Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

UK Platinum to Centurion Upgrades - How did you get yours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

I thought it would be interesting to collect responses of how UK Amex Platinum card holders received invitations to upgrade to Centurion. How long had you had the platinum card before the upgrade invitation. How much did you spend per month and on what kinds of things? Do Amex monitor the kinds of spend (i.e. what you spend it on) as well as how much?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 2:03 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flyer26:
I thought it would be interesting to collect responses of how UK Amex Platinum card holders received invitations to upgrade to Centurion. How long had you had the platinum card before the upgrade invitation. How much did you spend per month and on what kinds of things? Do Amex monitor the kinds of spend (i.e. what you spend it on) as well as how much?</font>
Spend - about Ł4000 a month mostly on travel / restaurants

I called to say I was no longer happy with the service provided by the Platinum concierge (I had a few specific gripes) and fully intended to cancel my card. They said they'd refund half my annual fee, which they did, and I received a centurion invite about a month later.

Old Mar 9, 2004, 2:22 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I have had a Plat for about 4 years. For 3 years I spent on average Ł8k per month on travel, hotels. Over the last year my spend has dropped to around Ł1k per month as I charge most stuff to my BA amex. I recieved an invite 1 month ago to Centurion and accepted because I am a snob and like the colour of the card. Interstinly I haven't had to pay my membership fee for 2 years as I have had it waived for various reasons.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 5:04 am

I was having a conversation with an amex agent a few weeks ago who said they will put plat cardholders forward for centurion on request, but only if they spend Ł30k a year on their card. I guess you just have to ask (and have the spend!)
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by danam:
I was having a conversation with an amex agent a few weeks ago who said they will put plat cardholders forward for centurion on request, but only if they spend Ł30k a year on their card. I guess you just have to ask (and have the spend!)</font>
I had a Gold Amex for about 12 months which I never used, I was then invited to Platinum which I accepted. After another 12 months during which I had several issues with Amex including them charging someone elses flights to my account I wrote a letter of complaint. A few weeks later I got a Centurion invite and I was no where near spending 30K a year.

Nigel

Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:45 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:
I have had a Plat for about 4 years. For 3 years I spent on average Ł8k per month on travel, hotels. Over the last year my spend has dropped to around Ł1k per month as I charge most stuff to my BA amex. I recieved an invite 1 month ago to Centurion and accepted because I am a snob and like the colour of the card. Interstinly I haven't had to pay my membership fee for 2 years as I have had it waived for various reasons.</font>

Why was the fee waived ? If you do not want to post the reasons here, please e-mail me.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beergut:
... I wrote a letter of complaint....

A few weeks later I got a Centurion invite and I was no where near spending 30K a year.
</font>
Funnily enough, I wrote a letter of complaint to some at Platinum Card Services a few months before getting my invitation for Centurion. Mine was about a balls-up concerning MR redemption and the aggravation that it had caused me.

I was spending rather more than beergut on the card at the time though.

But, hey, writing a *****ing letter to someone in the Platinum Card department might just be the fast-track to Centurion
Old Mar 9, 2004, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beergut:
I had a Gold Amex for about 12 months which I never used, I was then invited to Platinum which I accepted. After another 12 months during which I had several issues with Amex including them charging someone elses flights to my account I wrote a letter of complaint. A few weeks later I got a Centurion invite and I was no where near spending 30K a year.

Nigel

</font>
If you don't mind me asking, about how much had you been spending per month and on what kinds of things? Cheers.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 2:36 pm

cool - can we have another discussion about Centurion qualification requirements? It's been a few weeks...
Old Mar 9, 2004, 5:08 pm

One thing I have noticed (as I have tried to catch up on all the posts in the last 2 years) is that centurion requirements have been dropping steadily for the past few years - at least peoples views on centurion requirements and stories about qualification seems to point to this.

In the beginning it was said you need to spend $150k/80k GBP to qualify, now that number has dropped to $50k/25k GBP. I for one hope amex stops dropping their standards or in a years time the Centurion will be what the Platinum was a year ago, albeit with a much higher annual fee. Funny how countries whose highest tier card is Platinum offer the exact same services as Centurion in others (save Platinum/VIP on certain hotel member programs etc) such as guestlist and free entrance to private member clubs and such.

I wonder if we will see a "Rainbow" card or something similar in a few years time with an annual fee of $3500

Old Mar 9, 2004, 5:50 pm

Programs: CENTURION, SPG-Gold, HH-Diamond, ANA-SFC, JAL-JGC, MX-Diamond, LHW Access, CLUB 5C, IHG Platinum
By the way,I'd like to ask UK Centurion members.

In UK,I think there was a "Member get Member" program.
Centurion members can introduce a suitable person to a Centurion member.
Is this program still valid ?
Does anyone know?

thanks

[This message has been edited by masahiro (edited Mar 09, 2004).]
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by masahiro:
By the way,I'd like to ask UK Centurion members.

In UK,I think there was a "Member get Member" program.
Centurion members can introduce a suitable person to a Centurion member.
Is this program still alive?
Does anyone know?

thanks
</font>

What were/are the Centurion requirements for Japan? And, do you think the kind of things someone buys affects whether they receive an invitation?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:01 pm

Programs: CENTURION, SPG-Gold, HH-Diamond, ANA-SFC, JAL-JGC, MX-Diamond, LHW Access, CLUB 5C, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flyer26:

What were/are the Centurion requirements for Japan? And, do you think the kind of things someone buys affects whether they receive an invitation?
</font>
I think there is requirements for upgrading to a Centurion card in Japan.But I don't know about requirements for Centurion.

I used the Platinum card for about two years.And I received invitation of a Centurion card in March 2003.
I think the kind of things someone buys affects. I paid to travel, hotel, airline ticket,and entertainment etc.

thanks

[This message has been edited by masahiro (edited Mar 09, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.