Nat West Black

Old Feb 5, 2003, 3:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kovich:
I believe (quote in the paper recently but hey what do they know) that only 8% of Britons earn over Ł40,000 pa. Since almost everyone I know earns in the 40,000 to 70,000 bracket then the % earning over 70,000 is likely to be much smaller.
</font>
This is very interesting. It may explain the shock a friend of mine had recently when looking for jobs with American investment banks in London - their packages were significantly lower than in NY. It may also explain why I had two landlords literally fighting over who could offer me the best incentives to move into their respective flats. Since I'm paid out of NY on a US package, it seems that I should count myself lucky to be among one of the highest paid in Britain. In direct contrast, NatWest private banking has been nothing but difficult and unhelpful. They are the worst private bank I have ever dealt with (and I've dealt with a few). I wouldn't touch any card they offered with a ten foot pole.

On the other hand, that entire 8% must live in London - it's just way too expensive IMHO otherwise.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 4:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jja34-1:
This is very interesting. It may explain the shock a friend of mine had recently when looking for jobs with American investment banks in London - their packages were significantly lower than in NY. </font>
Having worked for American investment banks in London for some time, I can tell you that this is a bit of an over-simplification.

Lots of US banks offered US employees expat packages that were fairly obscene and contributed to an explosion in house prices in Chelsea, Kensington, etc. Many of these have been cut or are not being renewed. Whilst anecdotal, I can tell you plenty of stories of friends whose packages came to an end and were not renewed and were told that the had to stump up for their own living expenses. Since not many were prepared to pay Ł1,000 to Ł2,000 per week out of their own take-home pay, several moved back to the US and now live in CT or NJ.

The pay packages that I have come across are not vastly different in the US than the UK.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 9:37 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jja34-1:
In direct contrast, NatWest private banking has been nothing but difficult and unhelpful. They are the worst private bank I have ever dealt with (and I've dealt with a few).</font>
Coutts are outstanding but it all depends on how good a relationship you have with the bank.
Old Feb 6, 2003, 10:31 am

I received an invite for the Natwest Black card the week before it was officially launched (not preapproved). I completed the form and posted it.

They declined me.

Somewhat annoyed I called the number on the refusal letter to discuss, explaining that I have an Amex Centurion and BA Amex card with a Ł20k credit-limit.

I confirmed that my earning were above Ł70k, that I had no bad credit history (I previously worked at Experian so am pretty savvy in this area) and that I spend on average $51k (OK it is mostly expenses) a month on my AMEX card.

Natwest just said "our selection criteria are more exhaustive than the American Express Centurion card". End of story.

Maybe this really is a more exclusive card!

Nick
Old Feb 6, 2003, 1:25 pm

Programs: Various
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by axel1:
And how high are your OWN personal spendings - without counting the supplementary cards, business expenses, your collegues airline tickets, etc..., charged to your personal card ?</font>
a) What's it to you?
b) What benefit does this your post have to the discussion in hand? Absolutely none whatsoever. It was your usual trait of pulling my posts apart. Just get over the fact that I have a Centurion Card.

And for whats its worth a substantial proporation of my spend is my own personal spend.

Don't bother posting anymore useles rubbish. If it doesn't add value to the conversation then don't post it, personal vendettas and/or cheap shots will not be tolerated anymore.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Feb 6, 2003, 4:10 pm

Merry-

I read in another post that the Nat West Black card has an income requirement of $100,000 pounds. So that may be the reason you did not qualify for the card
Old Feb 7, 2003, 12:21 am

Richard -

honey, don´t flatter yourself ...
Old Feb 7, 2003, 12:57 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichardMannion:
[B] a) What's it to you?
b) What benefit does this your post have to the discussion in hand? Absolutely none whatsoever.

I think you're wrong Richard. If you're going to brag like an insecure schoolboy about how much money you spend on your card, then at least be prepared for people to ask about your spend. The fact that you repeatedly assume people are jealous of the fact you have a Centurion Card says a great deal about you. As does that fact that you continue to mention how young you are, the newspaper articles written about you and your amazing card etc... here and on other forums.
Perhaps we're not jealous of your mythical card status at all and just want these forums to be run in a professional and functional manner. You have added a lot of useful information for myself and other users about AmEx and the pros and cons of Centurion and I for one am grateful for that, but I don't believe many people on this forum care about your own personal wealth (or lack of it), your imaginary notoriety for having a black card, or your age.
If you are going to moderate this board then I would hope you have the maturity to do so in a professional manner.
Just a thought.
J
Old Feb 7, 2003, 2:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Merry:
I received an invite for the Natwest Black card the week before it was officially launched (not preapproved). I completed the form and posted it.

They declined me.

Somewhat annoyed I called the number on the refusal letter to discuss, explaining that I have an Amex Centurion and BA Amex card with a Ł20k credit-limit.

I confirmed that my earning were above Ł70k, that I had no bad credit history (I previously worked at Experian so am pretty savvy in this area) and that I spend on average $51k (OK it is mostly expenses) a month on my AMEX card.

Natwest just said "our selection criteria are more exhaustive than the American Express Centurion card". End of story.

Maybe this really is a more exclusive card!

Nick
</font>

Nick - you're kidding, right?

[This message has been edited by Canista (edited 02-07-2003).]
Old Feb 7, 2003, 8:02 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

now, gettting back to the topic...
Old Feb 7, 2003, 8:19 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Merry:

I have one friend who was rejected for a basic Visa with NatWest. She couldn't understand the rejection and contacted her manager at Coutts who sorted things out for her.

So basically, if RBS can satisfy the criteria for a person to open a Coutts account, how come that person can't satisfy the criteria for a simple NatWest credit card?

Oh well ... she got the card in the end!

edited for typos ... always typos ... and more typos

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 02-07-2003).]
Old Feb 7, 2003, 9:14 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SteveT:
Merry-

I read in another post that the Nat West Black card has an income requirement of $100,000 pounds. So that may be the reason you did not qualify for the card
</font>
I'm guessing Merry earns far more than that .... I remember him saying he has an account with Amercian Express Banking ... and they have a very high income requirement ...
Old Feb 7, 2003, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Hey, why was the WHY IS THE THREAD CLOSED thread closed ... we could debate that some more
Old Feb 7, 2003, 10:46 am

Going back many years to when I worked at NatWest the way credit scoring is completed is very interesting - income is only a small part of it. Things like not having a fixed line telphone in your house is a negative, having more than 6 credit cards is a negative etc etc. In some cases someone who earns a lot could be living in a rented house, with no fixed line telephone and have lots of cards. This use to lead to a bad credit score.
Old Feb 7, 2003, 11:24 am

NatWest Black is a MasterCard. Why is this posted in the American Express Forum?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.