Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:43 am

Biltmore, Coral Gables

4-nite stay over New Years.

Early check-in honored
No room upgrade available at check in
Comp'd breakfast at Fontana each day, or $32 credit at Golf Club. Fontana was a zoo and the desk staff weren't that friendly. We wound up booking a reservation on open table each day on and that worked well. No bill presented at Fontana and the one day we used the golf course, all charges were erased.
$100 resort credit
They do charge a $22/day resort fee.

Overall a great stay and a nice option. Very close to the airport. Rooms were fine/refreshed and the pool is wonderful.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Biltmore, Coral Gables

4-nite stay over New Years.

Early check-in honored
No room upgrade available at check in
Comp'd breakfast at Fontana each day, or $32 credit at Golf Club. Fontana was a zoo and the desk staff weren't that friendly. We wound up booking a reservation on open table each day on and that worked well. No bill presented at Fontana and the one day we used the golf course, all charges were erased.
$100 resort credit
They do charge a $22/day resort fee.

Overall a great stay and a nice option. Very close to the airport. Rooms were fine/refreshed and the pool is wonderful.
So you book for breafast in your own hotel ? Using open table ?? Seems breakfast service is great there hihi
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CGRA
So you book for breafast in your own hotel ? Using open table ?? Seems breakfast service is great there hihi
I've done that before, great way to "churn" opentable points.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by United747
I've done that before, great way to "churn" opentable points.
Thank you for the tip
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Loews Portofino Bay at Universal Orlando

Stay: December 12-14
Early Checkin: 2pm
Late Checkout: 4pm
Upgrade: None, hotel full
$100 Food & Beverage Credit: Used for drinks and snacks in the American Bar
Breakfast: $13/person credit to cover Continental Breakfast at Trattoria del Porto. Our a la carte selections were fully covered
WiFi: Standard WiFi was fast enough for us, so I don't know if Premium was covered

I wrote a full review of our stay here: https://www.fhrnews.com/news/loews-p...f-harry-potter

We stayed here after the Four Seasons Orlando to visit Universal and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Universal hotels have 1 hour early access to Harry Potter and Express Unlimited passes to get to the front of many lines in the park.

Clearly a big step down from the Four Seasons, but the benefits of staying here are worth the downgrade. It's much cheaper too! The VIP manager did introduce himself during checkin, which is a nice touch.

Last edited by CRAZ8; Jan 3, 2016 at 4:49 pm
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by CGRA
I found it strange but the front desk at Fontana can be frazzled (unclear why). So booking at OpenTable seems to get you a table right away. Go figure and yes, enjoy the extra points
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
This is unbelievable!?!?

I would have been pissed.

I have made a note to avoid this place like the plague when I'm in the area for a couple weeks in May.

Please notify Amex when you have the time.

What a joke
Make a written complaint to Amex. They should follow up on your behalf as experiences like yours hurt its program.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Willard Washington D.C.

Same as the post above, except this time I was given an upgrade to a very nice and large Executive Suite. 1350 sq ft.

It had a dining table in the parlor so I had in-suite breakfast most days which was great. All included with FHR.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:03 pm

Fairmont Olympic Seattle

Stay: December 30
Early Checkin: 1pm
Late Checkout: 1pm
Upgrade: From King room to Executive Suite
$100 Food & Beverage Credit: Lunch at Shuckers included wine
Breakfast: $32/person credit for Georgian Room breakfast
WiFi: Didn't Use

I needed a single Fairmont night to get up to Prestige level of the President's Club, so we did a 1 night stay in Seattle and met some friends for cocktails. The King Room cost $197 for the night, with breakfast at $64 and $100 F&B, this nets out to $33 plus fees and taxes etc.

I really like the old style hotels, but the rooms here are a little tired. Fairmont recently started a $25M renovation of rooms that we heard in the morning - but not too early.

Read my full review of this hotel for my blog with more detail and a bunch of photos
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Gran Melia Fenix Madrid

I had a couple of great experiences with this place late last Spring, and now another here in January.
  • One night stay concatenated onto a four-night stay using Citi Prestige card. Might have done all five nights on FHR but Amex was so slow end of 2015 in opening up bookings. No problem splitting the payment across the two cards (Amex Plat, then Citi Prestige)
  • Booked entry level (Deluxe, about 25 sq. meters with only one window) and upgraded two levels to Supreme (more like 30 square meters, two windows, looking out on the linear park) to jibe with room type for the other four (Citi Prestige) nights. Basically a $75-100 difference in price. Would we have only gotten a Premium room (intermediate between the two) had we not had the subsequent room reservation in Supreme? Hard to say, but in the Spring without the two credit card finagle we got the Supreme upgrade.
  • Early check-in and then some: Let us in the room on arrival (mid morning), which is fantastic when flying in from States.
  • Late check out not needed.
  • Breakfast is in the restaurant until 11am and is a very nice buffet, with no problem for special requests. If you can't get going before 11am they will bring you up a great continental breakfast certainly as late as 12:30pm, maybe later. Willing to do restaurant and bring up b'fast if one party wants to sleep in.
  • Credit is 85 euros which cannot be used for the hairdresser. Spend it in Dry Martini, their great martini bar which also has excellent food. They are apologetic at checkout that tips cannot be credited to this amount.
  • Welcome gift is a bottle of water and some fruit and/or chocolate treat.

The hotel is highly conscious of FHR and follows the rules to the letter. We really enjoy the place. The staff is very, very nice, and very professional. The place is good value for money and exceptionally so when using FHR.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:32 am

Do FHR properties get removed regularly? I stayed at the Conrad Miami in '14 and had a great time and a pretty good upgrade. Trying to book another trip and it doesn't seem to be listed anymore, for any date.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mb300sd
Do FHR properties get removed regularly? I stayed at the Conrad Miami in '14 and had a great time and a pretty good upgrade. Trying to book another trip and it doesn't seem to be listed anymore, for any date.
Hotels get removed for a number of reasons. I have a list of this year's missing hotels here https://www.fhrnews.com/removed-fine...d-resorts-2016, and the Conrad Miami is now gone.

This is surprising, as a number of Conrads were also added this year, as part of the new relationship with Hilton.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:51 pm

Ritz Carlton Tokyo

Stay: Jan 14
Early Check in: Didn't use. Came in at 3ish
Late Check out: Didn't use. Guaranteed til 4pm at desk.
Upgrade: Didn't get an upgrade cause the next level up was club suite. They did give me a corner room though that was huuuge compared to other rooms.
$100 Food & Beverage Credit: Used for room service. Good food too.
Breakfast: For 2 everyday. Typically $40 a person I believe. Great food. Menu and buffet items.
WiFi: High speed already free for everyone.

I aligned my nights to get the most expensive night as the 4th night free. Great hotel/stay.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:38 pm

Sorry for the newbie question:

In order to qualify for the benefits of FHR, do you need to use the Platinum card to pay for the stay? I.E. I wanted to book the Park Hyatt, can I go through the American Express FHR portal and make the reservation with the Hyatt card instead?

Thanks,
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BioRad
Sorry for the newbie question:

In order to qualify for the benefits of FHR, do you need to use the Platinum card to pay for the stay? I.E. I wanted to book the Park Hyatt, can I go through the American Express FHR portal and make the reservation with the Hyatt card instead?

Thanks,
You need to pay with an AmEx. It doesn't have to be a plat/cent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.