Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Jeremy Clarkson Centurion article in The Sunday Times

Jeremy Clarkson Centurion article in The Sunday Times

Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:31 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
And when he stepped off he at Heathrow he said:

'One small step for man, one giant leap back for mankind'

&lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt;
</font>

That is your best post ever

can't stop laughing.

One FT actually sat next to Neil Armstrong on a QF flight. See AA or Travel Buzz celebrity sightings!
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:14 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Great article but Clarkson is a total d**khead. If he's typical of Centurion cardholders then it's a very shabby card indeed.

Slightly off topic for the AmEx board, but picking up on an earlier post to this string: if BA is inviting him to be on the last Concorde, I'm surprised that he has such trouble getting into the lounge at LHR...
Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I think Jeremy Clarkson reads his audiance well (hint: it isn't going to be travel hardened flyer talkers who might know what they want out of one of these cards and know how to take advantage of the benefits).

Regards
I
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by virtualtroy:
Great article but Clarkson is a total d**khead. If he's typical of Centurion cardholders then it's a very shabby card indeed.

</font>
He's not all bad , he loved the VX220 while others were slagging it off for being a Vauxhall

Nigel

Old Jan 16, 2004, 12:04 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beergut:
He's not all bad , he loved the VX220 while others were slagging it off for being a Vauxhall

Nigel

</font>
Sorry, what I meant to say is he's a d**khead who lacks elegance

[This message has been edited by virtualtroy (edited Jan 16, 2004).]
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA 3MM
Living several thousand miles away from the nearest newstand where I could pick up the Sunday Times on a sunday morning, I pay my STG39.99 per annum simply for the privilege of reading Clarkson with my morning coffee on Sunday mornings.

He is a rare editorialising genius and master of the comic bon mot.... I do not doubt he came up with that line on leaving the Concorde, thanks to the ubiquitous fbg for posting it though !

Oh, and for our American friends, Clarkson writes about 1000 words each Sunday of observational comedy, masked as a new car review.....yes, a motoring journalist.... but when you read his "reviews" often the first 90% of the article has absolutely nothing to do with the car he is supposed to be reviewing, but is normally chockful with stuff which makes you laugh out loud over your Sunday morning coffee.

Oh, and yes, he probably is a d**head, but a funny one !
Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Internaut:
(hint: it isn't going to be travel hardened flyer talkers who might know what they want out of one of these cards and know how to take advantage of the benefits).</font>
If you ask me, real travel hardened FTers should be able to get the benefits of a Centurion card without such the card and for less than $2500 a year.

d
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
If you ask me, real travel hardened FTers should be able to get the benefits of a Centurion card without such the card and for less than $2500 a year.

d
</font>
Obviously, anyone who travels enough already has Hilton this, Starwood that and shiny bits of plastic for every airline going.

BTW, I wouldn't want to brag on behalf of European Amex users but $2500 for a Centurian is a great example of US Amex customers being short changed in comparison with Amex's European customers.

[This message has been edited by Internaut (edited Jan 22, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TomCayman:
... I pay my STG39.99 per annum simply for the privilege of reading Clarkson with my morning coffee on Sunday mornings ...</font>
Goodness, and people claim American Express cards are poor value for money!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.