Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by longhorn11
Can people just make the spend and see what happens? You are not going to get a certain yes or no, so instead of hammering amex with confirmations (which we have seen before are hit and miss) just spend 3k and if it works it works. For the life of me I can't understand why people are pointing out to Amex specifically why you are ineligible for the bonus yet you're asking if you can still get the points. All that does is flag your account if anything. I mean really??? Everyone here took the risk now see if it pays off, simple as that.
Well said.

I applied for both the Plat and the PRG (simultaneously, in 2 browsers) in the big orgy Monday night. Got instant approval for both.

Both cards were delivered wednesday. I activated the Plat first wed night (that was the one I clicked on first, by about 1/2 a second), called and got activated without speaking to a human, Today I called to activate the PRG, was handed to an agent. Friendly, even chatty, only reference he made to the offer was that he couldn't see offer details and if I wanted to confirm them, to call back in a day or two.

I've never had any of these personal cards before, so I'm clearly eligible for either offer. I hope to get the bonus for both, but understand that's a crapshoot (and probably at long odds), so I won't jump off a bridge if they deny me the second bonus. It's just an additional $1K spend, which is trivial enough (2 VRs or a few trips to Costco).

I'm going to meet the $3K spend on the Plat first, then will do the additional $1K on the PRG and keep my fingers crossed. I'm not going to pester them to give me a confirmation (what's that worth anyway?) or otherwise do anything to draw attention. The combined spend is not terribly hard to hit. If I get the second bonus, great. If not, no big deal, I'll try to convince them (like everyone else, I do have screenshots), but I know that may not fly. If it doesn't, fine, I'll move on. It's all a good deal regardless. Life is short and I have other things to do (gotta go buy a VR card to break in my new card... ).
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Wait until your first FR and then you will suddenly have this nagging urge to grill AMEX to death over anything. "And after you answer all 52 of my questions, AMEX Representative, you have to FAX this signed form to me now, mail a signed copy of all your company's annual reports for the last 25 years, and have your firstborn child hand deliver my membership rewards, or we keep all you phone line accounts locked up forever...."

Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
There's no point in hammering amex with "am I in or am I out?"
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:18 pm

Thought this was interesting (sorry if slightly OT):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/bu...s.html?hp&_r=0

Basically AMEX's took a $212M charge for reward points in the quarter or about $900M for the entire year. That's a lot of points!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Thought this was interesting (sorry if slightly OT):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/bu...s.html?hp&_r=0

Basically AMEX's took a $212M charge for reward points in the quarter or about $900M for the entire year. That's a lot of points!
To be more precise, and really underscoring exactly how lucrative the MR program is for Amex, Amex increased its redemption estimate from 93% overall to 94% overall and that (mere) 1% increase in the redemption assumption required Amex to increase its reserves: a $342 million addition to the balance sheet reserve which, after tax, equates to about a $212 million charge.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Marriott, Hilton
Quick question for the pro's. I went into this offer on Monday night and started to fill out the application. I decided to sit on it for a day and there was an option to "Send the application to email" or something like that. So I did it and they sent me a link via email to the offer. Well on Tuesday the news broke about the deal being dead. So I just went on with my life. Well on Wednesday I get another email from Amex reminding to finish my application and it specifically states "the link to the application will be valid until 02/06/2013" but the link is dead. So, I decided to call Amex and see if they would honor it. The guy I spoke to didn't know about the offer and put me on hold while he spoke with a manager. He came back on the line and basically said there was nothing he could do.

So my question, do you all think I have any leg to stand on? Is there a better number I could call? I called the Customer Service line and went to the "Apply for a new card" extension.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by jfoley22
Quick question for the pro's. I went into this offer on Monday night and started to fill out the application. I decided to sit on it for a day and there was an option to "Send the application to email" or something like that. So I did it and they sent me a link via email to the offer. Well on Tuesday the news broke about the deal being dead. So I just went on with my life. Well on Wednesday I get another email from Amex reminding to finish my application and it specifically states "the link to the application will be valid until 02/06/2013" but the link is dead. So, I decided to call Amex and see if they would honor it. The guy I spoke to didn't know about the offer and put me on hold while he spoke with a manager. He came back on the line and basically said there was nothing he could do.

So my question, do you all think I have any leg to stand on? Is there a better number I could call? I called the Customer Service line and went to the "Apply for a new card" extension.
Same result of bread that pops up out of the toaster after having been in too long....

But dont take my word for it, I'm not a pro.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by jfoley22

Amex did this with referral emails too -- you could send out referral emails that claimed to be good through the end of December 2012, but then the program was killed in November and all the links were terminated.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by andysiz
To be more precise, and really underscoring exactly how lucrative the MR program is for Amex, Amex increased its redemption estimate from 93% overall to 94% overall and that (mere) 1% increase in the redemption assumption required Amex to increase its reserves: a $342 million addition to the balance sheet reserve which, after tax, equates to about a $212 million charge.
Do you have a link for that? I'd love to read more. Is that in the AMEX quarterly report? thanks
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Didn't work all that much for the UA mispriced award tickets to HKG.
Considering that there are published mileage tables throughout the United website that state the true cost of an award ticket to the region in which Hong Kong resides, one can say that it did work.

Just like with this ... while application may say that you will receive 100K MR points, if other parts of the website clearly state that current cardholders are excluded, then you have to follow that rule as well.

You're probably thinking of two different mistakes. The "low" priced awards had quite a strong leg to stand on and were honored. It was a "reasonable" and often published price to the destination, mistake or not.

The 4 mile awards did not.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, DL Amex Reserve Hilton Diamond AS 75K
Originally Posted by duc1986d
Anybody has experiences with having a Gold card and apply for the Platinum card and get bonus on both of them. It seems that the term doesn't allow it if you have the gold card within the last 90 days. I just talked to the CSR and she said it would get the points. She sees my gold card too but not sure she is aware of the term

Last edited by jimblack; Jan 10, 2013 at 9:05 pm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:51 pm

Got VR x2 at CVS. No problems w/ swipe.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:01 pm

I'm honestly a little worried about triggering F/R from bean purchases since I did a triple Amex app including this card and have no bean history on an Amex card. But I have close to $10k spend to make now...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
I'm honestly a little worried about triggering F/R from bean purchases since I did a triple Amex app including this card and have no bean history on an Amex card. But I have close to $10k spend to make now...
Just be smart about it and you should be ok. Don't go back to the same Charlie Victor Sierra location 5 days in a row and make charges for $1007.90 each time.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by mtftw
Just be smart about it and you should be ok. Don't go back to the same Charlie Victor Sierra location 5 days in a row and make charges for $1007.90 each time.
many people must be feeling itchy ears now
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I read that you have the month of January to change your preferred airlines for the $200 incidentals. Does that apply to new account as well? When do I have to make the decision?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.