AMEX lounges?

Old Sep 25, 02, 7:33 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Posts: 3,822
AMEX lounges?

Somewhere I seem to recall reading that AMEX has its own airport lounges, but in all my travels I have never seen one! Are there really AMEX lounges, or does the card give entry to someone else's lounges??? Same question for Diners Club?
100,000miler is offline  
Old Sep 25, 02, 8:02 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Whitby ON Canada
Posts: 641
Never heard of such a thing as AMEX lounges. DC does have some though, listed on their site... try http://www.dinersclub.com/airport.cfm

pdjcrawford is offline  
Old Sep 25, 02, 11:31 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 671
You can try to call Amex Help Centers if you have a Plat or Centurion Card. They a list of the lounges you can access for free mainly in the US.
But remember you have to have a Plat or a Centurion Card.

kooks.

[This message has been edited by kooks (edited 09-25-2002).]
kooks is offline  
Old Sep 26, 02, 12:07 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 210
The Amex-Lounges are listed on the US-website under Platinum Card benefits. Have a look there.

Not really many of the, but I used the Amex lounge in FRA several times, which in this case is originally the American Airlines Admirals Club.
axel1 is offline  
Old Sep 26, 02, 5:09 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London and Zurich
Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Posts: 13,609
There is an AmEx lounge at Vienna airport (as well as DC, *A, BA etc etc).

I wasn't aware that it was limited to Plat/Centurion.

None of the lounges is very special. The BA lounge is more comfortable, but seems to have the same catering as the others.
Roger is offline  
Old Jan 20, 03, 11:03 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 195
According to Information from Amex since Nov. 2002 the Admirals Club Lounge in Frankfurt is no longer an AMEX Lounge.
If this is true I will really miss it, because it was conveniently located before
the security checks.
Anybody knows if the Priority Club Lounges
(e.g. ECC /Terminal 1)are of the same quality?
piet is offline  
Old Jan 21, 03, 7:37 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Pedro, CA, USA / LH M&M, Motel 6 Premier
Posts: 726
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by piet:
According to Information from Amex since Nov. 2002 the Admirals Club Lounge in Frankfurt is no longer an AMEX Lounge.
If this is true I will really miss it, because it was conveniently located before
the security checks.
Anybody knows if the Priority Club Lounges
(e.g. ECC /Terminal 1)are of the same quality?
</font>
It is true, sadly enough and I don't want to compare the Admiral's Club vs. ECC. The AC was always empty and I liked the atmosphere ... very very sad decision of Amex !
Berki is offline  
Old Jan 21, 03, 8:21 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 195
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Berki:
It is true, sadly enough and I don't want to compare the Admiral's Club vs. ECC. The AC was always empty and I liked the atmosphere ... very very sad decision of Amex !</font>
Yes, very bad (probably cost saving) decision and this move devaluates the card.
It was so easy to use this lounge w/ guests,
whereas PriorityPass Lounges sometimes even charge you for guests though you where alone.

piet is offline  
Old Jan 21, 03, 10:04 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,667
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The Amex-Lounges are listed on the US-website under Platinum Card benefits.
</font>
I seem to recall a few independent Amex lounges on this list in the past, but it only lists CO, DL, and NW lounges now:

http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif...41,3135,00.asp

Another unwelcome cost-cutting measure . It would have been much better if those lounges could be accessed irrespective of airlines flown.
monahos is offline  
Old Jan 21, 03, 10:24 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime gold, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,005
Many years ago while I was a student and backpack traveled in Brazil, there was an AMEX Lounge at the Sao Paulo.

It was a small lounge with beverage service. It's smaller than most airport lounges in the US. I had only the basic AMEX green but they let me in.

That's the only AMEX lounge I know of.



Bookexp is offline  
Old Jan 21, 03, 11:29 am
  #11  
GK
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: UK
Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Posts: 3,148
I remember one in Mexico City (back in 2000) - before security check though, and one in Buenos Aires - but think that the latter has gone now.
GK is offline  
Old Jan 22, 03, 5:51 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 210
To monahos:
Thanks yor your advise, you´are right!

I just checked the amex us-website and there are no more "private" Amex-lounges left.

Well, to be honest, I was expecting this!
Just sad to see "world class service" going to the dogs.

For any US frequent traveller I would suggest getting a priority pass and I would highly recommend a Diners Club Card especially if you travell a lot in Europe an Asia.
axel1 is offline  
Old Jan 22, 03, 2:10 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Various
Posts: 2,128
I would recommend a Priority Pass too! Very useful if you fly regularly.

They have just revamped thier tiers and pricing structure:- www.prioritypass.com

Not bad bearing in mind UK Platinums come with 1 Prestige Level membership, and UK Centurions with 2 Prestige memberships.

$399 or $798 value, not bad £245/£490 in value when you take into consideration that the annual fees are £275/650 or is this benefit goign to disappear soon....

Thanks,
Richard
RichardMannion is offline  
Old Jan 23, 03, 1:27 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 195
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
I would recommend a Priority Pass too! Very useful if you fly regularly.

They have just revamped thier tiers and pricing structure:- www.prioritypass.com

Not bad bearing in mind UK Platinums come with 1 Prestige Level membership, and UK Centurions with 2 Prestige memberships.

$399 or $798 value, not bad £245/£490 in value when you take into consideration that the annual fees are £275/650 or is this benefit goign to disappear soon....

Thanks,
Richard
</font>
Sure PP is a useful feature of the AMEX Plt./Cent. cards but I do not like the phrase
"Accompanying guests are welcome too at a per person, per visit fee of US$24, charged to the member’s payment card"

I still have to find the lounge that
is worth US$24 per visit.
In the former Amex Lounge in Frankfurt you where able to bring guests without additional fee.

piet is offline  
Old Jan 23, 03, 4:48 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 265
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by piet:

I still have to find the lounge that
is worth US$24 per visit.
In the former Amex Lounge in Frankfurt you where able to bring guests without additional fee.

</font>
You are so right
Howie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: