and spend immediately met. Charge turned from pending after about 3 days. 50k points posted 2 days later.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
I see the offer for 50,000. But it does say offer not available for current platinum cardholders. I guess I have to cancel the regular plat before I can apply for the mb plat.
No you don't! Apply for MB, then upon approval, cancel the regular. They really are separate and distinct!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:36 am

Does anyone know if the MB Amex (not the platinum) conflicts at all with the PRG? 3X on gas and 2X on restaurants appeal to me more than the PRG benefits do. The AF is less, $95, as well. I could convince myself to keep both Mercedes Benz cards open, but I'd like to take advantage of PRG or Platinum bonus offers should they arise.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think the wording is unambiguous. If you had a personal charge card open at any time in the last 90 days you are not eligible for a new account bonus on any personal charge card, and you are not eligible for the same card if it was open any time in the last year. Likewise if you had a Business charge card open at any time in the last 90 days you are not eligible for a new account bonus on any Business charge card, etc.

It is American Express' implementation which as been inconsistent. Early reports were that American Express looked only to see if an account had been opened in the past 90 days and did not care if an older account was still open. Recent reports are that American Express is often, but not always, enforcing the policy as written.

Fortunately, there is no need to guess. There are three Platinum cards:

• Personal
  • Mercedes
  • Business

...which can be rotated with zero conflict with each other. The Mercedes version does not conflict with any Gold card.
What about the Ameriprise plat?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:23 am

Just to follow up on MB plat for current Plat customers.

At time of MB Plat application, I was a current Plat holder. Applied and got instant approval, card overnight ed to me, spent my $1000 the next day on normal purchases, MR points posted 2 days later (well before statement close), called and canceled my old Standard plat and its $450 fee (that had posted that month and was waiting to be paid) was credited back immediately. Now have a new $200 airline fee and new Priority Pass. No problems at all.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:50 pm

Did you get the 200 airline credit on oth plats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.