Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Old Jan 8, 13, 2:30 am

i cancelled my pltinum may. Will i get bonus?
Old Jan 8, 13, 2:49 am

I'm fairly new to the credit card game, but doesn't the $450 for the annual fee seem kinda of steep? Or is it worth it? Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger for me and my wife, but $900 is a lot to part with. Any advice?
Old Jan 8, 13, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by freeflights4me View Post
I'm fairly new to the credit card game, but doesn't the $450 for the annual fee seem kinda of steep? Or is it worth it? Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger for me and my wife, but $900 is a lot to part with. Any advice?
Go to the Amex subforum and read the $200 airline fee reimbursement threads. For many airlines, small gift cards are reimbursed up to $200 each calendar year per account. Since it is early January, you can get the credit in 2013 and very early in 2014, so you would get $400 back per card for the first membership year. This effectively makes the fee $50.

In addition, the benefits of the card are amazing. If you apply for Global Entry, you get the $100 reimbursed. You get lounge access through the card and through Priority Pass. You get free SPG Gold status. It is well worth the fee.
Old Jan 8, 13, 3:05 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
the creditcard.com links are not working anymore no more 100k
Old Jan 8, 13, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Guava View Post
My hunch is if you want this offer, act now or it may be too late already. I guess this offer has a life between 24-36 hours before it is pulled.
Thanks!
Acted on PRG - just found it hard for myself to justify $450 in AF as I already have Global Entry (so can't save $100 on this) and I mostly fly other airlines in Europe, so will probably not be able to use lounges with Platinum that often.

Nonetheless, instant approval for PRG and free 50000 MR points. If it didn't have such an outrageous foreign transaction fee of 2.7%, I would have probably spent $30k in a year easily, but such a huge FTF changes the whole economics if charged in foreign currency making it not worthwhile :-(

Anyway, many thanks to those who mentioned this trick with creditcards.com...
Old Jan 8, 13, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by jammanxc View Post
Still works for me ... clear yo cookies!
Old Jan 8, 13, 3:11 am

still working over
Old Jan 8, 13, 3:15 am

worked for me; I went 6/6 in late November but still got an instant approval
Old Jan 8, 13, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by jammanxc View Post
Yup, I can confirm it is still working. Just received instant approval. I guess I'm part of the club now, this was my first rewards card. Hope it was a good way to get my feet wet.

Just wondering if I should wake my wife up now to get her SS# or wait and see if the offer is still there in the morning. 2:17am here
Old Jan 8, 13, 3:28 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by ascg View Post
i cancelled my pltinum may. Will i get bonus?
I cancelled in late January 2012 and am so, so close to the 1 year mark. Anyone have any specific experience with how hard these T&C restrictions have been enforced lately?
Old Jan 8, 13, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by freeflights4me View Post
Yup, I can confirm it is still working. Just received instant approval. I guess I'm part of the club now, this was my first rewards card. Hope it was a good way to get my feet wet.

Just wondering if I should wake my wife up now to get her SS# or wait and see if the offer is still there in the morning. 2:17am here
Always have wife's, kids', dog's, and parents SSN on hand for situations like this!
Old Jan 8, 13, 4:04 am

Programs: UA
Instantly approved! 4th amex card!
Old Jan 8, 13, 4:07 am

FT is fantastic. link is working , try opening in chrome incognito to not deal with cookies. instant approval for PRG, even though credit score is low 700s, with tons of credit inquiries in last 6 months. citi denied me last month, so did barclays, chase approved me after reconsideration, got couple of citi hilton 2 months prior etc.
love amex and chase
thanks guys
Old Jan 8, 13, 4:15 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Applied and approved for the Plat card. Email came 5 min later with last few digits of acct #.
Old Jan 8, 13, 4:46 am

Programs: AA, BA, HH
Same result as BostonFlyer1624. I did switch browsers from IE to FireFox. The app. was timing out in IE.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: