Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
That is my logic; but I don't know which regulator would get their attention. I do not expect the regulator to affect my case, but to get AMEX into a "consumer friendly" attitude of keeping promises from customer service reps. I would not have spent so much money on the card if they had told me at activation or signup that I would not get the bonus.
CFPB might be?

Google CFPB and see if their scope covers this.

Originally Posted by SamOF
I certainly agree that it's not a good case. And obviously the OP probably knew what what s/he was getting into when the app was made. But, here's the key for me: it's easy to imagine that Amex might make an exception to the general term in order to lure back a former good customer. If a rep then says "You'll get the bonus, now go do the spend," it seems reasonable to think that they made the exception, rely on that exception, and give Amex $$ in the form of merchant fees.

The obvious response is that the OP knew that they probably weren't purposely making an exception, so that certainly weakens a personal case. But regulators might be interested, because an average, non-FT-wise consumer could quite easily have done exactly what OP did.
Agree.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 22, 2014 at 10:14 am
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion started by miadeals has been removed because it was cross-posted here, and a Starwood representative is involved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...o-contact.html

The posts from this discussion have been exported to the Starwood Preferred Guest forum, and at the discretion of the Starwood moderators they will be incorporated into that thread.

Here is the rule:

Don't post your topic more than once. Duplicate threads or posts will be deleted, combined or locked. You may cross reference a post in another forum. For example, if you are questioning whether American Airlines or United Airlines may be the best fit for you, post the primary question in perhaps the American forum and then post a link to that thread in the United forum.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:55 pm

I contacted starwood lurker about the bonus denial, but she was unable to affect AMEX position. I did point out that the AMEX attitude is causing disrespect to the Starwood brand since customer service information is incorrect.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
I contacted starwood lurker about the bonus denial, but she was unable to affect AMEX position. I did point out that the AMEX attitude is causing disrespect to the Starwood brand since customer service information is incorrect.
File a case with the CFPB.

Then Amex will respond online and lie and say you don't deserve the bonus.

At this point you have to dispute their response to the CFPB so that the CFPB actually starts looking into your situation. Otherwise the website just closes the case and the CFPB doesn't see that you're getting screwed.

When it asked for the monetary value, I put what it would cost to buy the points. $500 something I believe.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:00 pm

Amex denying my 50,000 signup points

Hello folks, I am hoping one of you can help me out. I just spent 42 minutes on the phone with Amex.... and then I remembered this forum .

I received an offer in the mail, to sign up for a premier rewards gold card and get 50,000 points if I spent $1k in the first three months.

On March 29 I called to apply over the phone. The rep told me that the computers were down, but I could apply online. I did so. At the moment I hit 'send' for my application, the Amex website crashed.

I called the phone bank again, and asked whether my application had gone through. I was told the app went through, and my card was approved, but the system had somehow not registered me for the 50,000 offer.

I asked how to fix this. The rep said that my case would be reviewed.

I called back a few days later. The rep said the review was still pending and to call back.

I called again. The rep said to give them more time, and someone would contact me.

I gave them more time. Nothing happened.

I called again on May 26. The rep told me that it would be 'at least 30 more days' before my account was reviewed, and repeated that Amex would contact me.

I pointed out that, if approved, my points offer would expire on June 29, and that this was only a few days past 30. The rep said that if the 50,000 offer was approved, my deadline would be extended. And that I would be contacted.

I tried to be more patient. I waited 60 more days. I called in today. The rep said that the 50,000 after had been approved for me on May 27 (the day after my last call). But the deadline had not been extended, and was now closed. The rep acknowledged that the file stated I had not been notified.

Today's rep said she would put my file up for review again, but repeatedly hinted that a favorable outcome was unlikely.

It was extremely difficult, and involved much gentle pressure, but I finally got her to notate the facts of the case in the file. (What she initially read back to me from her notes eliminated all reference to the fact that I had not been informed, that I had been asked not to call back by previous reps, that I had been assured the deadline would be extended, etc.)

Is there anything I can do? Today's rep said that if I cancel the card and reapply, I will not be eligible for the 50,000 offer again.

Last edited by NilaJones; Sep 5, 2014 at 10:26 am
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:24 pm

I'm a little confused about the timeline.
1) You got an RSVP code offer in the mail for the 1k for 50K PRG.
2) You applied online on May 29th.
3) You got the card in the mail at some point after that.

Did you meet the 1k spend before the end of August?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
I'm a little confused about the timeline.
1) You got an RSVP code offer in the mail for the 1k for 50K PRG.
2) You applied online on May 29th.
3) You got the card in the mail at some point after that.

Did you meet the 1k spend before the end of August?
No, because I was told by the Amex rep that there was a computer error and my spending would not be applied to the 1k.

I did not use the card at all, understanding that resolution of the error might involve cancelling my card and issuing me a new one.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:36 pm

I see my post has been transferred to a long thread. I am not sure what the mod who did the transfer is trying to tell me.

Is it that AMEX does not, in general, honor their signup promises anymore?

Or is it that I should contact this CFPB, which I have not heard of?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:19 am
mia

Originally Posted by NilaJones
... I am not sure what the mod who did the transfer is trying to tell me. ...
Welcome to Flyertalk. Your thread was merged into the established thread on this topic because (a) members who have subscribed to this thread will automatically see your posts, and (b) reading about other people's experiences may prove helpful.

The merge does not contain any hidden meaning. American Express generally does award bonus points, but when things go wrong their system does not recover gracefully. You would be in a much stronger position if you had made the $1,000 spend. As it is, you need to decide if it is worth your time and effort to pursue. If you do wish to pursue it I would do everything via the US Postal service, simplify the story to report only what you observed, do not speculate about the causes. Include dates, times and names if known, and emphasize that you relied on the advice and promises of American Express employees, and that you expect American Express to honor the 50,000 point offer.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by NilaJones
Hello folks, I am hoping one of you can help me out. I just spent 42 minutes on the phone with Amex.... and then I remembered this forum .

I received an offer in the mail, to sign up for a premier rewards gold card and get 50,000 points if I spent $1k in the first three months.

On May 29 I called to apply over the phone. The rep told me that the computers were down, but I could apply online. I did so. At the moment I hit 'send' for my application, the Amex website crashed.

I called the phone bank again, and asked whether my application had gone through. I was told the app went through, and my card was approved, but the system had somehow not registered me for the 50,000 offer.

I asked how to fix this. The rep said that my case would be reviewed.

I called back a few days later. The rep said the review was still pending and to call back.

I called again. The rep said to give them more time, and someone would contact me.

I gave them more time. Nothing happened.

I called again on May 26. The rep told me that it would be 'at least 30 more days' before my account was reviewed, and repeated that Amex would contact me.

I pointed out that, if approved, my points offer would expire on June 29, and that this was only a few days past 30. The rep said that if the 50,000 offer was approved, my deadline would be extended. And that I would be contacted.

I tried to be more patient. I waited 60 more days. I called in today. The rep said that the 50,000 after had been approved for me on May 27 (the day after my last call). But the deadline had not been extended, and was now closed. The rep acknowledged that the file stated I had not been notified.

Today's rep said she would put my file up for review again, but repeatedly hinted that a favorable outcome was unlikely.

It was extremely difficult, and involved much gentle pressure, but I finally got her to notate the facts of the case in the file. (What she initially read back to me from her notes eliminated all reference to the fact that I had not been informed, that I had been asked not to call back by previous reps, that I had been assured the deadline would be extended, etc.)

Is there anything I can do? Today's rep said that if I cancel the card and reapply, I will not be eligible for the 50,000 offer again.
You need to review your post and fix the dates that are listed. You applied on May 29th and then called about your application on May 26th? Obviously a glaring typo.

Also, have you ever held an Amex Gold or Platinum card previously?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by rjs11
You need to review your post and fix the dates that are listed. You applied on May 29th and then called about your application on May 26th? Obviously a glaring typo.

Also, have you ever held an Amex Gold or Platinum card previously?
Thank you for pointing out the typo! The application was March 29th, and the May 26th phone call was one of many calls.

I have had personal and business Amex starpoints cards in the past,. Not sure about platinum.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mia
If you do wish to pursue it I would do everything via the US Postal service, simplify the story to report only what you observed, do not speculate about the causes. Include dates, times and names if known, and emphasize that you relied on the advice and promises of American Express employees, and that you expect American Express to honor the 50,000 point offer.
Thank you very much, Mia, for the explanation and advice .

I have read about 2/3 of this long thread, and have not seen anyone post that they had a successful outcome, except those who were dealing with Amex starpoints cards and were able to get Starwood involved.

It was interesting to note that several other posters mentioned being told 'we will contact you'. The rep I spoke with yesterday indicated that she did not believe me when I told her I had been told that twice.

She said that the marketing department, who handles these issues, does not have the capability to call people. I post this in the hope it may help someone.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
American Express Lies

Took about 80% of my business away from them because of these lies and incompetence.
Chase is far better.

Called to sign up for DL Platinum. Asked if I was eligible for 50,000 Bonus and told yes . Approved instantly ,as I been a member for 50 years.

Got card immediately spent required $1000 and called to confirm that I had met the requirements and would be getting Bonus. (Because I don't trust Them).

Took 2 or 3 minutes and came back and said yes bonus would be given 7-10 days after month closed. I went ahead and paid the $195 fee. 3 weeks after the month closed so I called to ask . This time someone tells me I am not eligible for the bonus and will not be getting it. Asked for Supervisor and explained to her how I applied for Card and 2 different representative told me I would be getting the bonus.

Basically in a nice way she said Tough. They were wrong . You are not getting.

Final straw for me . When I return form this trip I will cancel all the card with fees and keep any with no fees so it costs them money and I will spend Zero with AMX and give all my business to Chase.

Do not believe anything a representative tell you on the phone . They are all either incompetent or liars.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:18 am
mia

Originally Posted by kapkap46
... Asked if I was eligible for 50,000 Bonus and told yes .
Personal or business? What were the terms of the offer? Had you previously held the same card?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
What difference does that make? That is why I called rather then go online. I asked was I eligible and they took my application on the phone and immediately approved it. 50 year member. Within 2 days the they charged me $195 fee. The Card give me no benefits useful to me except the Bonus.

I charged $1000 quickly and then called back to ask if I had met the requirements and again it took a few minutes and they came back and said yes.

Am I supposed to assume that everyone I talk to at. AMX is an Idiot. I asked and I received assurances not once but twice. That should be the end of the story.

You don't get to call a time out after you stolen $195 from and tell me I am not eligible

In other words Sorry Sucker!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.