Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by ABG
With most luxury hotels they want to earn your business.... If this is really important to you, some hotels will make it happen. Working with a professional TA might be helpful for this. Bonne chance
Yes you're fully correct and my TA (and also by myself) was able to confirmed the 4 pm late check out prior arrival. However I don't want to ask for a favor each time to my TA and/or the hotel especially for a short stay (one nigh stay with a late check out required = FHR),
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:19 am

Acqualina Miami

Acqualina....my second love after my Family
They finally got 5 forbes (and already had 5 diamonds)

4 pm Late check out offered and used
bkfst credit up to USD 76
Great buffet with omelette station & meat
USD 100 spa credit used (plus another USD 40 per guest / day so the massage cost you very little)
Welcome drink at front desk
Welcome wine & cheese plate in room
Several welcome notes in room
No upgrade this time (it's true that the hotel was full per their web site) but they always upgrade when available (was upgraded maybe 4 or 5 times out of 7 or 8 stays)
One of the best (if not the best) customer service of my little experience

I don't work for the hotel and have no commision but I do love this place
Old Mar 13, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by mvarghese84
Booked a two night stay at the Umstead Hotel in Cary, NC in the lowest category room over this past weekend.

Upon arrival AmEx FHR benefits were noted and explained. 4 category upgrade was given (Executive Suite), $20 credit per person per day for breakfast at the restaurant, $100 food and dining credit applied, and 4pm late checkout granted.

Overall, a very excellent stay. The food at the restaurant (Herons) was delicious with excellent portions for the price. Service was prompt and very friendly. The one thing my wife and I noticed was they never said "no" to any of our requests. Room was very clean and in great condition. Wife loved the bed and the down pillows. Only negative would be the tiny bathtub. She is 5'6" 120lbs and barely fit in the tub.

I do recommend you stay here if you plan to travel to the Raleigh-Durham area.
Did you find that FHR only allowed you to book very high-category rooms at Umstead to begin with? It seems like their lowest category room on FHR is already the executive suite level (like 4 or 5 categories above the absolute lowest category at the hotel), with the next higher option being the One Bedroom Lakeview Balcony Suite, both a good chunk of change more than the deluxe room/non-suite/junior suite categories you can book normally via other means.

I'm staying here soon and just trying to justify the entry price to get FHR benefits at Umstead when I'll be paying a lot more, especially since their spa is currently closed...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:43 pm

I was able to book the lowest category room at the Umstead using the FHR online booking system, which I believe I did about two months before our stay. Did you compare against the Umstead's website to confirm that there is availability for the lowest category rooms?

If the Exec Suite is the lowest you can book I would probably find another hotel. Your chance of getting upgraded will be much lower and the cost is too rich for my blood. The room is nice but not that nice! I had actually emailed the hotel and requested the Governor's Suite when I booked. I checked back a week before our visit and they had noted my request and planned to put me in there. Sadly, two days before we arrived the suite was booked.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:40 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Acqualina....my second love after my
Does the construction next door still cause noise and dust issues?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Does the construction next door still cause noise and dust issues?
Good question
I just spent Saturday night there.
I have heard one big noise on Saturday afternoon, not sure if this was coming from the construction or not, but probably yes.
Sunday : no noise at all, no construction on sunday ?
Currently there are just 1 or 2 stories off the ground.

Last stay (3 nights) was in November and there were working on the building's foundation. The noise was limited and didn't find dust

The hotel suggest not to use the pool next to the construction and to use the two other pools (or three if you include the SPA pool).
Believe most if not all hotel's guests have free access to the SPA facilities / pool.

By the way, they're building a 55 stories condo called "mansion" , from 5 to 55 millions.
For 55 millions you have a "small" condo of 20000 sqft, it's still available so hurry up as I believe they only have one unit like that
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Ritz Carlton Pudong Shanghai

Used FHR promo, 3 nights and pay for 2 nights. Booked a base room, Deluxe Room.

Upon check-in, was informed about my FHR bonuses
Huge upgrade to a Panaromic Suite (but did not have club lounge privileges)
4 pm Late check out offered and used
Free buffet breakfast for two (Expensive as had to sign each morning for nearly $60USD for myself and hotel credited it)
USD 100 food credit used (room service easily ate into it with a bottle of sparking water at $20USD)
Welcome note

Overall, very nice stay at the rate I paid.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:53 pm

Does anyone have any recent experience at the Mandarin Oriental in DC? I'm going to be in DC for one night and am trying to pick an FHR property. The MO is closest to where I need to be that day.

If anyone's stayed there, slightly OT, but does room service run all night?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:40 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
If anyone's stayed there, slightly OT, but does room service run all night?
I've never stayed, but I can promise you at an MO room service is 24hrs.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Fairmont Pacific Rim, Vancouver, BC

Benefits Offered:
  • Breakfast in the restaurant or in room with no $ limit given.
  • $100 Spa Credit
  • 4pm Checkout
  • Room Upgrade

I only stayed one night with a FHR booking, but tagged a 3 night stay on before. Upgraded to the top floor of the hotel (22) which is one floor above the Gold Floor. Booked a Gold King for the FHR night and they let me stay in the Harbour View room for all 4 nights. Balcony and a lovely view of the harbour and mountains. I'll certainly stay again when I go back.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Hongta Hotel, Shanghai

Formerly the St. Regis here in Shanghai.

The hotel benefit was afternoon tea for two. It was not great, and only worth about $25. The Green Tea I ordered was a Dilmah tea bag and it took them 30 minutes to prepare the small platter of 2 scones, 4 small desserts, and two gross sandwiches (one ham and one cucumber and tomato). I thought the amenities generally have to be valued close to $100.

Breakfast was OK, nothing special in the lounge. Maybe the restaurant was better but I was warned it would be very busy.

As a SPG Plat I was upgraded to a Grand Luxe suite but I wasn't that impressed.

Rate was 888 - or about $120. This property seems to generally have very agressive rates around 600-900, I saw air crew leaving from their stay so it seems like its fallen to more of a 4-star vs. 5-star property with the budget/costs cut to offer low rates.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: WN CP; AMEX MR, US, DL
Hotel Eden, Rome

Stay 2 nights, 3rd night free X2 (6 nights, paid for 4)
Great Room, upgraded.
Breakfast buffet daily -- Very good, with exceptional views of Rome
Sedan Service to Airport at end of stay (available with 3 night stay, but they would not offer pick-up service in connection with 6 night stay)

Starwood amenities offered in addition to FHR amenities (choice of internet, drinks, etc.)

Overall this was a great stay, with a major caveat. The internet service in the Room was terrible and could not be fixed easily. It worked with the ipad for general surfing, but could not support VPN with laptop. Very frustrating.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: Amex centurion, plat, gold
Staying at the viceroy in Aquila ...any one have any feedback or suggestions on the property
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:03 pm

Booked Windsor Court in New Orleans. Got upgraded to suite, continental breakfasts, and a $100 food credit which we used for room service.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:38 pm

Four Seasons Baltimore

Has anyone stayed here yet? The published FHR benefit is $100 spa services. Wondering if I can convert that to Breakfast credit instead.

Edited: scrap that I see daily breakfast is an FHR benefit, duh!

Last edited by ENFO; Apr 7, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.