Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
Trump International Hotel Chicago

Originally Posted by sidar
Looking for recommendation on Chicago. I am looking at the waldorf or peninsula chicago. Either give better upgrade in anyones experience?
Booked 3 nights at the Trump International Chicago on FHR's 3 for 2
Price: 3 nights stay USD 395.00 Nightly Rate Deluxe Room Rate
Actual Price: $263 + ~15% tax

$100 Spa Credit - Used
$50 F&B Credit - Used
Late Checkout - Not Used
Upgrade - Used
Breakfast credit of $30/person can be used in-room or at restaurant - Used

My first time staying at a Trump hotel and I must say I was thoroughly impressed. I was torn between the Waldorf (loyalty program) and Trump, but in the end went with the Trump for the location and to try the brand. I received a suite upgrade upon arrival with a stunning view of the river. Chocolates in the room as a welcome amenity.

Hotel is very well ran and reminds me of some of the nicer Asian hotels I have stayed at only with an American staff. Breakfast in the restaurant featured a great view, but the mood was stuffy so we opted for room service the remainder of the time. Our suite had a kitchen and a fireplace and the decor made it feel very spacious and homey. I cannot say enough great things about our stay here and would like to give a special thank you to all of the upper management staff.

PS: Trump Hotel also provides a complimentary Audi service (tip expected of course!) to anywhere within 1.5 miles from the hotel. Nice way to get to any of the nearby restaurants!

Last edited by JackDaniels; Feb 5, 2013 at 6:17 am Reason: Audi service instead of Volvo!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, VX Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deccoo
Has anyone had a recent stay at the Shangri-la in Sydney? Trying to work out the likelihood of an upgrade and therefore what room I should plump for to start off with.
Curious as well! Will be kicking off the honeymoon in SYD & planning to stay at the Shangri-La again. Hoping the perks at the Shangri-La will be enough to get the future wife to say "GO" on the AMEX Plat upgrade...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by sachs1999

Upon checkout I enquired why I was charged for breakfast. I was told I had ordered too much. So an order of fruit, toast and eggs split between 2 people is too much. I was informed only one item per person.

I can't begin to say how angry I was and will never be back at this hotel.
Wow - sounds like a bad turn of events !

We just got back from a 1 night stay that was the exact opposite... Upgraded from entry level King room to 2 bedroom villa with RC club access. Breakfast was included but it does state on the FHR welcome letter that each person gets one entree and one drink...a bit chintzy...should just be a $ value if they're concerned about guests overindulging. Used part of the $100 resort credit for breakfast overages and got some snacks at lobby cafe.

Staff were very friendly and helpful.

I personally find Palm Springs to be devoid of true luxury hotels, but was happy with the value and stay at Hyatt Indian Wells...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Would anyone here recommend any decent FHR hotels in Miami?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Would anyone here recommend any decent FHR hotels in Miami?
Acqualina, in Sunny Isles.
about 30 mns from south Beach so not in the heart of the action
but one of the best service ever, great hard & soft product.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Willard Washington D.C.

Combined with IC RA status, I booked a normal Deluxe and was upgrade several levels to an huge Executive Suite with two free mini-bars, refreshed daily. $100 F&B credit and full buffet breakfast for two each day. Excellent value, excellent stay.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS Gold75k, WN CP, Starwood Gold
Has anyone had any success with upgrades at Four Seasons Sayan in Bali?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:06 am

Four Seasons - Houston, TX

Booked $159/night Superior King Room

- FHR recognized on check-in
- Upgraded to executive suite on 17th floor
- $44 breakfast credit. They say it's just for the "Continental Breakfast" option but you can order anything. We ended up going over both days and was only charged gratuity.
- Did not use early check in or late check out
- $85 lunch/dinner credit at Quattro

They also have a free car service to take you anywhere in the downtown area. Allow a little extra time because they tend to be slow at times. Staff was very friendly and I would definitely stay again if in the Houston area.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:52 pm

Fairmont Waterfront Vancouver

Called Canadian Amex Plat Travel Service booked Fairmont room, got upgraded to top floor deluxe harbor view room. Hotel was pretty quiet for the 1 night that we stayed there.

$100 food and bev credit was used at Herons Restaurant for dinner, had breakfast also at Herons. I was looking forward to the bfst buffet, but when we arrived for bfast, we were informed that due to low hotel occupancy there was no buffet. Told that we had $29 credit each. I was disappointed but understood why.

Late check out offered and used, was a good stay, for the rate we paid. Watch out for the overnight parking $44! I was aware of the price before parking there.

Last edited by reggie108; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:54 pm Reason: added Vancouver to Fairmont Waterfront
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Rittenhouse, Philadelphia

Booked lowest category room and was upgraded to the next level.
Front desk honored all FHR benefits without hassle.
$100 dining credit applied to LaCroix, and food was superb.
Breakfast was given, with a dollar limit essentially giving you a full breakfast.
4 pm checkout given without being asked.
Will definitely come back. This is a great hotel, and FHR has great deals here.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Four Seasons Philadelphia

Second stay on FHR. First time got upgraded one category (from Superior to Deluxe). Second time got same room booked (Superior).

The rooms are no more special than a typical Fairmont. Certainly not what one expects from a AAA 5 diamond.

No problem with dining credit (Fountain is great) or breakfast. Late checkout given with no question both times.

Upon check in this second time around, the front desk showed me a rate $40 above what I booked at. I had a copy of my reservation with me, though, so they took the rate down. But I also noticed that at first the room was showing as a Deluxe Room, but after they took the rate down by the $40, it was changed to a Superior Room (lowest category). I asked the front desk about it, and she just shrugged it off and said it was just a name. No mention of upgrades, and no fake explanation like "we're full" or anything.

Of course the room is subpar, and we overlook some rooftop of some building. And the TV didn't work (we called down, and to their credit, someone came and fixed it while we went out for dinner).

But the lack of upgrade 50% of the time, the horrid service at the front desk this time around, and the fact that the rooms are as they are, I'd much rather go to the Rittenhouse if I am coming to Philly. Don't think I'll be back, except to eat at Fountain.

Last edited by choptliva; Feb 16, 2013 at 8:34 pm Reason: info added
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by choptliva
Second stay on FHR. First time got upgraded one category (from Superior to Deluxe). Second time got same room booked (Superior).

The rooms are no more special than a typical Fairmont. Certainly not what one expects from a AAA 5 diamond.

No problem with dining credit (Fountain is great) or breakfast. Late checkout given with no question both times.

Upon check in this second time around, the front desk showed me a rate $40 above what I booked at. I had a copy of my reservation with me, though, so they took the rate down. But I also noticed that at first the room was showing as a Deluxe Room, but after they took the rate down by the $40, it was changed to a Superior Room (lowest category). I asked the front desk about it, and she just shrugged it off and said it was just a name. No mention of upgrades, and no fake explanation like "we're full" or anything.

Of course the room is subpar, and we overlook some rooftop of some building. And the TV didn't work (we called down, and to their credit, someone came and fixed it while we went out for dinner).

But the lack of upgrade 50% of the time, the horrid service at the front desk this time around, and the fact that the rooms are as they are, I'd much rather go to the Rittenhouse if I am coming to Philly. Don't think I'll be back, except to eat at Fountain.

This doesn't sound like "horrid" service. A bit green maybe, but not horrid. If you wanted an upgrade badly, which it sounds like you did, you certainly could have taken the extra minute to ask for a manager and explained that you would have appreciated a more significant bump.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Regent Berlin

Suite upgrade, 80 euro F & B credit (slightly more than advertised, $85), breakfast daily.

And a surprise rate reduction on the final bill for a few of the nights.

A+
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, TK Elite, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, AMEX Plat
Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Waldorf Astoria Chicago

-Amenity: $100 Spa Credit
Utilized, nice spa, good facilities, $100 won't cover much here, also keep in mind that there's a 20% service charge added to all listed prices.

-Breakfast: $80/room
Utilized, once again, it won't go far and the menu is limited but it's certainly more than some properties offer. Balsan was rarely busy during breakfast hours and yet service was consistently slow. 18% service charge added to menu prices.

-Late-Checkout: Utilized
Even allowed to extend it to 5pm.

-Upgrade: Success
From Deluxe King to the 104m2 Luxury King Suite.

I can't fault the amenities provided by FHR but the hotel was a major disappointment. Having emailed weeks in advance, as well as having AMEX inquire and confirm that the hotel can accommodate special dietary needs, the hotel was not prepared for our arrival and were trying to shift the blame to AMEX. When I informed AMEX, the hotel apologized (a platitude really) and admitted AMEX had informed them but that they had an internal breakdown in communication at the property. Poor service throughout makes the 18% service charge on F+B a bit irritating. While it sounds nice that this property has a no gratuity policy, the hefty service charges seem a bit underhanded. Also worth noting, the AT&T reception in the lobby and a number of other parts of this property is abysmal.

Given the number of properties available in Chicago on FHR, I will not be staying at the WA Chicago again and I would not recommend it.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Langham Hotel, London

I took advantage of FH&R's "stay 3 nights, pay for 2" promotion.

No upgrades were available. I politely asked the FD to check again because I knew the hotel was not full. After conferring with management, FD was able to find me an upgrade to the Grand Executive room. I am glad I asked; the room was beautiful and the large bathroom was wonderful! Huge tub and lots of amenities in the bathroom. There was also fresh flowers in the room.

Complimentary wifi did not work most of the time. I had to call IT twice and the second time the agent was very rude. I gave up on using wifi.

Complimentary continental breakfast.

Late checkout was offered but I did not use it.

$100 spa credit

The day spa is available for use at no charge for hotel guests.

There is a drug store, Starbucks, and cafes and restaurants within walking distance. All Souls Church and the BBC Broadcasting House are across the street. Regent Street and High Street are also within walking distance.

Overall, I thought it was an incredible value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.