Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:11 pm
Used to be highman123

Just want to throw this around here - in my experience it's ok to have a (partial) refund on your minimum required spend.

I.e. spend 3k - refund 2k and wait 3 months for the check

This has always given me spend bonuses. It has been unintentional so far and it's a risky move but it works
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AOPA
There is still the MB PLAT

MB PLAT is a different product, so go with that one

Originally Posted by Thundershaft
I have an outstanding PRG as well and therefore I didn't apply. The punchline is, since you were approved and recieved a PLAT card, does this exclude you from another PLAT signup bonus within 12 month?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
No, i have not paid my bill yet. I did one $3K charge and bought Amex gift cards. Prolly not the smartest way to meet spend, but since I've been buying them with other cards, I figured i'm safe. But i've been using it for other things as well.
thanks. the points are just pending, or have they posted already - even though you did not pay your bill, yet?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
I have an outstanding PRG as well and therefore I didn't apply. The punchline is, since you were approved and recieved a PLAT card, does this exclude you from another PLAT signup bonus within 12 month?
That's a good question. Since I won't activate the card, don't know if that will count as me "having it". Either way, it's OK - I'm not in a big rush to get the Platinum card unless another huge bonus offer comes out. If it does, I'll most likely have my wife apply as she does not have any PRG cards.

I will be pre-emptively downgrading my PRG card to a blue card though. I don't use it at all these days except for Small Business Saturdays.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Decisions decisions... I need to figure out which Airline to get my $200 in GC's with!
Why don't you just wait until you need to make a purchase and decide then?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
thanks. the points are just pending, or have they posted already - even though you did not pay your bill, yet?
Mine have posted to the account.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by kendenton
That's a good question. Since I won't activate the card, don't know if that will count as me "having it". Either way, it's OK - I'm not in a big rush to get the Platinum card unless another huge bonus offer comes out. If it does, I'll most likely have my wife apply as she does not have any PRG cards.

I will be pre-emptively downgrading my PRG card to a blue card though. I don't use it at all these days except for Small Business Saturdays.
I downgraded my PRG to their Zync product in May when the 175 hit for the PRG. Then I realized that I couldn't transfer the points to miles becauase it was "MR express" and not MR... So I opened another PRG 6 month later and got the first year free...

Does the blue version allow you to keep your Reward points? Or is it Membership Reward "express"
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
I downgraded my PRG to their Zync product in May when the 175 hit for the PRG. Then I realized that I couldn't transfer the points to miles becauase it was "MR express" and not MR... So I opened another PRG 6 month later and got the first year free...

Does the blue version allow you to keep your Reward points? Or is it Membership Reward "express"
I have <100 MR points left after my last ANA transfer. Doesn't matter at this point if I lose them.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:16 pm

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Originally Posted by kendenton:20046014

I have <100 MR points left after my last ANA transfer. Doesn't matter at this point if I lose them.
You can transfer them to my Delta account if it doesn't matter!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:18 pm

for the $200 credit with buying gift cards - are you doing that in person at the airport, or online?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by therivler1
for the $200 credit with buying gift cards - are you doing that in person at the airport, or online?
Of course u buy it online... why would u buy it in person or at the airport?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
Originally Posted by EWRHKG
Of course u buy it online... why would u buy it in person or at the airport?
Because that's the only way with Delta
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:19 pm

So all the curious minds who got on the deal knowingly/unknowingly with prior charge card like me, I'll be able to update the thread in a day or two. I just spent 3K since I got the card. Bought two 500$ Vanilla cards from CVS in the last hour.

I will post back..

Last edited by airplane7; Jan 14, 2013 at 3:27 pm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by airplane7
So all the curious minds who got on the deal knowingly/unknowingly with prior charge card like me, I'll be able to update the thread in a day or two. I just spent 3K since I got the card.
Without going into details, let me just say that if you get the right AMEX rep then magic can happen!

EDIT: There is no way that I know of to get to any particular rep. It's just "luck of the draw." Maybe the flu has more "managers" working the phone banks?

Last edited by uszkanni; Jan 14, 2013 at 4:36 pm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 4:18 pm

does anyone know for global entry fee refund, does gloable entry applicant need to be the same as card holder? i am think sign up for addition card ($175 for up to 3) and use one of them for my < 18 year kid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.