Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Thank you OP!

Got approved for the Plat card. Perfect timing since I'm buying 2 tix for CGK next week. Also, the lounge benefits would be helpful then.

Is the annual fee normally $700 for this particular card?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by htj
This seems like a pretty sweet deal, thanks to everyone for posting and commenting. I have two reservations about it though:

1) it seems like double-dipping the $200 airline incidental credit is pretty iffy. Even if the gift cards work next january, the chance you'll get that credit immediately before you have to close the card to avoid the annual fee seem slim. The credit is supposed to post "within 4 weeks"

2) the terms for the airline incidental credit explicitly say gift cards don't count. I know they've worked in the past, but i wouldn't blame AMEX in the least if they clamp down on that after getting thousands of new card members on this deal. If you can't do gift cards, i don't see a good way to get the $200 incidental credit, unless it covers taxes or fuel surcharges maybe? wasn't clear from the part i read.

I'm not trying to bash the deal; just trying to convince myself its worth laying out $450!
Gift cards work..just search here on FT for details. I have gotten it on multiple platinum cards since the benefit was added Dec of 2010.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Can anyone confirm or add any detail on if it is worth applying for BOTH the Gold and Plat card at once? Do you get both bonuses?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Rene23
Not to be dense, but am I understanding correctly that I am not eligible for this offer since I already have a Gold AMEX Rewards Plus card (that I've had for 16 years!).
To answer my own question, I decided to give it a shot and applied for the Platinum. Instant approval.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Can anyone confirm or add any detail on if it is worth applying for BOTH the Gold and Plat card at once? Do you get both bonuses?
Discussed many times in thread. Summary: Approval for both is easy. Most likely (and according to Amex reps) you will only get the bonus on the first application and nothing for the second. YMMV, some are trying anyways.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:09 am

i have a platinum card and my wife a gold card under my account, can we apply for this?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:09 am

Also, since many people here seem to be confused about this, getting approved for an Amex card does NOT mean you're getting the bonus. Unlike many other card issuers, Amex will happily approve your application and then deny you the bonus if you aren't eligible for it.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:11 am
xp0

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
Also, since many people here seem to be confused about this, getting approved for an Amex card does NOT mean you're getting the bonus. Unlike many other card issuers, Amex will happily approve your application and then deny you the bonus if you aren't eligible for it.
Correct. And even when you apply and talk to the rep/csr they will tell you the bonus of the card and that is what is tied to your application. However, when it comes time to get your bonus, you wont.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
So, mia, are you saying that folks: a) who at the start of this apply-o-thon yesterday held an Amex card might still get a bonus, or b) that folks who in the past 24 hours got the Gold and Plat at once might get both the 50K and 100K bonuses, or c) both?

I infer that you mean "a", but I'm not certain.
I mean (a). If your most recent American Express personal charge card application was more than ninety days ago (or a year, depending on the product) you will probably be deemed eligible for the bonus even if the card account is still open. There is still risk because the terms as written state otherwise.

American Express seems to have recently implemented software which can detect simultaneous applications and delays consideration of one application for several days. This is too recent to know how reliable their process is, but I would not expect many people to succeed in receiving a bonus for both Platinum and Gold applications.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:14 am

Mercedes-Benz Platinum

A couple of posters have asked if you've had the AMEX Mercedes-Benz Platinum within the past 12 months, are you eligible for this promo on the AMEX Platinum personal. The answer is yes. I spoke this morning to an application CSR, who checked with someone else at AMEX. He confirmed that because they are different products from different families, you would be eligible. This also confirmed what I was told when I spoke to AMEX reps a year or so ago when this same situation and question arose.

My CSR seemed very excited to sign us up for this 100K Platinum promotion!

Carry on.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I mean (a). If your most recent American Express personal charge card application was more than ninety days ago (or a year, depending on the product) you will probably be deemed eligible for the bonus even if the card account is still open. There is still risk because the terms as written state otherwise.

American Express seems to have recently implemented software which can detect simultaneous applications and delays consideration of one application for several days. This is too recent to know how reliable their process is, but I would not expect many people to succeed in receiving a bonus for both Platinum and Gold applications.
Not the answer I wanted to hear (as someone who jumped on and was approved for both cards yesterday - fortunately, the Plat one first by a few minutes - for both myself and my wife). But very informative nonetheless. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by mia

My husband has a gold rewards card (I already have a plat) that he got in May last year. He also has a business gold rewards.

I could upgrade his card, and I guess the suspense would be whether or not he gets the bonus after doing a 3K spend.

Wondering if it's worth the credit pull and the extra money for this new card... I dunno.

It did say 90 days. However, the way it's written, it sounds like it's if you have one of those cards at all.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:20 am
mia

Originally Posted by htj
2) the terms for the airline incidental credit explicitly say gift cards don't count. I know they've worked in the past, but i wouldn't blame AMEX in the least if they clamp down on that after getting thousands of new card members on this deal.
Correct. The terms explicitly exclude gift cards, but American Express appears not to have the ability to reliably detect such purchases. This could change at any time. The entire benefit could be eliminated or revised at any time. Another use of this benefit is to partially offset the cost of a United Club membership. The Platinum Card provides access to US lounges, to AA and DL lounges (when flying those airlines) and a Priority Pass Select membership (which covers AS and hundreds of independent lounges), but nothing for UA lounges. That's the original motivation for offering the $200 credit.

Originally Posted by koolr
100,000 MR Points = $1000 in gift cards??
$1,000 in merchant giftcards. If you redeem for American Express giftcards 100,000 points is only $500.

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Is the annual fee normally $700 for this particular card?
No, the standard annual fee is $450. If you need additional cards for family members the cost is $175/year for "up to three" Platinum cards, or $45/year for "up to five" Gold cards. The additional Platinum cards carry most of the benefits of the primary card (e.g. lounge access), but do not increase the airline fee reimbursement allowance which is $200 per account per calendar year.

Last edited by mia; Jan 8, 2013 at 8:27 am
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:24 am
mia

Originally Posted by lbotez
I could upgrade his card, and I guess the suspense would be whether or not he gets the bonus after doing a 3K spend.
The term "upgrade" has a specific meaning at American Express. An "upgrade" will not qualify for the 100,000 point offer. You must apply for a new account.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by jamflyer
Thanks -eveything looked great till I got the second page - the darn page would not load.
Decided to cancel out this app and try again... instant approval ^- now will I get the card before Saturday mornging? Now a wait and see if I will get the points as I have the PRG which is up for renewal in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.