Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mia
Reading all these reports my impression is that it varies by property. Do you have a specific destination in mind?
Yes it varies, and note that outside of north america, there are no extra taxes on F&B menu items. Taxes are included in the published price and thus included in your credit.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Reading all these reports my impression is that it varies by property. Do you have a specific destination in mind?
Oh sorry, I noticed it from our most recent stay at the St. Regis Houston. Was wondering if that's common or not.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I stayed at the Tides hotel on South Beach, Miami. The upgrade was to the same room on a higher floor, which is exactly a one-category upgrade according to the website, since they price different floors differently.

Complimentary breakfast was a $50 voucher at the hotel restaurant. The food was fresh, but service was very slow. It seems like no one at there, probably because it's expensive. At check in, I said I would need a 4pm check out, and the check in agent said he'd have to check to see what was available. Upon letting him know that this is a guaranteed benefit (and that I really needed the 4pm check out), he said he'll figure something out. On the day of the check out, my room card stops working at noon, so I had to go to the front desk and ask them to reactivate the card and reconfirm the 4pm check out.

The Amex benefit of complimentary lunch or dinner is a mess. When I emailed the manager, I was told it's a $75 value. When I asked the check in agent, she said there's no cap on how much I can spend, as long as it's on one meal. But when I went to have lunch, the restaurant lost power, so the managers came to apologize, and said they would comp all the stuff from the room minibar, and that our comp lunch would show up on the bill as a room credit. When I got the bill, the mini bar booze was still charged to my card (which they removed after I emailed to inquire), and that the lunch credit was $50.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:24 pm

Ritz Carlton JBR, Dubai

Stayed Aug. 2015
Booked deluxe room, upgraded to club floor with lounge access. (initially he said no availability, but than I told him it shows available on hotel's website.)
Checked in at 8am, was given room right away!
Breakfast buffet for two, however they let us have for three as our daughter was staying with us. Included b/fast on check-in day. Amazing breakfast.
$100 food credit. They let us use it towards spa services.
Free hi-speed wifi in room. Agreed to charges when signing in, however they didn't appear on bill.
Didn't use late check-out as we had a morning flight out.

Staff were extremely friendly and welcoming.
Overall, a great stay & resort. Would highly recommend and will definitely return.

Btw, FHR rate was same as hotels website. So basically all the benefits came at no charge.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: BA, Delta, USAir, Starwood, Marriott
Four Seasons Baltimore

Booked a corner suite ($699/night) and inquired as to availability at time of booking for water view corner suites ($1399/night). They told me there were a few available and that if one was available they confirmed that I would be upgraded.

Upon check in they were delightful and immediately confirmed my upgrade to the water view corner suite. AMAZING room and views. Loved it. Not sure it was worth $1399 but it was definitely worth $699!

Breakfast was a generous (can't remember the exact amount) credit for room service or breakfast in their restaurant which was fabulous and enough for a huge breakfast for 2.

Add'l amenity was $100 F&B credit which was used for lunch in room during a meeting. Used the 4 PM late checkout in order to host the meeting and it worked out fabulously.

The 4 PM late checkout was the best part. I needed to hold a small meeting (3 ppl) in the room and all the other hotels in that part of town wanted me to pay for 2 nights to keep it until 4 PM.

Essentially this stay more than covered my Amex Plat fee in one day. Not sure of any other way to get an upgrade like this without it!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:01 pm

Carlyle Hotel, New York

Used the "Third Night Free" promotion. Booked a standard King Room and was upgraded to a deluxe suite upon arrival.

Breakfast is a choice of room service credit of $50 per room or an extremely well stocked buffet in the elegant main dining room. The $50 room service credit is barely enough to cover coffee and rolls for two. Better to get dressed and eat in the restaurant.

$100 per stay spa credit offered. Most spa treatments start at about $175.

Two cover charges at the Carlyle's historic Bemelmens Bar are included. These are normally $25 to $30 per person.

Free WiFi

Large bowl of fruit was waiting in our room when we checked in, and the fruit was replenished during our stay.

Late check out offered but not used.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:31 am

When will the FHR rates for early 2016 be available?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:46 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
When will the FHR rates for early 2016 be available?
Brief discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...contracts.html
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by mia
Thanks. I guess the answer is,"Anytime between now and the end of the year."
Old Sep 9, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Four Seasons Vancouver

FHR acknowledgment: Received a letter at checkin
Upgrade: Booked a Preferred View and upgraded to a Junior Executive Suite - 1 level
Breakfast: Up to $40 CAD per person in Room Service or at YEW restaurant. Full buffet is $34/person
Amenity: $100 CAD discount on a Lunch or Dinner at YEW restaurant. Must be used in 1 go
Late Checkout: We left about 1:30pm, but could have stayed later
Stay: 1 night only

This hotel is in a central location, and isn't very large. Waits for the 4 elevators were very short. YEW is a fine place for breakfast/dinner/cocktails

The Junior Suite is a 2 room suite, overlooking The Georgia hotel (Also FHR) and the Vancouver Art Gallery across the street. The bed in the suite wasn't very comfy, so I didn't sleep very well. The bathroom is very tight for such a large room. The shower is over the tub, and I hate these. I managed to get in the tub with the water too hot, and there's no way to turn it down without getting out or getting burned.

Service here is really good, in the hotel, at the valet stand, and in the YEW restaurant.

All the discounts were correctly applied at checkout.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:57 am

Shangri-La Vancouver

-Booked 2 rooms for 4 nights.
-FHR acknowledged at check-in with explanation and print-out of benefits.
-Proactively mentioned that upgrades were not available and I didn't push.
-Received plate of plums and a handwritten note in room.
-Was told breakfast is a credit of $76 CAD for 2 people per room at the restaurant, Market. However, we were presented with a prix fixe menu that provided a pastry basket, fruit bowl and one entrée selection. We had guests over for breakfast 2 times and they were provided with an a la carte menu. They took $76 off one day and charged everything our guests ordered the next so there were some inconsistencies on how the credit/free breakfast actually works.
-$100 credit applied properly at check-out. Can be used for F&B or spa services.
-Late check-out offered, but not used.

A few minor annoyances. The first was the card reader for both rooms broke during our stay. It was not obvious to us at first and we thought the card actually failed so we trekked down to the lobby a couple times to get a new card until we realized it was the actual reader itself. Hotel acknowledged this has been a recent issue. One incident occurred around midnight so I was quite annoyed. No attempt at recovery.

The second was the lack of selection on the brunch menu. We had breakfast and then hosted a brunch for some guests on the same day. The selections were too similar so I asked if I could order one entree off the 24 hour room service menu for myself, but my request was declined. The food comes from same kitchen though.

The third was the valet blocking up both lanes of the exit and then taking his time to have a conversation with one of the residents with no acknowledgement that he was holding up traffic. The resident actually apologized on the valet's behalf for taking so long. Could easily be rectified by moving the car to the other lane.

None of these incidents would make me choose another hotel on my next stay in Vancouver, but just found the lack of common sense/courtesy a bit odd. I would still recommend the hotel.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:36 am

Ritz-Carlton Marina del Rey

Two recent one-night FHR stays at this hotel. I am really impressed with their service level.

Rate was $389 for lowest level King room. Upgraded both times to full Marina view.

Breakfast benefit is $80 credit, which can be applied to tax and tip. Valid in Cast & Plow or room service. We never went over $70 total for two, and we ate well.

$100 F&B credit for Cast & Plow or room service. This did not fully cover our dinner one night, but that's because we had drinks and wine.

4:00 checkout offered and accepted on one stay (not needed on other stay). No issues with key card working after regular checkout time, which is a surprisingly common problem we've experienced.

After first stay, requsted a particular type of bedding and this was provided without any reminder on second stay.

On our second stay, we arrived at the hotel about 9:30 pm and on getting to our room, our key cards didn't work. Went back to the front desk and she re-issued keys and accompanied us to the room. Front desk key worked, but not our keys. She let us into the room and called maintenance, who arrived promptly. Turned out to be a bad component that needed to be switched out, which they did at 10 pm. They apologized profusely but really we were not put out that much, as we were eating a room service dinner -- which the hotel comped as an apology! Very impressed.

While the bathrooms are small, they are well appointed and literally I can't think of one other thing to complain about at this property. It's only 20 minutes from LAX and from now on it will be our go-to "airport hotel."
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:54 am

stayed at the phoenician in scottsdale, booked 4th night free through FHR. not sure about room upgrade, but did get $100 property credit + 80$ credit for breakfast every day. brought our 1 year old with us and kids under 3 eat for free at all property restaurants, including breakfasts, so the 80/100 went to adults only.

overall very satisfied and for anyone looking for a great family friendly resort this is it.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
An Arizona doubleheader

Canyon Suites @ The Phoenician - Scottsdale, AZ

FHR acknowledgment: Received a letter at check-in. Received a small basket of fruit and bottled and sparkling bottles of water and a welcome box of local desserts.
Upgrade: Booked a Canyon Room and upgraded to a One Bedroom Suite. Upgrade acknowledged via SPG Account several days prior to check in.
Breakfast: Up to $80 a day. Ate at the Il Terrazzo each morning. Sunday Brunch had a very wide array of food.
Amenity: $100 F&B credit. We are not foodies at all. Ate at the Relish Burger Bistro twice, and had an early dinner a the Canyon Grill (at pool)
Stay: 3 nights. (stayed 3/paid 2 FHR)
__________________________________________________ _

Enchantment Resort - Sedona, AZ

FHR acknowledgment: A little confusing, but in part on my end as I was being distracted by my SO and the valet.
Upgrade: Booked a Casita Studio (Q bed pull-down). No upgrade. Resort 100% booked. Dummy booking confirmed this. Room was large. The pull-down bed was unnecessary, as the room can be arranged differently. Gas grill where we cooked out 2 nights.
Breakfast: Up to $60 a day. We ate twice at the Mii Amo Café and twice at Che-Ah-Chi. (last year we stayed 2 nights here and you needed to use a voucher. This year it was deducted each day from the bill)
Amenity: $100 Spa credit. Used (was not expecting this) for green fees at their Seven Canyon Golf Course.
Late Checkout: We left about 3:00pm.
Stay: 4 nights. (stayed 4/paid 3 FHR)

Overall: The FHR upgrades and amenities "saved" us approx. $1800

Last edited by OneHourPhoto; Sep 14, 2015 at 3:10 pm
Old Sep 15, 2015, 7:49 am

funny you post this right after me -- good chance saw you around somewhere at the restaurants or the pool.

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
Canyon Suites @ The Phoenician - Scottsdale, AZ

FHR acknowledgment: Received a letter at check-in. Received a small basket of fruit and bottled and sparkling bottles of water and a welcome box of local desserts.
Upgrade: Booked a Canyon Room and upgraded to a One Bedroom Suite. Upgrade acknowledged via SPG Account several days prior to check in.
Breakfast: Up to $80 a day. Ate at the Il Terrazzo each morning. Sunday Brunch had a very wide array of food.
Amenity: $100 F&B credit. We are not foodies at all. Ate at the Relish Burger Bistro twice, and had an early dinner a the Canyon Grill (at pool)
Stay: 3 nights. (stayed 3/paid 2 FHR)
__________________________________________________ _

Overall: The FHR upgrades and amenities "saved" us approx. $1800

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.