Platinum in Germany

Old Mar 22, 04, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX SEN, BA Silver, HH Diamond
Platinum in Germany

Hi,

Just to let you know how to save money without a lot of work:

I'm just moving up from Gold to Plat.
After roughly 8-9 months of Gold membership with significant spending I asked the Amex rep on the -2000 hotline for Plat. She sent me an "Invitation" BUT this shows 400€ yearly + a sign-up fee of 250€.

Now here is how I got around that:
As I didn't want to wait for the application to arrive in the mail, I went over to the friendly folks of the Amex promotion booth in the HAM Terminal 4 gate area. They just started marketing the Platinum Card last monday.
And you can get it there w/o the 250€ sign-up fee!

It looks like the are marketing the card direct, even for non-members. The minimum income stated on the form is 60.000€

Cheers,
T_no

[This message has been edited by t_no (edited Mar 22, 2004).]
Old Mar 24, 04, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Hi,

While studying my "Persönliche Einladung" for the Platinum Card, I just noticed something really bad for Amex:

The quoted German 800 Number is out of Service! 0800/0624686 is just not existent.

How embarrassing is that? You ask someone to spend 400€ + 250€ signup and provide an invalid 0800 number for more info.

"Sollten Sie Fragen haben, zögern Sie nicht, uns anzurufen:"

Cheers from a dumbfounded
Tino
Old Mar 24, 04, 5:15 am

Amex Germany and its service are completly gone to the dogs, especially since they outsorced about 90% of their total employees to Madrid, Spain, at the end of last year.

Only the so called "Management", "Amex-Bank", "Travel-Service" and "Lifestyle" departments stayed at FRA.

Every other service for Germany is provided from all over Europe (UK, Ireland, Spain, etc...) and very often by a bunch of underpayed and less motivated peolpe.

My personal advice:
Get a life and save your money for something better!

Old Mar 24, 04, 6:50 am

To prevent my former statement from being mistaken: I did not intend to offend any people with foreign nationality.

The less motivated and underpayed bunch of people I mean, are usually the former ones from Germany, who were offerd to choose between:

"Get fired!" or "Move with your job to another country - for a much lower salary!"

Shame on American Express Europe!!!!!
Old Mar 24, 04, 8:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by axel1:
(...)Every other service for Germany is provided from all over Europe (UK, Ireland, Spain, etc...) and very often by a bunch of underpayed and less motivated peolpe.
</font>
Do only overpayed germans print correct 0800 numbers on documents ...?

[This message has been edited by ahrz (edited Mar 24, 2004).]
Old Mar 24, 04, 8:37 am

Guess whe does the text or layout for those official letters, invitations, markting-mails, etc.. printed in german??

Sure not the ones in Frankfurt!
Old Mar 24, 04, 3:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by t_no:
It looks like the are marketing the card direct, even for non-members. The minimum income stated on the form is 60.000€

[This message has been edited by t_no (edited Mar 22, 2004).]
</font>

It was always available to non-members even without any proof of any income. The only thing they wanted were some statements of my Diners and Visa card...
Old Mar 25, 04, 7:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by t_no:

And you can get it there w/o the 250€ sign-up fee!
</font>
also, if you have significant spendings AMEX will invite you with a personal popup on the online account page, waiving the sign up fee. if you call amex and ask for the platinum card, they will waive it. they also offered me 10.000 reward points. I guess it depends on the call center agent and you spendings, but everything is negotiable...
Old Mar 25, 04, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Oh well,

10000 MR points... too bad, should've known beforehand ;-.(

I only had my Amex for 8 months, I guess they only do pop-ups after a year or so. Because I'm spending quite a bit on my cards.

I know somebody who has the blue card for 3 years now with moderate spendings and got an invitation pop-up..

And I just found out, that if you put your private gold card on your business gold card account, it only costs an additional 28 €.

So now I pay 400 for my two cards and my wifes card, instead of 102+28+40=170,- ok, plus MR 200,-

Gosh, I wonder if I ever get to make up those 200 by extended insurance bennies, or free upgrades, or something...

I mailed my letter to Amex today, curious to see how they respond to the number issue.
Old Mar 25, 04, 10:00 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
The full Priority Pass, Hilton Gold status, Starwood Gold status and the insurance benefits are worth far more than 200 EUR.
Old Mar 25, 04, 3:51 pm

At least the work is staying in the EU unlike the US which is sending the work to India
Old Apr 3, 04, 6:12 am

What I want to say is that the service from amex is down very fast, and there only by invitation platinum card is now no more prestigious as they are selling almost his plat. card and the yearly income is only 60000 euro to apply ,this is bad and cheap, so this kind of marketing the platinum card with so small income is no more the amex way of prestigious and services levels offered only with his card.
Old Apr 9, 04, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by WORLDWIDE TRAVELER
What I want to say is that the service from amex is down very fast, and there only by invitation platinum card is now no more prestigious as they are selling almost his plat. card and the yearly income is only 60000 euro to apply ,this is bad and cheap, so this kind of marketing the platinum card with so small income is no more the amex way of prestigious and services levels offered only with his card.
Since 1999, the platinum card is not the premium Amex product anymore.
Now it's the Centurion card (where available).

IMHO, a credit card (if "by invitation only" or not), is a tool to simplify your travel by offering some benefits.

These days, as there are so many cards of every possible colors in use,
nobody cares what kind of card you use.

If you want to show your wealth, a Rolls-Royce and a golden Rolex do it better...
Old Apr 28, 04, 1:58 am

Programs: US *G (AF, BA)
Question

Originally Posted by t_no
Hi,

While studying my "Persönliche Einladung" for the Platinum Card, I just noticed something really bad for Amex:

The quoted German 800 Number is out of Service! 0800/0624686 is just not existent.
As I see, you got your invitation end of March. What's even more embarassing is, I got my invitation last week (end of April), and the same, non working Phone-# was given to me.

Should I cancel, keep my diners and continue paying primary insurance fees on rental cars...

JN ;-}
Old Apr 28, 04, 4:30 am

Keep your Diners, dump Amex and get a Lufthansa Visa-Gold instead.

It offers alomst all the benefits (exept hotelchain-status) like Amex Plat. and even includes an insurance that covers you when cancelling a prebooked travels(Reiserücktrittskostenversicherung).

Amex Germany only has that insurance for centurion.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: