Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton downgraded status of Centurion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2003, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Hilton downgraded status of Centurion

I have just spoken to Centurion (UK) about being downgraded to HHonors blue having not used Hilton for 2 years. They were initially confused about this but have now received fax confirmation from HHonors stating that Centurion card holders will receive a HHonors gold card but will have to make 1 stay each year to manitain the gold status. Apparently HHonors had changed their policy a couple of weeks ago. Centurion does not know if there are changes for Amex Platinum. Speak to Courtney or Sue at Centurion UK (Travel) if you have any queries. Courtney who is the 'team leader' is confident that Hilton will revert to their old policy as 'Hilton is one of their closest business partners' and they are currently on the case. However they were unable to tell me how long it might take.

Richard can you check this out with Centurion as I am getting nowhere with them.

I wonder if Hilton changed their ploicy in response to increasing numbers of Centurion card holders.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 5:11 am

Location: Port Angeles, WA, USA Unwanted by AS, Hilton-Diamond, Starwood Platnum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Vijian:
I have just spoken to Centurion (UK) about being downgraded to HHonors blue having not used Hilton for 2 years. They were initially confused about this but have now received fax confirmation from HHonors stating that Centurion card holders will receive a HHonors gold card but will have to make 1 stay each year to manitain the gold status.</font>
I'm confused, if you don't stay there what difference does it make?

------------------
"A day without Points is like a day without SUNSHINE"
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:09 am

I think it´s just more than understandable for Hilton or any other profit orientated company:

Why should I give someone "elite status" in my customer program, when he doesn´t even use it or not even spend the equivalent amount off affordable nights in my hotels !?

And why should I give an upgrade to someone who books a decend rate or over the internet, just because he holds a certain credit card, when on the other hand I can upgrade other people, who are willing to pay the equivalent fare or even the rack rate for that higher category?!
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:34 am

Programs: Various
Hilton's loss if they ahve done this:

a) They have a stupid amount of promo's each year dishing out Gold status.

b) Amex themseleves are dishing out Silver level and Gold after 4 stays for any AmEx cardholder.

c) Hilton shooting themselves as Starwood haven't changed anything like this so they have the upperhand again. Platinum for Centurions regardless.

d) If this is the case, make it Centurions issue. Its advertised as a benefit and there has been no notice of any changes.

Ask to speak to the travel manager and explain that you want it sorting out.

I'm fine as I was Gold anyway, now Diamond.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Jan 30, 2003, 6:41 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
If someone never stays at a Hilton he/she does not need any Hilton Card, status, offer or phone number. I would simply not bother about Hilton then. 1 night for gold = ridiculous.
Yes, Amex and Hilton are close partners and I recently had three fine stays with them. I would have chosen different hotels if Amex had not given the benefit of HHonors Gold status.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 8:01 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Vijian:

I don't know if this will work but you could try it anyway.

Transfer/use any miles you have within your account and then cancel it. You're only HHonors Blue anyway so you're not really losing anything.

Once you have confirmation that your account is cancelled, set up a new HHonors Gold account through Centurion. Since it's a new account, it might work.

What do you think?

Strictly speaking though, you shouldn't have to go through this nonsense. Since your contract is with Amex, Amex are accountable for this and not Hilton.

Old Jan 30, 2003, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:

b) Amex themseleves are dishing out Silver level and Gold after 4 stays for any AmEx cardholder.
</font>
Really? Who do I talk to about getting gold after 4 stays? My current Gold will expire soon as I didn't have enough stays (but I have more than four!)

EDITED TO ADD:

Never mind, I found the answer here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/006454.html

Sounds like I need to call HH with code SMGD.

Does anyone know if award stays count toward the total needed to qualify for this?

[This message has been edited by xyzzy (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:24 am

My business associate recently acquired a US Centurion card, and his "welcome" book, which was probably printed in the 3rd or 4th quarter of last year (it does not mention the DL Crown room benefit, for example) states that with respect to ALL of the hotel partners if you do not stay at least once per year you will lose your elite status. But it goes on to stay that the status can be restored with one call to AMEX Customer Service.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

You are right. My HHonors Gold card is on it's way but Centurion will be clarifying this situation further with Hilton for future queries.

I rarely use Hilton so it's nice to have the Gold status just in case I have to stay at a Hilton property.

UK Centurion card holders are supposed get HHonors Gold status for the duration of the Centurion membership. This confusion arose because Hilton seemed to have recently changed their policy

[This message has been edited by Vijian (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 31, 2003, 2:47 am

Vijian - I was in a similar situation last year having not used my Hilton card whereby the gold status was lost.

Needed to start using Hilton, so a swift call to Centurion, who called Hilton and a few days later, a gold Hilton card was issued with a new account number.

Apparently, at the time, it was Hilton's fault for not recognising the auto-gold-renewal aspect of the Amex-Hilton relationship.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I find Hilton Gold to be minimally beneficial. What am I missing?
Old Feb 26, 2003, 8:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:
I find Hilton Gold to be minimally beneficial. What am I missing?</font>
Depends where you stay, for instance at the Dubai Creek Hilton I've ALWAYS got upgraded and had free room service breakfast for 2 people. Also late checkout if needed.

Nigel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.