AMEX lounges?

Old Sep 25, 02, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
AMEX lounges?

Somewhere I seem to recall reading that AMEX has its own airport lounges, but in all my travels I have never seen one! Are there really AMEX lounges, or does the card give entry to someone else's lounges??? Same question for Diners Club?
Old Sep 25, 02, 8:02 pm

Never heard of such a thing as AMEX lounges. DC does have some though, listed on their site... try http://www.dinersclub.com/airport.cfm

Old Sep 25, 02, 11:31 pm

You can try to call Amex Help Centers if you have a Plat or Centurion Card. They a list of the lounges you can access for free mainly in the US.
But remember you have to have a Plat or a Centurion Card.

kooks.

[This message has been edited by kooks (edited 09-25-2002).]
Old Sep 26, 02, 12:07 am

The Amex-Lounges are listed on the US-website under Platinum Card benefits. Have a look there.

Not really many of the, but I used the Amex lounge in FRA several times, which in this case is originally the American Airlines Admirals Club.
Old Sep 26, 02, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
There is an AmEx lounge at Vienna airport (as well as DC, *A, BA etc etc).

I wasn't aware that it was limited to Plat/Centurion.

None of the lounges is very special. The BA lounge is more comfortable, but seems to have the same catering as the others.
Old Jan 20, 03, 11:03 am

According to Information from Amex since Nov. 2002 the Admirals Club Lounge in Frankfurt is no longer an AMEX Lounge.
If this is true I will really miss it, because it was conveniently located before
the security checks.
Anybody knows if the Priority Club Lounges
(e.g. ECC /Terminal 1)are of the same quality?
Old Jan 21, 03, 7:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by piet:
According to Information from Amex since Nov. 2002 the Admirals Club Lounge in Frankfurt is no longer an AMEX Lounge.
If this is true I will really miss it, because it was conveniently located before
the security checks.
Anybody knows if the Priority Club Lounges
(e.g. ECC /Terminal 1)are of the same quality?
</font>
It is true, sadly enough and I don't want to compare the Admiral's Club vs. ECC. The AC was always empty and I liked the atmosphere ... very very sad decision of Amex !
Old Jan 21, 03, 8:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Berki:
It is true, sadly enough and I don't want to compare the Admiral's Club vs. ECC. The AC was always empty and I liked the atmosphere ... very very sad decision of Amex !</font>
Yes, very bad (probably cost saving) decision and this move devaluates the card.
It was so easy to use this lounge w/ guests,
whereas PriorityPass Lounges sometimes even charge you for guests though you where alone.

Old Jan 21, 03, 10:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The Amex-Lounges are listed on the US-website under Platinum Card benefits.
</font>
I seem to recall a few independent Amex lounges on this list in the past, but it only lists CO, DL, and NW lounges now:

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...41,3135,00.asp

Another unwelcome cost-cutting measure . It would have been much better if those lounges could be accessed irrespective of airlines flown.
Old Jan 21, 03, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime gold, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Many years ago while I was a student and backpack traveled in Brazil, there was an AMEX Lounge at the Sao Paulo.

It was a small lounge with beverage service. It's smaller than most airport lounges in the US. I had only the basic AMEX green but they let me in.

That's the only AMEX lounge I know of.

Old Jan 21, 03, 11:29 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I remember one in Mexico City (back in 2000) - before security check though, and one in Buenos Aires - but think that the latter has gone now.
Old Jan 22, 03, 5:51 am

To monahos:
Thanks yor your advise, you´are right!

I just checked the amex us-website and there are no more "private" Amex-lounges left.

Well, to be honest, I was expecting this!
Just sad to see "world class service" going to the dogs.

For any US frequent traveller I would suggest getting a priority pass and I would highly recommend a Diners Club Card especially if you travell a lot in Europe an Asia.
Old Jan 22, 03, 2:10 pm

Programs: Various
I would recommend a Priority Pass too! Very useful if you fly regularly.

They have just revamped thier tiers and pricing structure:- www.prioritypass.com

Not bad bearing in mind UK Platinums come with 1 Prestige Level membership, and UK Centurions with 2 Prestige memberships.

$399 or $798 value, not bad £245/£490 in value when you take into consideration that the annual fees are £275/650 or is this benefit goign to disappear soon....

Thanks,
Richard
Old Jan 23, 03, 1:27 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
I would recommend a Priority Pass too! Very useful if you fly regularly.

They have just revamped thier tiers and pricing structure:- www.prioritypass.com

Not bad bearing in mind UK Platinums come with 1 Prestige Level membership, and UK Centurions with 2 Prestige memberships.

$399 or $798 value, not bad £245/£490 in value when you take into consideration that the annual fees are £275/650 or is this benefit goign to disappear soon....

Thanks,
Richard
</font>
Sure PP is a useful feature of the AMEX Plt./Cent. cards but I do not like the phrase
"Accompanying guests are welcome too at a per person, per visit fee of US$24, charged to the member’s payment card"

I still have to find the lounge that
is worth US$24 per visit.
In the former Amex Lounge in Frankfurt you where able to bring guests without additional fee.

Old Jan 23, 03, 4:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by piet:

I still have to find the lounge that
is worth US$24 per visit.
In the former Amex Lounge in Frankfurt you where able to bring guests without additional fee.

</font>
You are so right

Search this Thread
Search Engine: