Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracking Promotions UK [2013 - 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Can you expand on that? 2*£20 non Argos gift cards can be purchased from Argos for £30?
If you buy 2, £20 non Argos giftcards Argos will sell them to you for £30. If they are £10 giftcards if you buy 2 they are discounted to £15. Therefore a 25% discount on the cards they sell. £15 or £25 giftcards are not part of the deal.

Argos sell a wide range of giftcards so effectively are giving you 25% discount of goods from other stores. The offer is meant to run for a few weeks but I don't think they have considered the demand that this will create and so may terminate it early or run out of giftcards.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by flyoff
If you buy 2, £20 non Argos giftcards Argos will sell them to you for £30. If they are £10 giftcards if you buy 2 they are discounted to £15. Therefore a 25% discount on the cards they sell. £15 or £25 giftcards are not part of the deal.

Argos sell a wide range of giftcards so effectively are giving you 25% discount of goods from other stores. The offer is meant to run for a few weeks but I don't think they have considered the demand that this will create and so may terminate it early or run out of giftcards.
Wow. I was unaware of that.

I'm assuming Argos won't let you pay for gift cards with gift cards?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond,
Wow. I was unaware of that.

I'm assuming Argos won't let you pay for gift cards with gift cards?
They will allow Argos vouchers to be used for buying non-Argos vouchers even though the smallprint on the cards say you can't buy giftcards/vouchers. I assume this relates to buying other Argos cards to prevent them from expiring. Sourcing them from Tesco in multiples of £50 gives you 150 Clubcard points, via Shell and using your Amex 30% discount for a £50 voucher.

It is a great deal.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
They certainly do. I bought some today. Argos, Next, Debenhams, Itunes, B&Q, Boots and more that I can't remember. Nice 30% discount.

If you buy the Argos ones, and wait for the card to be enabled (they say 3 days) you can buy other giftcards at a discount. 2*£20 non-Argos giftcards for £30 or 2*£10 non-Argos for £15. Double discount time!
Yes, I saw the post on MSE about the Shell vouchers - hadn't appreciated the cunning Argos deal though!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
They will allow Argos vouchers to be used for buying non-Argos vouchers even though the smallprint on the cards say you can't buy giftcards/vouchers. I assume this relates to buying other Argos cards to prevent them from expiring. Sourcing them from Tesco in multiples of £50 gives you 150 Clubcard points, via Shell and using your Amex 30% discount for a £50 voucher.

It is a great deal.
That's unreal.

£35 for £50 Argos voucher from Shell.

Turn that into £40 of high st vouchers at Argos, at a cost of £30 off your gift card. Still have £20 left over on the card. Use that for £20 gift vouchers at a cost of £15 off the card. Still have £5 left over on the card.

So that's £60 of high st vouchers and £5 Argos for £35???
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:19 am

Out of interest, for those purchasing from Shell how are they showing up on your statement? I've had one transaction so far - found the station on 4sq and checked in/loaded as usual. However it's showing up as 'AUTORENT' on my Amex statement (despite being a normal Shell receipt) - will see in a day or so if the credit posts OK, but with it not showing as Shell I may need to chase, which is a bit of a pain for multiple transactions. No in-app notification but I find them very hit-or-miss.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Out of interest, for those purchasing from Shell how are they showing up on your statement? I've had one transaction so far - found the station on 4sq and checked in/loaded as usual. However it's showing up as 'AUTORENT' on my Amex statement (despite being a normal Shell receipt) - will see in a day or so if the credit posts OK, but with it not showing as Shell I may need to chase, which is a bit of a pain for multiple transactions. No in-app notification but I find them very hit-or-miss.
I got my notification for yesterday's spend. First notification I've had, I think.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:54 am

I got my notification for yesterday's spend. First notification I've had, I think.
May I asked how it posted on your Amex a/c?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:06 am

May I asked how it posted on your Amex a/c?
"Shell Centralised Indoor"
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:11 am

Interestingly, I posted about the Shell £15 off £50 deal on Facebook, and mentioned that people could get the deal by signing up to an Amex GC and they'd also get £100 Amazon voucher or 2 BA European flights... EIGHTEEN people asked me to send them a referral link...

Even if only half of them sign up (though I think it will be more), that's a lot of MRs for almost no effort!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:17 am

Thanks - sounds like I'll need to chase this one manually then, perhaps something for others to watch out for?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 4:18 am

Thanks - sounds like I'll need to chase this one manually then, perhaps something for others to watch out for?
I'll stick to my local garage.

Oddly it's a new garage which wasn't listed to check-in to on the 4SQ app. Was expecting to have some issues, but all seems OK. Off to buy gift vouchers later.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Mine showed as that as well.

I got a new notification instantly though.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:07 am

Went into Shell today and asked about high street gift cards. Chap looked at me like I'd asked him to strip off and roll in the snow.

Apparently my local Shell does not do gift cards.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:25 am

Yes - out of interest for those that have seen them on sale are they obvious or do you need to ask for them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.